Gareth Barry TRANSFER is On * / Off * - *Delete where appropriate

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:43 am

OneHotRed wrote:
s@int wrote:
OneHotRed wrote:
s@int wrote:
Rush Job wrote:Its going to end up like it is on the continent with the CEO's and director of football doing the signing of players and the manager will just be head coach.

The thing is Rushie that at least the Director of football on the continent is usually someone who has experience of football, and is considered an expert on players and their abilities and value.

Hicks and Gillett are not my idea of experts! If they want to bring in say Kenny Dalglish as director of football with Rafa's agreement thats fair enough.

They wont be making the decision on their own, they will have advisors, people close to the fans, they will have listened to the Barry chants against Lazio.

They are arsoles but they arent stupid, I think they ddid right with this decision because its obvious they are the correct ones out of them and Rafa this time, i'll bet it will be a once in a lifetime thing though :D

I think you missed the word disgraceful out mate. The Barry chants were totally out of order and thankfully short lived.

Of course, if they had listened to the fans we would never have got Torres either, as he wasn't prem proven, wasn't a top striker, got most of his goals from penalties and would never make it in the prem.

Transfers are ALWAYS a gamble, Rafa imo has tried to reduce the risk by buying two mature, experienced players to whom the prem will hold little or no surprises.

I fully agree with you S@int -  I really do, but I cannot say I think the GB move was a good one, I think we would have been "strengthening" the only area I dont think we need it.

If we didnt have alonso, masch, sg, lucas, plessis and others who could come through. little spearing for example then I could see why we would maybe do it, but even so 18m is taking the :censored:, and everyone knows it, as for the silva thing, i dont care if its him or not, I do however think 15m+ pricetags should be saved for people who we could actually sell on afte 2 years for a decent amount.

I think this is why its such a problem for Rafa now. I think most people thought the price was ridiculous, and most hoped for a more creative player than Barry as well. While even more thought swopping Alonso for Barry was a step backwards or at best a sideways move.

The thing is though that Rafa obviously wanted this deal badly or he wouldn't have pursued it so relentlessly. So do you back the manager (who's job it is) or the owners, just because you believe rightly or wrongly that we could get better for our money.

Maybe they have taken advice, spoken to Klinsmann or whoever, but they are already paying a manager to make those decisions, and imo he should be backed or sacked.

I hope it all blows over and we get a great top quality winger, but I think the way they have allowed this whole situation to develop before finally pulling the plug has made Liverpool fc look really bad.

What player will now gamble their future on any promises we make about signing them? We have left Barry in a very difficult position unless he can find a way out, and this was his testimonial year too.
account deleted by request

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:27 am

Cue  :D  Robert Peel
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby maguskwt » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:02 am

the owners should just stop interfering with rafa's job...end of story... if they say 18 million is available then it is rafa's job to decide what the team needs and who to spend it on. saying " 18 million is too expensive for barry, why don't you buy silva instead" is not the way to go... whether we like what rafa is doing or not is another matter... but right now he's the manager and he should be given the backing to do his job without any interference... if they don't like what rafa is doing, then they can fire him citing that his performance as a manager is not up to the mark... and that is the owners' job...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:59 am

I'm a big Rafa fan and I'm satisfied with most of his signings, but I've got to say that I agree with the owners on this one.  Rafa should have pulled out of this deal weeks ago, when Villa demanded 18 mill for Barry.  I hope that Rafa does not go furious over this and instead finds someone who'd be more useful to our team.  Getting a quality attacking wide player would be an ideal way to wrap up our summer transfer season.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby OneHotRed » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:24 am

s@int wrote:I think this is why its such a problem for Rafa now. I think most people thought the price was ridiculous, and most hoped for a more creative player than Barry as well. While even more thought swopping Alonso for Barry was a step backwards or at best a sideways move.

The thing is though that Rafa obviously wanted this deal badly or he wouldn't have pursued it so relentlessly. So do you back the manager (who's job it is) or the owners, just because you believe rightly or wrongly that we could get better for our money.

Maybe they have taken advice, spoken to Klinsmann or whoever, but they are already paying a manager to make those decisions, and imo he should be backed or sacked.

I hope it all blows over and we get a great top quality winger, but I think the way they have allowed this whole situation to develop before finally pulling the plug has made Liverpool fc look really bad.

What player will now gamble their future on any promises we make about signing them? We have left Barry in a very difficult position unless he can find a way out, and this was his testimonial year too.

Tough one S@aint when worded how you have.

A very tough one, and I suppose no matter how right they are they shouldnt be interfeering with what rafa has planned, it shows a lack of trust, a lack of backing and is certainly a kick in the face for Rafa, in public aswell - which as we all know is not what LFC is all about - thats as frustrating as anything

In an Ideal world Hicks and Gillette wouldnt have done this, especially after letting it drag on for so long.

I do however still maintain it was the correct decision, however timed, dealt with and executed in the shittiest way possible.
OneHotRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:24 am

maguskwt wrote:the owners should just stop interfering with rafa's job...end of story... if they say 18 million is available then it is rafa's job to decide what the team needs and who to spend it on. saying " 18 million is too expensive for barry, why don't you buy silva instead" is not the way to go... whether we like what rafa is doing or not is another matter... but right now he's the manager and he should be given the backing to do his job without any interference... if they don't like what rafa is doing, then they can fire him citing that his performance as a manager is not up to the mark... and that is the owners' job...

maybe the barry for 18 was approved based on the assumption that Xabi would be sold for x amount of money, and now it seem that we are keeping Xabi or at least not getting the price we want for him.
JoeTerp

Postby Igor Zidane » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:41 am

Totally and utterly p!ssed off now . Feckin yanks , how long is it until the start of the season. Saint is spot on . Either you trust your managers footballing decisions or you don't . They've totally undermined the manager .

The sh!t is gonna hit the fan again i'm afraid ,i knew it was to good to be true with these two sh!theads keeping quiet.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:03 am

At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques". Bill Shankly

Great post Bill mate , to feckin true. :bowdown
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:56 am

We really really look foolish right now

We should have said NO from the start in that case when Villa put 18m value on Barry.

:no
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:06 am

If we have bid 18 million for silva than we don't need barry as i'm pretty sure that if barry is bought he's going to be playing as a left midfielder especially if xabi is not going to be sold . So i think the money would be better spent on a natural winger and its around the same price . Valencia would need to sell to finance their debt that they are in and i'm sure they would be willing to sell for less than 20 million
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:13 am

Does anyone think it will effect some players in the team though? for example Gerrard, he knows that the owners are not backing rafa up to get Barry, it would make Gerrard furious(desperation of barry to join because of best friends) and could create some problems in the dressing room, which leads to more troubles on the pitch.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:14 am

I thought Valencia had serious money problems?

If a club is like that can their players not be bought for a lower cost because they have to sell? Look what happened Leeds?
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby skatesy » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:43 pm

I really do not think that Silva wants to come to Liverpool or even the Premier League. Reports in Spain have stated that Silva wants to stay in Spain and that, if anything, he would go to Barcelona as his first option.

I would really like to see Silva in Liverpool's squad but I just don't know how likely it is.
skatesy

Postby heimdall » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:34 pm

metalhead wrote:Does anyone think it will effect some players in the team though? for example Gerrard, he knows that the owners are not backing rafa up to get Barry, it would make Gerrard furious(desperation of barry to join because of best friends) and could create some problems in the dressing room, which leads to more troubles on the pitch.

If this affects Gerrard then the captaincy should be taken away from him, or maybe he could have spent some of his hugely inflated wage bill to help pay for the transfer himself. Rafa screwed this one up, it is not the owners fault. I find it amusing how half the time people on here winge and whine about how badly this club is being run but at the the same time want limitless money made available to Rafa so that he can buy ridiculously overprices players, make your mind up guys!!
heimdall

Postby SupitsJonF » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:46 pm

metalhead wrote:Does anyone think it will effect some players in the team though? for example Gerrard, he knows that the owners are not backing rafa up to get Barry, it would make Gerrard furious(desperation of barry to join because of best friends) and could create some problems in the dressing room, which leads to more troubles on the pitch.

I agree, Gerrard should not get mad.  If he wanted Barry to join so bad why didn't he make him fill out a transfer request form long ago?  Gerrard knows he didn't fill one out, so all thats left is we tried and he was just another over priced english player.
SupitsJonF

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill