Gareth Barry TRANSFER is On * / Off * - *Delete where appropriate

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby cpc4eva » Sun May 04, 2008 4:37 pm

just so people know i dont think barry is what we need id rather keep crouch in the team.

but anyways so heres this article .......

http://squarefootball.typepad.co.uk/squaref....id.html

Sunday, 04 May 2008
Liverpool's bid for Gareth Barry and modern management mores
There has been a lot of talk in recent weeks about 'how Liverpool used to do things' with plenty of misty eyed recollections about thirty years ago.  Fundamentally this has revolved around doing things quietly and confidently and only allowing the press a sniff of news when the deal has been done.  This hasn't sat well with modern management mores though - where the press is often used a psychological weapon by Rafa Benitez.

Whether it is galvanising public support against meddling owners, calling for bans on Manchester United players who brawl with groundstaff or starting to lever Gareth Barry away from Aston Villa, Benitez is not a shy man.

Whatever protestations that Martin O'Neill makes about how much Gareth Barry respects contracts (are we still in 1950?) or that the offer from Liverpool shouldn't have been made public or that 'a mish-mash of nameless player exchanges' wasn't worth the reported £10m the desired impact has been made.  Barry made no impact on a limited Wigan side yesterday and the £10m that O'Neill quoted is surely part of the dance that will eventually lead to the Aston Villa captain being wheeled out at Anfield I'd guess for around £10m - probably in a swap including Scott Carson or Peter Crouch.

The teams that currently have the money to threaten the 'big four' - Everton, Tottenham, Villa, Man City, Portsmouth and Newcastle are all prone to have their best players poached this summer; Dimitar Berbatov will no doubt be on Man United's list, Joleon Lescott or Micah Richards may solve a problem at Arsenal, Chelsea may fancy Michael Owen and so on.  And this poaching does have the effect of making the big four a self-fulfilling prophesy.

The 2007/8 season isn't yet decided but the first exchanges of the next campaign are already being made - and the net result will no doubt be to entrench the advantage currently enjoyed by the likes of Liverpool.
cpc4eva

Postby account deleted by request » Mon May 05, 2008 12:10 am

Martin O'Neill may believe Aston Villa are not a feeder club for Liverpool, but not everyone at Villa Park seems to think that way — even in the home dressing-room.

After a Villa performance that demonstrated to Gareth Barry why he may need to move to fill his trophy cabinet, one of his team-mates urged him to experience all that Anfield has to offer.

Former Liverpool striker Patrik Berger said: 'If I was in Gareth's position I would go there tomorrow. It is the opportunity of a lifetime. Liverpool don't come after you every year.

'He is the heart of our team and it would be a massive challenge for him. He would be in the Champions League and challenging to win trophies every year.

'I'm not surprised they want to sign him. He has had a fantastic season and was our main player from the beginning to the end. He has played well for the national team as well. But I think the gap — not just between Villa and the top four but the rest of the League — is big. To break into the top four you would really have to spend a lot of money.

'Everton have tried for the past few years but they only did it once. It is going to be tough for Villa to do that. It will take time and to reach the Champions League you would need to keep players like Gareth.'

According to Villa Park sources, owner Randy Lerner is prepared to back O'Neill financially over a new contract for Barry.

But Olof Mellberg, given a hero's reception after seven years at Villa Park before his summer move to Juventus, added: 'It is hard work in the Barclays Premier League now because a lot of teams are spending money.'

Villa served up a lifeless display on Saturday and O'Neill will have to stump up quickly if he is to keep Barry.

Wigan boss Steve Bruce was defeated just once on Villa soil when he managed their neighbours Birmingham. He retired to the visitors' dressing-room at the end having fully vindicated chairman Dave Whelan's £3million transfer raid for him.

He also apparently picked up a seven-figure cheque for keeping Wigan, second bottom when he joined last November, in the top flight.

Their 31-point haul since has seen them reach safety earlier than many thought possible.

Bruce chortled when quizzed about his bonus. 'I didn't come here to take a drop,' was all he would say in public.

Emile Heskey tested Villa more than John Carew did the visitors. After a deflection handed Antonio Valencia a 52nd-minute opener, the former England striker's flick led to the Ecuadorian firing home a second.

Heskey said: 'It's a relief to be safe. We had the ability but we had a problem with confidence and Steve Bruce has given us that back.

'We have a few players here attracting attention. Steve is a good manager but he knows you can't hold anyone back if they really want to go.'

That point will not be lost on O'Neill this morning.
account deleted by request

Postby saetiakidLFC » Mon May 05, 2008 12:25 am

http://www.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/05/04/Prem-Berger-on-Barry/?facets/sport-space/football/great-britain-locale/

Not sure if it's been posted, worth a read. Paddy Berger isn't doing to many favour's for his team, but loads for us :D
saetiakidLFC

Postby SupitsJonF » Mon May 05, 2008 12:59 am

I'd rather be like Chelsea and go for Henry, Torres/Henry could create quite a powerful duo.
SupitsJonF

Postby cpc4eva » Mon May 05, 2008 1:42 pm

SupitsJonF wrote:I'd rather be like Chelsea and go for Henry, Torres/Henry could create quite a powerful duo.

but is henry still got it to score 15 - 20 goals in a season >??
cpc4eva

Postby Big Niall » Mon May 05, 2008 4:32 pm

get Barry, two full backs and a right winger. Then the team is

Reina, FB1,Agger,Skrtel,FB2,Babel,Barry,Masch,RW with SG playing between midfield and Torres.

That team is good enough to win the league. F*ck domestic cups and rotation, play that team every league game and rest players for CL not premiership and we might win the bloody thing!!!!!
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NansPanofScouse » Mon May 05, 2008 4:54 pm

cpc4eva wrote:
SupitsJonF wrote:I'd rather be like Chelsea and go for Henry, Torres/Henry could create quite a powerful duo.

but is henry still got it to score 15 - 20 goals in a season >??

Henry's heart lies with Arsenal, when it comes to our league, i cannot see him coming back to england unless its with them.
NansPanofScouse

Postby NANNY RED » Mon May 05, 2008 5:01 pm

Whats been happenin im in Madrid not one bit of news from Liverpool . I was in them celebrations last night with the real madrid fans :laugh: . Can someone give me a quick update on whats goin on
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Mon May 05, 2008 5:09 pm

NANNY RED wrote:Whats been happenin im in Madrid not one bit of news from Liverpool . I was in them celebrations last night with the real madrid fans :laugh: . Can someone give me a quick update on whats goin on

We apparently made an offer of 10 million quid + player exchange for Barry........ Martin O'Neil's not to pleased about that and has his knickers in an ever so slight twist.

That's about it in a nutshell really Nanny.....
ConnO'var

Postby NANNY RED » Mon May 05, 2008 5:12 pm

ConnO'var wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:Whats been happenin im in Madrid not one bit of news from Liverpool . I was in them celebrations last night with the real madrid fans :laugh: . Can someone give me a quick update on whats goin on

We apparently made an offer of 10 million quid + player exchange for Barry........ Martin O'Neil's not to pleased about that and has his knickers in an ever so slight twist.

That's about it in a nutshell really Nanny.....

Cheers Con
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon May 05, 2008 5:59 pm

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:yeah it's england for god's sake...the same england that because of barry, hargreaves (united) and lampard (chelsea) can't play for. last time i checked united and chelsea were above us.

Well by that logic, Newcastle should be above us because Owen plays for England...

Grow up lad, eh?

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thingy » Mon May 05, 2008 6:02 pm

Why does Henry come into this?
Thingy

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon May 05, 2008 6:09 pm

Thingy wrote:Why does Henry come into this?

because some people here have obviously been drinking all weekend  :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon May 05, 2008 6:15 pm

Liverpool have got a better chance signing Henry Thomas (Elliot in "ET") than Thierry Henry.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon May 05, 2008 7:18 pm

If we're after Barry to play LM I'm in full support.  If, however, we're after him to provide yet another option in the centre of midfield, I think the money could be much better spent elsewhere. 

On the subject of this Barry vs. Alonso debate, I can't help but think the discussion misses the point.  Even if Barry were better than Alonso (I obviously don't think so, BTW, but for the sake of argument...) would it not just be treading water to replace one very good CM with another? We have several identified weak areas currently in the squad (wide positions, 2nd striker) and so swapping like for like in our strongest position is hardly the step forward that we all acknowledge is needed this summer, is it? ???
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill