Gareth Barry TRANSFER is On * / Off * - *Delete where appropriate

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:36 am

s@int wrote:Joe Cole ?  Left/right/centre

:D , would be delighted . He's a class player
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:50 am

SupitsJonF wrote:OMG, HOW DO YOU PEOPLE NOT SEE WHATS GOING ON HERE?!

Hicks decides to prove fans wrong by getting involved with the club and learning about the players.  He googles "Is Gareth Barry worth 18m" and it sent him here.  He read all 96 pages, and decided no.

:D

I find it quite funny that some are criticising the owners for not just coughing up £18m+ for GB. So they've shown some financial sense, so what? For all anyone on here knows they might have been thinking the same things as us, too old, too expensive and do we need him anyway.

I still find it funny that people refer to his ability to play several positions, that's useful but not worth splashing out £18m for. If we were badly short of players who could play LB and LM it would be ok, as it is Pennant, Aurelio, Babel Kuyt, and Benayoun can all play LM, and Arbeloa, Carra, Aurelio, Finnan, Dossena and Degen could all play LB. Would you seriously play an £18m midfielder at full back? £10m striker on the flanks I can understand, but when midfielders get converted to full backs or even CBs then you have to raise an eyebrow over the quality of the squad. I think he's played CB before, might be wrong. I wouldn't sign him on the premise of where he can play but on the premise of where he will play.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:55 am

Toffeehater wrote:
s@int wrote:Joe Cole ?  Left/right/centre

:D , would be delighted . He's a class player

Good player, can't see Chelski selling him to use. Amazingly he is still only 26, won't be 27 until November. If they were selling I reckon they'd be wanting at least £20m, quite possibly more
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:04 am

Owzat wrote:

Hicks decides to prove fans wrong by getting involved with the club and learning about the players.  He googles "Is Gareth Barry worth 18m" and it sent him here.  He read all 96 pages, and decided no.

I find it quite funny that some are criticising the owners for not just coughing up £18m+ for GB. So they've shown some financial sense, so what? For all anyone on here knows they might have been thinking the same things as us, too old, too expensive and do we need him anyway.

I still find it funny that people refer to his ability to play several positions, that's useful but not worth splashing out £18m for. If we were badly short of players who could play LB and LM it would be ok, as it is Pennant, Aurelio, Babel Kuyt, and Benayoun can all play LM, and Arbeloa, Carra, Aurelio, Finnan, Dossena and Degen could all play LB. Would you seriously play an £18m midfielder at full back? £10m striker on the flanks I can understand, but when midfielders get converted to full backs or even CBs then you have to raise an eyebrow over the quality of the squad. I think he's played CB before, might be wrong. I wouldn't sign him on the premise of where he can play but on the premise of where he will play.

Finnan at left back? have never seen him play there adn the same for kuyt at left mid , don't think they would be successful in those positions
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:13 am

Toffeehater wrote:
Owzat wrote:

Finnan at left back? have never seen him play there adn the same for kuyt at left mid , don't think they would be successful in those positions

I think Kuyt would be as successful as GB on the left, he's adapted pretty well to it and shown to be a more than useful player wide, maybe GB would have an advantage being left-footed - and over Finnan at LB.

But the point is we have plenty of options, some of them not first choice but I never said they were (see "could" and "can"). The point is we're not lacking in cover so that GB can play there is rather irrelevant to the transfer. We're paying the bulk/whole of the fee for where he will play, well we might be but hopefully won't
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby club_Levis » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:13 am

For the first time I agree with the owners ( if its true). 18 million or a little bit more should be getting you the likes of Robinho and Silva. For his age way too expensive!! :no
club_Levis

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:07 am

Owzat wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:
Owzat wrote:

I think Kuyt would be as successful as GB on the left, he's adapted pretty well to it and shown to be a more than useful player wide, maybe GB would have an advantage being left-footed - and over Finnan at LB.

But the point is we have plenty of options, some of them not first choice but I never said they were (see "could" and "can"). The point is we're not lacking in cover so that GB can play there is rather irrelevant to the transfer. We're paying the bulk/whole of the fee for where he will play, well we might be but hopefully won't

mate kuyt has not even been successful in the position he was signed for, or when he was shifted to the right, what on earth makes you think he can suddenly be successful on the left?
112-1077774096

Postby Reg » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:28 am

After 97 pages of comments this Barry thread should go back in the Rumours section if we're honest......
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:32 am

I don't know reg, Rafa was saying that he is expecting a new signing in a few days. Saying the player plays in 3 different positions and will play on the left.

3 different positions, plays on the left? salif diao?! :D

messing, looks like Barry may sign for us after all
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:33 am

If Barry is our new Left Winger then I dont see much improvement.
puroresu

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:36 am

Reg wrote:After 97 pages of comments this Barry thread should go back in the Rumours section if we're honest......

I have to agree.  Every time this deal looks like coming off, something comes in to scupper it.  If we move it back to the Rumour Mill maybe that will somehow result in a speedy resolution. :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby RedBen » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:49 am

This has to be the rumour that caused the most posts in history of football ???
RedBen
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:56 am

Owzat wrote:I find it quite funny that some are criticising the owners for not just coughing up £18m+ for GB. So they've shown some financial sense, so what? For all anyone on here knows they might have been thinking the same things as us, too old, too expensive and do we need him anyway.

1) Why did they wait so long to let Rafa know they weren't going to sanction the deal?  Surely we could have focused on other targets if they had conveyed their doubts straight away--or at least as soon as it was clear that no one was going to meet our valuation of Alonso.

2) What kind of trend does this set?  What happens when they decide quality wingers are too expensive and we can make do with the personnel we've got, whatever the manager might say otherwise?  What if they continue to focus on the sell on value of players (like they've reportedly done with Barry) and decide next summer that it's time to cash in Torres or Gerrard? No, if these two are making football decisions we're well and truly fecked, despite how much some might wish to agree with their views on the Barry situation. :no
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Jimmymac » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:16 pm

interesting fact of the day, its now 100 days since this saga began :D
Jimmymac

Postby zarababe » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:02 pm

... and the pages here approach 100 too - and still no conclusion to this farce
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe