Dirk kuyt...a done deal? - As above

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby Dalglish » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:12 am

Two words that seem appropriate when people talk about Kuyt ability .........DUTCH LEAGUE ??? Of the European Leagues its nowhere near the standard of the Spanish , English, German , Italian and possibly the Frencjh leaguie is stronger too.

When he's stepped up to a decent level as he has in the World Cup he's not shown much to convince me he can play, good High jumper though :D

Lets compare him to Torres shall we ? ...........Ok lets not bother  :p
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedorDead » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:23 am

Dalglish wrote:Two words that seem appropriate when people talk about Kuyt ability .........DUTCH LEAGUE ??? Of the European Leagues its nowhere near the standard of the Spanish , English, German , Italian and possibly the Frencjh leaguie is stronger too.

When he's stepped up to a decent level as he has in the World Cup he's not shown much to convince me he can play, good High jumper though :D

Lets compare him to Torres shall we ? ...........Ok lets not bother  :p

The Dutch league isn't as high a standard as our premiership, or La Liga or Serie A, I totally agree with that......BUT Kuyt has still scored 91 goals in 135 appearances in four seasons, those goals are evenly spread over that time suggesting consistancy and he has only missed one league game through injury in 4 seasons.
And while the Dutch league may be poor it has produced some of the best footballers in European football in recent years and continues to do so.
I know he has under performed in the World Cup but I will stick with my argument that he is very much worth a punt.
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:33 am

john craig wrote:With Kuyt people were cautious about signing him for 10 million given that he's only proven himself in the Dutch league, which to be honest is a poor league, probably weaker than the French and German leagues let alone the English, Spanish and Italian leagues.  When you consider that he doesn't look good at International level it just reinforces your fear that he may not cut it in a top league.  I'm not saying he definitely won't, but I'd rather it was another club gambling 10 million on him than us.  To be honest we can't afford to be spending that sort of money and not be absolutely sure they're the right player for us.

That's totally reasonable. I have the same fears and he hasn't stood out to me in this world cup either.
However I haven't seen him play very much in Holland, and unless there is anyone here who consistently watches a lot of dutch league games throughout the season (I doubt it), judgement shouldn't be passed.
I know we have a good manager and good scouts, Kuyt wouldn't be one of our top transfer targets if he didn't have the right attributes to be a success; I can only admit my inferior knowledge of the player and believe our manager will make the correct decision.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedorDead » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:47 am

Rafa is by far a better judge of players than I am and has persons around him scouting all over the world for the best talent....I agree XSD that Rafa will make the correct decision, I just get frustrated at people making judgements on a player having watched him play less than 2 1/2 games in three different positions in some very difficult circumstances (in the Portugal match a game nearly broke out amoungst the fighting)
While I am English and proud of it I am half Dutch and also very proud of that. I follow The Oranje and the dutch league as best I can, Channel 5 shows quite a bit....and I have seen quite a bit of Kuyt...as you can probably tell I am a fan and reckon he has a very good chance of being a hit in the premiership.....hopefully for us.
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:38 am

(again, I emphasize, a match winner)

Huh ?? What match winner ?? ( laugh until roll on the floor )

Seriously ... let "move" forward ( give up )...
LiverpoolMadman

Postby Simari » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:15 am

Kuyt has displayed the same abilities in all of his appearances - he is a good link up player, but hasn't demonstrated goal-front awareness.

Then again, the 4 dutch attacking players played like they were all on different teams.
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:09 am

LiverpoolMadman wrote:
(again, I emphasize, a match winner)

Huh ?? What match winner ?? ( laugh until roll on the floor )

His goal against Trinidad & Tobago?  You know, the one that won England the match?  You truly are thick as shit aren't you?  :no
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby laza » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:45 am

RedorDead wrote:I agree, and I was also one of the ones proclaiming Cisse as a superb buy when he signed......and on paper he looked it, noone could predict he would break his leg twice and perform so indifferently. And that is the point I am trying to make, noone can predict the success of a signing in football. Shevchenko might flop at Chelsea just as Crouchy might score 20 for us next season...who knows?
All you can do is use your scouts and experience and skills as a manager to decide who is the best bet. If Rafa decides it's Kuyt then he will buy him and then we will all have to get behind him and hope he pans out. I think he has every chance of succeeding but honestly noone knows.

Problem is Cisse didnt exactly look like he was set on league on fire even before he broke his leg the first time.
People, me included were using he hasnt settled into the league yet excuse when that horrible incident at Blackburn and made it null and void.
10 million got us Alonso and we have only paid 6 for Bellamy who despite my reservations is still a tried and true performer in this league.
From what ive seen and read, i rather the money was spent elsewhere.
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:02 am

Yakubu would be a decent buy at about £12-14million. Hes big has a decent first touch and a good shot. He can lead the line or play behind a target man. Scored 19 goals last season and is still young(24)Not really sure how fast he is but he looks to have decent pace. Perhaps we could p/x Zenden or Pongole/LeTallec. He also seems to be a big game player having scored against arsenal, chelsea and man utd last season.
account deleted by request

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:08 am

His goal against Trinidad & Tobago?  You know, the one that won England the match?  You truly are thick as :censored: aren't you?   

:D I watched the match ... 2:0 , PC scored the first goal and the 2nd goal is from SG. Unless the score line is 2:1, then 2nd goal is the winner goal ...

Let "move" on ... Now Rafa wants to sign him, and its seems that most of the clubs also want to sign him. If  Rafa get Kuty maybe 2-3 week from now, we have no choice to support him too ( just like bellemy ). Maybe Rafa have already have his plan on his mind....
LiverpoolMadman

Postby babu » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:14 am

hey, is it possible to block posts from appearing? same way we can block pm's?

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:17 am

Wenger admits Kuyt interest

Arsene Wenger has confirmed he has considered signing Feyenoord striker Dirk Kuyt.

The Holland international is weighing up his future after stressing a desire to move to The Premiership.

He has been heavily linked with a switch to Newcastle United and is likely to cost his suitors around £10 million.

Kuyt admits he will speak to Feyenoord in the coming days in an attempt to resolve his future before the start of pre-season training.

The forward could now have an additional option to consider after Arsenal boss Wenger admitted to being a fan of Kuyt.

Wenger was covering Holland's second round World Cup game against Portugal for French television and saw Kuyt start ahead of Ruud van Nistelrooy.

During his commentary, Wenger acknowledged he has been to check on the 25-year-old, but did not disclose if he has made a bid.

"I went over to Feyenoord to check on him," said Wenger on French TV station TF1.

"He is a very generous player."

http://home.skysports.com/worldcu....nterest

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:22 am

It looks as though Arsenal may take an interest in Kuyt, I thought they had enough cover with Henry, RVP, Adebayor and Walcott, plus Reyes, Ljungberg and Rosicky who call all play as a second striker. The quote just states that he has looked at him it doesn’t actually say he is interested in signing him this summer.

When Wenger said "He is a very generous player." What do you think he meant? I think he was talking about the fact that he is a team player who always works for the team and looks for a team mater in a better position, very desirable qualities.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:23 am

Wenger admits Kuyt interest

Arsene Wenger has confirmed he has considered signing Feyenoord striker Dirk Kuyt.

The Holland international is weighing up his future after stressing a desire to move to The Premiership.

He has been heavily linked with a switch to Newcastle United and is likely to cost his suitors around £10 million.

Kuyt admits he will speak to Feyenoord in the coming days in an attempt to resolve his future before the start of pre-season training.

The forward could now have an additional option to consider after Arsenal boss Wenger admitted to being a fan of Kuyt.

Wenger was covering Holland's second round World Cup game against Portugal for French television and saw Kuyt start ahead of Ruud van Nistelrooy.

During his commentary, Wenger acknowledged he has been to check on the 25-year-old, but did not disclose if he has made a bid.

"I went over to Feyenoord to check on him," said Wenger on French TV station TF1.

"He is a very generous player."

Trouble .... If rafa wants him ... he have to act "fast" ..
LiverpoolMadman

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:31 am

plus Reyes, Ljungberg and Rosicky who call all play as a second striker

From what I watched him manage the team is , one of his policy is when 30 plus he ( the player )  will only given a contract 1 year.

One of the reason why he buy Rosicky because Pires is 30 plus already .... Maybe for him , Kuty can replace Ljungberg ( 30 years old this year )
LiverpoolMadman

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill