Gareth Barry TRANSFER is On * / Off * - *Delete where appropriate

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby bunglemark2 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:05 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
And I thought *I* got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning..

Who broke your crayons there, Happy Feet ? 

:laugh:
the penny dropped, haPPy feet - Penguins :D

I was wondering how long it'd take....Sometimes I even amaze myself with my wit and sarcasm  :rasp
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Judge » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:06 pm

Penguins wrote:And about barry:

I agree with Dawson99%

:D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:09 pm

metalhead wrote:In the echo it said that the yanks are still unsure what Barry will bring to the team.

Seriously, what the F do the Yanks know about football? so know they know better than the manager?

That's not true Metalhead...I distinctly remember reading somewhere (think it was The National Enquirer) where G&H said that "Garrett Berry is awesome in aw-ffence and has good dee-fensive qualities to boot. In fact, I think capturing his signature is a clear signal that we will win the Champions League Bowl in 2009. We're lucky to have identified a quality linebacker like him..."
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Owzat » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:09 pm

Bamaga man wrote:Its not like we've had no money ATALL, and hes spent over 150 million pounds during his time here. Yes we ALL know its not as much as Man U and Chelsea but still.

My last check, using a number of sources, showed the current cost of the first team squad to be just over £150m. Only Finnan and Hyypia weren't signed by Rafa, we are not that far behind the mancs in the spending
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:13 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:
metalhead wrote:In the echo it said that the yanks are still unsure what Barry will bring to the team.

Seriously, what the F do the Yanks know about football? so know they know better than the manager?

That's not true Metalhead...I distinctly remember reading somewhere (think it was The National Enquirer) where G&H said that "Garrett Berry is awesome in aw-ffence and has good dee-fensive qualities to boot. In fact, I think capturing his signature is a clear signal that we will win the Champions League Bowl in 2009. We're lucky to have identified a quality linebacker like him..."

oh sorry, I meant ''soccer'' :laugh:
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:14 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:

LOL, Class  :D
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:38 pm

Tony Barrett reckons the deal's falling through now, too:

Liverpool's Gareth Barry swoop on the rocks

Aug 8 2008 EXCLUSIVE by Tony Barrett

LIVERPOOL'S move for Gareth Barry was today in major doubt with Tom Hicks and George Gillett still to give the proposed deal the go-ahead.

Rafa Benitez had hoped Barry would already be a Liverpool player by now after Aston Villa gave the Reds the nod to bring the long running saga to an end last Saturday, when Martin O'Neill said he would no longer stand in the way of a deal.

But six days later the transfer is still to be done, leaving Barry in limbo and Benitez furious at the lack of progress.

It now seems increasingly likely that Hicks and Gillett will refuse to back their manager's judgement on this occasion, and the chances of the proposed £18m transfer taking place are receding by the hour.

Benitez identified the 27-year-old England man as a key signing for this summer and was even willing to sacrifice Xabi Alonso to get the deal done.

But, after months of haggling with Villa, Liverpool are still no nearer to concluding the transfer and Benitez is becoming increasingly resigned to the belief that Barry is unlikely to join the club during this transfer window.

We understand that Liverpool's American owners have major concerns about how much value the signing of Barry would give the Reds.

A proposed four-year contract would take Barry to 31 years old and Hicks and Gillett doubt he would have a significant sell-on value at that stage of his career.

They also believe the figure Villa are demanding for the England man is inflated and do not want to be held to ransom, particularly with Liverpool able to call on the services of Steven Gerrard, Javier Mascherano, Xabi Alonso, Damien Plessis and Lucas in central midfield.

But Benitez remains adamant that Barry would improve his squad and believes that even at a cost of £18m the deal is still worth doing as he can play in several positions and would bring vast experience of the Premiership and English football in general.

After working so hard to get a deal in place, Benitez will be devastated if it is called off at the eleventh hour, and would inevitably demand answers from Hicks and Gillett.

The situation is made even more delicate by the fact that Liverpool's pursuit of Barry has been so public and a withdrawal from the proposed transfer at such a late stage would cause severe embarrassment.

Villa had finally agreed to do business and, with Barry desperate to move to Anfield, Benitez had hoped the deal was a formality.He will not take kindly to the club failing to bring in another of his top targets.

LINK
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Agger's Sleeve » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:43 pm

this transfer saga has been draining to say the least.
Agger's Sleeve

Postby tubby » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:49 pm

Forget this 1 season wonder chump. If he really wanted the move he would have handed in a transfer request. Let MON keep him. We have a better player in Alonso anyway.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:54 pm

They are saying that as they don't want to take the money for him i guess and i reading somewhere , that they are going to provide rafa with the funds to finance the transfer .
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:58 pm

If this was a good deal, it would have happened by now.
If we had the cash, we would have stumped up by now.
If Barry really wanted to come, he would have forced the move through one way or the other by now.

This deal is not meant to happen and if he arrives he´ll be starting off on the wrong foot.
I dunno, but there are too many negative vibes now about this deal for it to become a dream move for either clubs or the player.

Let him stay at Villa and wallow in his own misery.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:07 pm

Are Blackburn not interested in Penant anymore?
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:20 pm

Surley Rafa has his own deadline by which if he hasnt got Barry he needs to get someone else. Unless he is going to risk waiting till xmas at which point we will probably be out of it by.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:00 pm

Its the owners that are funding the deal and as such they surely have the right to refuse Benitez if they have any doubts.

Its all well backing a manager to the hilt but sometimes they need reeling in too, and Benitez is not beyond that. I can think of several occasions when I wish the board had stepped in to halt a transfer, in particular the Cisse debacle. It can be a good thing.

Personally I do wonder if going further into debt for a player like Barry is worth the huge investment given we are over run with midfield players right now. On this occasion I think our owners may have a point.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby takeactionnow » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:35 pm

yes its the owners right to refuse funding but surely if rafa wants a player as much as has been reported they should have stumped up by now or  they have to get rid of a manager they dont trust which is what they are saying by not stumping up in rafa i trust not g&h
takeactionnow

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill