Dirk kuyt...a done deal? - As above

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby drummerphil » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:43 pm

drummerphil wrote:Sorry lads hope i'm wrong but cant see why £10+ are being mentioned.Watched him about 6 times now and i see him in the james Beattie,collins john,kevin philips (now) and probably chris sutton (now)....type of striker who will score you 8-12 goals over a season,but not add a great deal more to the team.We would spend all season waiting for that special something, that we can all see will eventually justify why we would spend that amount of money on him and offer loads of discussion and threads on here "did you see that" "wow i can see why he was £10m" etc etc.........when in reality we have had exactly the same players in Nando and Cisse and got rid.....hope i'm wrong but in the 6 times i've seen him its Nando without a tan........... ???

I rest my case.......surely we should be looking at someone else than this guy........last 16 of the world cup and he looks awful again,not impressed.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby davo_LFC » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:21 pm

Not impressed at all by kuyt, he looked very average in the last 2 games. Now i havent seen enough of him to comment on how good he actually is, but from what i have seen so far, he is certainly not worth  10mil and not good enough for LFC. Whether its a form thing or what...i just dont see why everyone raves over him. I'd say defoe would be a much better option than kuyt on tonights evidence.
ImageImage
davo_LFC
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:22 pm

That's the first time I've seen the fella play up top and wasn't overly impressed either. Save for his volley near the end he didn't offer a lot but I wouldn't necessarily write him off on the strength of that alone. Van Basten clearly thought he was a better bet than Van Nistelroy tonight so he can't be all bad. I reckon Rafa will have watched him many times Phil so just like we shouldn't sign the first bloke who has a good game in the World Cup, we probably shouldn't write off the first fella to have a quiet one either.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:25 pm

I've not seen much of him until the world cup but going on his showing in the tournament Newcastle can have him. As john craig said he's more likely to be known as DIRK SHITE if this is what he's like against quality opposition. :p
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:33 pm

bigmick wrote:That's the first time I've seen the fella play up top and wasn't overly impressed either. Save for his volley near the end he didn't offer a lot but I wouldn't necessarily write him off on the strength of that alone. Van Basten clearly thought he was a better bet than Van Nistelroy tonight so he can't be all bad. I reckon Rafa will have watched him many times Phil so just like we shouldn't sign the first bloke who has a good game in the World Cup, we probably shouldn't write off the first fella to have a quiet one either.

Part of me agrees with that Mick that we shouldnt write the guy off yet, but another part of me just thinks Mateja Kezman.  So far this guy has only proven himself in the Dutch league which I think we'll all agree is poor except for about 4 teams.  At International level he looks well out of his depth to me and the couple of times I've seen him for Feyenoord he hasn't looked that special either.

As far as Van Nistelrooy goes, it was more a case of Van Basten putting him in his place tonight to prove a point rather than actually believing Kuyt is better.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Smeg » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:34 pm

From the world cup, no thanks.
Smeg

Postby Woollyback » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:22 pm

i wouldn't place too much emphasis on what we see of players in the world cup. kuyt looked ok tonight but nothing special at all, however remember that it was 473 farenheit or whatever it was in germany today - not exactly conducive to seeing a northern european footballer show off his talents effectively

watching a player play for his country can also give a skewed impression of reality; gerard doesn't often really turn it on for england but we obviously know what he's capable of for us. on the other hand you can look at a boat-load of players like diouf & diao who look superb for their country yet turn out to be a complete sack of sh!t the rest of the time

i really don't know about kuyt, i've hardly ever seen him play but i think it's jumping the gun a bit to write him off after watching him play once or twice in the last week, but for van basten to give him the nod over proven quality like van nistelrooy says a lot to me. the only thing i don't like the sound of is the £10m price tag but the last time rafa spent that kind of money down the shops he came back with xabi alonso so here's hoping...
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:27 pm

Too be fair to both RVN and Kuyt they have both been left seriously isolated by the way Holland have played in the World Cup. Wasn’t impressed by the way that Van Basten has used the 4-3-3 system, the middle 3 have very little impact going forward and don’t exactly cover the defence well, and both Robben and RVP start from too wide a position, at least one should be coming inside when the other is wide, Van Basten showed his tactical naivety in this tournament and especially with his 3 substitutions today.

Kuyt showed some good qualities if you ask me, he didn’t shine, but neither did Holland as an attacking force, there is only so much you can expect. I think he has some very desirable qualities but I’m not 100% sure he is worth 10Mil.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:52 pm

I liked his shot towards the end..thats about it  :D  Not sure if i want him here anymore but as has been said, you cant judge a player on world cup performances alone, diouf and diao did well for thier country but were shi.te so it could also work the other way round
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:14 am

when van persie fired a low cross across the face of goal kuyt slid in for it but missed it, he instantly grabbed his knee as if in absolute agony (if you use michael owens cruciate injury as a barometer kuyt looked like his `you know whats` had been trapped in a vice) but when he noticed the dutch had retained possession he lept up again instantly like a spring chicken.
hmmm.........

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:25 am

yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:when van persie fired a low cross across the face of goal kuyt slid in for it but missed it, he instantly grabbed his knee as if in absolute agony (if you use michael owens cruciate injury as a barometer kuyt looked like his `you know whats` had been trapped in a vice) but when he noticed the dutch had retained possession he lept up again instantly like a spring chicken.
hmmm.........

i've always wondered where i've seen Kuyt before....Kuyt's best of DVD
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:47 am

He did go to ground an awful lot, not once was it a free kick either. Carvalho was screaming at him on numerous occasions.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redsince2001 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:07 am

I was going on u ppl's word that kuyt was this great striker fit ftor the EPL
But After wat i saw of him last nite.........kuyt is a DEFINATE no no for me.....he's slow,he dives,and most importantly he's not a good finisher....and thus no NOT for us........got Newcastle written all over him :laugh:
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby redsince2001 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:12 am

7_Kewell wrote:
yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:when van persie fired a low cross across the face of goal kuyt slid in for it but missed it, he instantly grabbed his knee as if in absolute agony (if you use michael owens cruciate injury as a barometer kuyt looked like his `you know whats` had been trapped in a vice) but when he noticed the dutch had retained possession he lept up again instantly like a spring chicken.
hmmm.........

i've always wondered where i've seen Kuyt before....Kuyt's best of DVD

i saw that as well yckatbjywtbiastkamb

Not the qualities we want

:no
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby Woollyback » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:51 am

LFC #1 wrote:He did go to ground an awful lot, not once was it a free kick either. Carvalho was screaming at him on numerous occasions.

the irony appeared to be completely lost on carvalho, the dirtiest cheat in the premiership
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill