Gareth Barry TRANSFER is On * / Off * - *Delete where appropriate

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Mounir » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:42 pm

If you are the owner would cough £18m on barry?
Mounir

Postby Reg » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:57 pm

If its the owners call and they arent convinced, then Rafa would have backed off long before now rather than prolong the saga.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:14 pm

Mounir wrote:If you are the owner would cough £18m on barry?

best post in 96 pages and only your first...
well done !

i wouldnt pay more than 7 or 8mill for him to be honest but then again thats just me . English players (bar a few) are overrated, overpriced and harder to buy... from all 700 of rafas buys to date, the only 2 or 3 who have been top quality came from the spanish league which he knows best. If i was him id look there !
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:24 am

August 9, 2008    The Times

Rafael Benitez on warpath as Gareth Barry deal falls through

Fresh crisis looms over Anfield after Liverpool's owners veto transfer despite offer of £12 million interest-free loan. Rafael Benítez's relationship with Liverpool's owners reached crisis point last night when it emerged that not only had Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr vetoed the manager's bid to buy Gareth Barry but that the American duo had turned down an offer of a £12million interest-free loan to help to buy the Aston Villa midfield player.

The loan, which The Times understands was proposed by a millionaire Liverpool fan concerned about the ramifications for the club if the deal fell through, was offered this week and rejected by the owners. The £12million would have financed the initial instalments demanded by Villa.

Hicks and Gillett agreed to provide the £18million to buy Barry a week ago after Martin O'Neill, the Villa manager, conceded defeat in his battle to keep his captain. However, the owners have made a U-turn and told Benítez that Barry is too expensive and, at 27, lacks resale value. The club last month paid Tottenham Hotspur £20.3million for Robbie Keane, 28.

The owners had failed to express their reservations about Barry during the protracted transfer saga and their misgivings this week drew suspicions that they could not find the cash to pay for Barry. Hicks and Gillett have strenuously denied rumours that they are in financial trouble. Sources close to the owners suggested last night that they refused the loan because they had enough money to seal the deal.

The news that money was available will infuriate Benítez, because it appears that Hicks and Gillett are questioning his judgment. The Americans have also raised questions about the number of midfield players in the squad and suggested that Benítez has enough talent to work with in that area. A spokesman for Gillett refused to comment last night and Hicks's camp failed to provide a response.

+++

FFS....................  :angry:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:30 am

Benitez drops strong Barry hint

BBC SPORT, Friday, 8 August 2008 23:41 UK.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has indicated that Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry remains a serious target.

Benitez refused to name the England midfielder but would not say that the long-running transfer saga was over.

Villa boss Martin O'Neill conceded last week that his captain might leave but reports have suggested that a proposed fee of £18m was the sticking point.

"The situation is not a question of money," said Benitez after Liverpool beat Lazio 1-0 in a friendly on Friday.

"He is English and can play three different positions, but I am talking about someone who can play on the left."

Barry, 27, can play central midfield, on the left and left-back.

Xabi Alonso had long been expected to make way for the Englishman but he now looks set to stay at Anfield.

"We have a good player (Alonso) and we have another good player coming in soon.

"We can improve the squad, so we will try to do that. We will bring in one more player if we can.

"I do not know when but clearly we have problems on the left, Kewell has gone, Aurelio is injured and Leto cannot get a work permit.

"Babel is away in the Olympic Games. Maybe he can come back and fill that role, but I know we can improve in this area.

"Who comes in? It could be another left-sided player rather than a central midfielder.

"Maybe he can play in three different positions, that is a positive thing. I am talking about one player, but I won't say the name."

LINK

Wonder who it could be?  :D
LFC2007

Postby Kharhaz » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:38 am

LFC2007 wrote:Benitez drops strong Barry hint

BBC SPORT, Friday, 8 August 2008 23:41 UK.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has indicated that Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry remains a serious target.

Benitez refused to name the England midfielder but would not say that the long-running transfer saga was over.

Villa boss Martin O'Neill conceded last week that his captain might leave but reports have suggested that a proposed fee of £18m was the sticking point.

"The situation is not a question of money," said Benitez after Liverpool beat Lazio 1-0 in a friendly on Friday.

"He is English and can play three different positions, but I am talking about someone who can play on the left."

Barry, 27, can play central midfield, on the left and left-back.

Xabi Alonso had long been expected to make way for the Englishman but he now looks set to stay at Anfield.

"We have a good player (Alonso) and we have another good player coming in soon.

"We can improve the squad, so we will try to do that. We will bring in one more player if we can.

"I do not know when but clearly we have problems on the left, Kewell has gone, Aurelio is injured and Leto cannot get a work permit.

"Babel is away in the Olympic Games. Maybe he can come back and fill that role, but I know we can improve in this area.

"Who comes in? It could be another left-sided player rather than a central midfielder.

"Maybe he can play in three different positions, that is a positive thing. I am talking about one player, but I won't say the name."

LINK

Wonder who it could be?  :D

First and foremost he wants a left winger, Barry isnt that. He can play there but isnt recognised as as left winger. That article can mean anyone in rafas mind but is best known as a left midfielder, so I assume he has another target in mind.
Last edited by Kharhaz on Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:39 am

Kharhaz wrote:First and foremost he wants a left winger, Barry isnt that. He can play there but isnt recognised as as left winger. That article can mean anyone in rafas mind but is best known as a left midfielder, so I assume he has another target in mind.

???  You p!ssing the take?
LFC2007

Postby Kharhaz » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:41 am

LFC2007 wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:First and foremost he wants a left winger, Barry isnt that. He can play there but isnt recognised as as left winger. That article can mean anyone in rafas mind but is best known as a left midfielder, so I assume he has another target in mind.

Watch and see, I'll bet you another signing will be made but it wont be Barry.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:51 am

Kharhaz wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:

It's quite plausible we'll sign someone other than Barry given the perpetual ambiguity which has surrounded the proposed deal. It is however, completely and utterly implausible to suggest that Rafa is alluding to anyone other than Barry (Gareth) in the aforementioned article.
LFC2007

Postby Kharhaz » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:55 am

LFC2007 wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:

It's quite plausible we'll sign someone other than Barry given the perpetual ambiguity which has surrounded the proposed deal. It is however, completely and utterly implausible to suggest that Rafa is alluding to anyone other than Barry (Gareth) in the aforementioned article.

Otherwise I would agree, but is Barry the only other englishman who can play in 3 different positions? I would say he has his eyes on someone else while keeping the media gaze on the obvious. He is after all, a clever tactician.
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:52 am

Joe Cole ?  Left/right/centre
account deleted by request

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:08 am

s@int wrote:Joe Cole ?  Left/right/centre

Hope so.
66-1112520797

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:04 am

Bamaga man wrote:
s@int wrote:Joe Cole ?  Left/right/centre

Hope so.

I don't the cheshit will sell joe cole to us .... if he's looking for english player that play on the Left Winger, it could be Stewart Dowing (11m-13m) . but I prefer David Silva ...
LiverpoolMadman

Postby SupitsJonF » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:21 am

OMG, HOW DO YOU PEOPLE NOT SEE WHATS GOING ON HERE?!

Hicks decides to prove fans wrong by getting involved with the club and learning about the players.  He googles "Is Gareth Barry worth 18m" and it sent him here.  He read all 96 pages, and decided no.

:D
SupitsJonF

Postby Owzat » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:29 am

LFC2007 wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:

Why would Benitez not simply come out and say that the GB transfer is still possibly on. I bet it was just to wind the media up into thinking he was talking about that, when in fact he's talking about someone who can play LM, LF and in the hole behind the striker(s). It may well be some foreigner in which case it could be very hard to guess who.

I think villa did quite well in paying £3.5m for Shorey, reckon that could prove a bargain
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill