Dirk kuyt...a done deal? - As above

Liverpool Football Club - The Rumour Mill

Postby NiftyNeil » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:36 pm

dawson99 wrote:
NiftyNeil wrote:I knew this would happen after seeing last nights game. I knew that a load of d!ckheads would be saying not to bother with Kuyt after judging him on a few internationals. How many of you have watched much
Dutch football this season? I bet a handful of you have - but not many.
I don't think we can judge anyone on internationals.  Two of our best ever players - John Barnes and Kenny Dalglish - never set the world alight at international level. It didn't do Liverpool FC any harm did it?

yeah but dutch football is more or less division one nowadays and we aint  gonna buy any of those players either. Ive watched Kuyt a bit over the past few months and in all honesty i wouldnt pay over 4 mill tops for the lad

Dawson, I respect you opinion if you've been watching the lad for a few months. I haven't, so I can't pass judgement. But it doesn't matter about the state of the Dutch League. The Dutch have always produced class players, and they all start somewhere.
Just because a league is week, doesn't mean there are no good players in it.

Look at Theo Walcott :D
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:37 pm

NiftyNeil wrote:I knew this would happen after seeing last nights game. I knew that a load of d!ckheads would be saying not to bother with Kuyt after judging him on a few internationals. How many of you have watched much
Dutch football this season? I bet a handful of you have - but not many.
I don't think we can judge anyone on internationals.  Two of our best ever players - John Barnes and Kenny Dalglish - never set the world alight at international level. It didn't do Liverpool FC any harm did it?

Maybe you should think more about your posts before proclaiming half the forum to be di.ckheads.

The whole point is that while Kuyt has a good scoring record in the Dutch league, he has so far looked out of his depth at International level.  That may be a coincidence and he is just going through a bad patch just now, or it may mean that the Dutch league is his level, as it was with someone like Kezman.  No one can say for sure, but we can say that 10 million is a massive gamble whatever way you look at it.

Bringing up Barnes and Dalglish is completely irrelevant as they had proven themselves in the British leagues before we signed them and so their International performances didn't need to be taken into account so much.

I would guess you're one of the peope that gets all excited about a potential new signing based purely on what you've read about them and then gets all upset when people suggest he may not be the next big thing.  Deal with it.
Last edited by JC_81 on Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:43 pm

Kuyt isn't the only player to have a shocker in this world cup.

Be honest, from what you've seen in the last 2-3 weeks, imagine having never seen the player before, would you consider bidding 6m for Lampard? No way.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:47 pm

john craig wrote:Maybe you should think more about your posts before proclaiming half the forum to be di.ckheads.

If you read my post, you'll find that I'm not calling half of the forum d!ckheads. Just the ones that are passing judgement on a player they've never seen before except for a few international games.

Look at horse face. If we'd only seen him in this world cup, would we say he was worth £10 million (let alone £20mil).
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:50 pm

XSD wrote:Kuyt isn't the only player to have a shocker in this world cup.

Be honest, from what you've seen in the last 2-3 weeks, imagine having never seen the player before, would you consider bidding 6m for Lampard? No way.

I know what you're saying, but it's not the same.  Yes, having never seen Lampard before you wouldn't touch him for 6 million after just seeing his performances at this world cup.  However, taking into account his performances for Chelsea over the last 2 seasons in the Premiership, of course he'd be a good signing for a Premiership team at 6 million.

With Kuyt people were cautious about signing him for 10 million given that he's only proven himself in the Dutch league, which to be honest is a poor league, probably weaker than the French and German leagues let alone the English, Spanish and Italian leagues.  When you consider that he doesn't look good at International level it just reinforces your fear that he may not cut it in a top league.  I'm not saying he definitely won't, but I'd rather it was another club gambling 10 million on him than us.  To be honest we can't afford to be spending that sort of money and not be absolutely sure they're the right player for us.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kopite-Jud » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:13 pm

Kuyt is good yes . For Feyenoord i like him alot but i dont like to say this, he is not Anfield or even more Premiership material.After watching him in the World Cup and in Holland the contrasts in performance are very different.He looks very slow and very waste full of possetion at international level. His cheating diving antics were awfull.A good player he is yes but not for Liverpool or the Premiership. 10 million could buy a player more suited to the Premiership, with Dimitar Berbatov looking like he is going to Tottenham this puts Defoe further down the pekking order maybe we should go for Defoe . Or Kuyt could come and prove us wrong and score 25 goals next season , who knows ??? he might be having a bad World Cup like Ibrhimovic and Frank Lampard. We'll have to wait and see.
Kopite-Jud

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:36 pm

NiftyNeil wrote:
john craig wrote:Maybe you should think more about your posts before proclaiming half the forum to be di.ckheads.

If you read my post, you'll find that I'm not calling half of the forum d!ckheads. Just the ones that are passing judgement on a player they've never seen before except for a few international games.

Look at horse face. If we'd only seen him in this world cup, would we say he was worth £10 million (let alone £20mil).

I am one who has made a snap judgement on Kuyt based on 2 or 3 games, that is all i have seen of him so obviously thats all i can comment on.
I dont watch the dutch league but tbh i dont think that means that my opinion isnt valid.
Granted he could be having a poor couple of games, it happens to the best players, but he doesnt even from what i have seen, seem to have the basics to his game.
His touch and awareness have been poor from what i have seen and he also didnt seem to take up good positions or make decent runs when his fellow forwards were in posession.
If i had to make a judgement so far it would be a definate no.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:02 pm

dawson99 wrote:i do like crouch but he just reminds me of carlton palmer and that puts me off lol

he just doesnt 'look' like a good player. hes awkward and just funny. but he is better than kuyt

specsavers anyone
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:03 pm

drummerphil wrote:
dawson99 wrote:i do like crouch but he just reminds me of carlton palmer and that puts me off lol

he just doesnt 'look' like a good player. hes awkward and just funny. but he is better than kuyt

specsavers anyone

I'm not saying he's carlton palmers twin brother, but there is a certain awkwardness between the two you gotta admit
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:10 pm

:laugh: :laugh:   i thought you were wearing tinted specsaver specials or something.I agree about the awkwardness though.He looks like a highjumper,certainly not a footballer.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:11 pm

:laugh: :laugh:
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:36 pm

:laugh: he could just step over the high jump!
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby RedorDead » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:48 pm

Carlton Palmer and Peter Crouch....classic :D

As for Dirk Kuyt well I must confess that I am still a fan. I grant you he has not exactly set this world cup alight but he is a very accomplished finisher and I would be happy to see him come to Liverpool.
He has been a prolific goal scorer for Feyenoord for a few seasons now and while some of you question the quality of the dutch league he still has to score the goals and score them he does, by the bucket load.
I know he hasn't done it this tournament but then he has played three games in three different positions, left, right and centre.....that versatility is a plus point in itself. He has a an excellent attitude for the team, never stops working and given the service would eat up some premiership defences for breakfast I am sure of it.
He might sign and be a flop like Cisse and Moro before him, no transfer is ever certain to pan out. Some players are bought for millions on the back of solid performances and reputation and do nothing (Diouf is a prime example, he was African player of the year) other players come in quietly with little reputation only to become excellent players and mainstays of the team (Sami Hyppia anyone?)
What I am trying to say is that in this game everything is a gamble and I personally think that Dirk Kuyt is worth betting on. As for the size of the stake....well £10mill in this day and age sounds about right for a player who has scored 91 goals in 135 league games in the last four seasons.
Last edited by RedorDead on Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:53 pm

RedorDead wrote:Carlton Palmer and Peter Crouch....classic :D

As for Dirk Kuyt well I must confess that I am still a fan. I grant you he has not exactly set this world cup alight but he is a very accomplished finisher and I would be happy to see him come to Liverpool.
He has been a prolific goal scorer for Feyenoord for a few seasons now and while some of you question the quality of the dutch league he still has to score the goals and score them he does, by the bucket load.
I know he hasn't done it this tournament but then he has played three games in three different positions, left, right and centre.....that versatility is a plus point in itself. He has a an excellent attitude for the team, never stops working and given the service would eat up some premiership defences for breakfast I am sure of it.
He might sign and be a flop like Cisse and Moro before him, no transfer is ever certain to pan out. Some players are bought for millions on the back of solid performances and reputation and do nothing (Diouf is a prime example, he was African player of the year) other players come in quietly with little reputation only to become excellent players and mainstays of the team (Sami Hyppia anyone?)
What I am trying to say is that in this game everything is a gamble and I personally think that Dirk Kuyt is worth betting on. As for the size of the stake....well £10mill in this day and age sounds about right for a player who has scored 91 goals in 135 league games in the last four seasons.

That sounds a lot like the way people talked about cisse
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby RedorDead » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:10 am

GOAT wrote:
RedorDead wrote:Carlton Palmer and Peter Crouch....classic :D

That sounds a lot like the way people talked about cisse

I agree, and I was also one of the ones proclaiming Cisse as a superb buy when he signed......and on paper he looked it, noone could predict he would break his leg twice and perform so indifferently. And that is the point I am trying to make, noone can predict the success of a signing in football. Shevchenko might flop at Chelsea just as Crouchy might score 20 for us next season...who knows?
All you can do is use your scouts and experience and skills as a manager to decide who is the best bet. If Rafa decides it's Kuyt then he will buy him and then we will all have to get behind him and hope he pans out. I think he has every chance of succeeding but honestly noone knows.
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to The Rumour Mill