Why can't newcastle get it right? - Useless shower

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby JBG » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:04 pm

I know we all like to have a laugh at the barcodes because of their delusions of granduer and folly in the transfer market, but objectively, I cannot understand why Newcastle football club are not consistently better as a football team than they actually are.

They have a big support, home and away, and potentially, St. James' Park should be an intimidating place to visit.

They also have a reasonable name about Europe in that foreign players know who Newcastle are, because of their occasional European foray and the fact that for 3 or 4 years in the 1990s, they gave plenty of entertainment just as Skysports took off.

They never seem to have trouble in getting players to join them.

What gives? Why aren't the consistently better than they actually are? Surely, if you look at it, they have more resources than many clubs who routinely play in the Champions League. They are a financially more powerful club than at least half of the 32 sides that play every year in the Champions League, and mostly, that is without the benefit of the monies a good European run brings.

There are many reasons, I think. However, the two primary reasons are:

1. The expectations of the fans. The Toon Army demand attacking, almost Brazilian, football which Kevin Keegan brought them. Kenny Daglish actually made Newcastle a decent side for a while playing a more pragmatic game, but he was hounded out of it. Matters are not helped also by the fact that Newcastle fans have utterly unrealistic expectations on the players and manager, thinking that they should be in the Champions League positions every year (as if by right) and competing well in the cups. This hasn't happened for a few years now.

2. Freddie Shepherd: in some ways, Shepherd is a great chairman. He always backs up his managers with hard cash. Money is always found, and players are played huge wages. However, in almost every other aspect, Shepherd is a terrible chairman, from slagging his own fans, to consistently making the wrong managerial choices, to putting huge and unnecessary pressure on the manager.

What Newcastle need is new management. Guys that understand football and have patience. Guys prepared to see the bigger picture, build for the long term.

Graeme Souness is a sitting duck and won't last at Newcastle much longer. What they need is a new manager, young and hungry, with a long term vision. A guy that is tough enough not to bow to criticism from the fans.

If I were Newcastle, I'd try to ride out this season and then concentrate all of my energy on attracting a top class manager next season. I'd let Alan Shearer retire and let him go and make a few easy pounds from tv for a few years. I wouldn't keep Shearer on board in any shape or form: a new manager does not want Shearer lurking in the wings, trying to call the shots.

If I were this new manager, I'd clear the decks of most of the current players. Michael Owen and Albert Luque clearly do not want to be at Newcastle any more/never wanted to be there in the first place. Both could be sold and £20million could be recouped. I'd let Titus Bramble go - for free if necessary - and sell Alain Boumsong, a poor defender, but one with a big enough name such to fetch a reasonable pricetag on the continent. I'd let Bowyer go, like Bramble, for free if necessary. I'd sell Dyer in a heartbeat, and wouldn't haggle too much over the price. I'd also clear out Amdy Faye, Celestine Babayaro and Steve Carr, and rule out any return of Jonathon Woodgate, a talented player but one with a horrid injury record.

I'd start at the back, bringing in tough and unspectacular defenders. I'd concentrate on youth but would try to bring in one experienced centre half, one who has campaigned extensively in European competition.

With Owen going and Shearer retiring, a few forwards wouldn't go amiss. I'd buy two young players and perhaps a more experienced forward who could lead the line for two or three seasons.

I'd play unspectacular but pragmatic football with an empahsis on hard work, closing down the opposition and keeping things tight. I'd resist all fans demands for attacking footballers and flair players and focus my first season or so on making the side hard to beat. I wouldn't win any friends but I'd try to lay the groundwork for a tough and hard working team, a bit like Mark Hughes' Blackburn.

In my second season, I'd try to add one or two more creative players and try to improve on the creative side of the team, while maintaining the hard working and "keeping it simple" ethic. I'd stick to this with the goal of making the side truly competitive over the next 4 years. I'd resist all pressures to buy big stars or quick fixes, like Kluivert.

And if I were the chairman, I'd back the manager and make no unrealistic demands. If I were the chairman, I'd ignore the pressures from the fans and let the manager get on with the job.

Newcastle are a joke, but in 21st century football, the potential is there, under the right circumstances, for a great club side to be built. Not many of the current players would contribute - with the possible exceptions of Given and Parker (for me, Luque and Owen won't hang around) - but the support is there, the money is there, the stadium is there, and if the club were to show some foresight and patience in their conviction, they could really build something.

What they need to do first is to have Freddie Shephard stand aside and a more pragmatic and sensible man step in. However, I appreciate that this is like asking Tony Blair to hand over the keys of 10 Downing Street to Gordon Brown: it won't happen without things getting nasty. If, hypothetically, this new man did manage to take charge, a hungry young manager on a long contract with pretty much a blank cheque to do what he wants would have to be put in place. Again, easier said than done, but Newcastle have considerable resources, and instead of spending their summers chasing Michael Owens, they should put all their time and effort into attracting a top manager to Tyneside, and when this guy is in place, back him up and support him.

Newcastle have more potential than most European teams (by "most" I mean more potential than most of the European sides outside of the G14) but with Shepherd at the helm, it doesn't look good for them.

They will eventually get it right though, although how long "eventually" means depends on how long Shepherd hangs around and whether they can resist the forces which sucked Leeds under.
Last edited by JBG on Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby DrTNT » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:46 pm

Excellent JBG, you've given a great analysis of the current suitation at Newcastle and possible solutions that the Newcastle board would do good to consider.

You made some very interesting points. Graeme Souness is definitely not the right calibre of manager that Newcastle should be employing. I don't think he will be there for too much longer.

The club has great potential but they have not lived up to it in the last few years like they did in the mid 90s. They have brilliant fans that may be expect too much from the team but don't all fans do that TBH.

With a new manager at the helm, just like JBG described, would IMO transform the club but with Freddie Shepherd's history I don't think that will happen any time soon.
REST IN PEACE PHIL!
DrTNT

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:53 am

ok JBG, youve got the job

seriously mate, good post and well thought out. i think newcastle fans believe the press too much and put added pressure on the manager and players. let souness get on with the job for the rest of the season, see if he can turn it round before then
112-1077774096

Postby looprevil » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:53 am

JBG, I have been wondering the same thing you have for some time.  Why can't they get it right.  I think your ideas are bang on.  A total house cleaning is in order and I agree with selling bramble and bowyer for nothing (useless).  I think getting shearer out is necessary in turning the ship around as he would be an unproven manager and a potential annoyance to any new manager.  I think the only position they are truly solid in is keeper, however I am not sure what their second keeper is like as I haven't paid too much attention to their games.  Like you mentioned some of their players will fetch a decent price in Europe and if they really want to improve over the long term they should invest in some good proven young players.  For some reason however I just don't see any of this happening and I think next year will be much of the same.
looprevil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:51 pm

three years ago, newcastle were in the second phase of the champions league and finished third in the premiership. however it all went wrong when they got knocked out in the 2003/2004 champions league qualifiers. bobby robson got sacked after about four games and they've never recovered. claims that robson had "lost the dressing room" were unfounded in my oipnion, despite the fact that kluivert, bellamy, robert etc were not the easiest players to control.

they've spent £50 million in the last 18 months and they've got worse. i read a report the other day that they are now £90m in debt, which is hardly surprising when they're paying ridiculously high transfer fees and wages and they're not even in europe.

i live in the north east as you know and the fans up here are brilliant. having listened to the local football phone in last night i thought i was listening to the samaritans. north east football in general is in a dire state. newcastle are useless, boro are 17th having just got spanked 7-0 and sunderland have got 6 points all season.

getting back to newcastle, i agree that they think they are bigger than they actually are. there's gonna be a street party in newcastle at the end of the season to celebrate 50 years of winning nothing. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:47 pm

I guess most leagues have a Newcastle in some shape or form.

Inter Milan would be an example of a club with huge support, loads of money and big name players but a club that always shoots itself in the foot.

In Spain you could say Athletico Madrid were similar.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Fowler_E7 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:52 am

JBG wrote:I guess most leagues have a Newcastle in some shape or form.

Inter Milan would be an example of a club with huge support, loads of money and big name players but a club that always shoots itself in the foot.

In Spain you could say Athletico Madrid were similar.

the diffrence is that Inter Milan have a very creditable history and a right to call themselves a big club, they have won league titles and European cups in the past, and even won the the odd Uefa cup and domestic cup in the 90's. What the hell have Newcastle won? :censored: all in 50 years, and their fans seem to think their some huge club with a divine right to win things coz they filll their stadium every week! same goes for Spurs and Villa, both decent sized clubs with large support and fairly decent success but never on a Man u, Arsenal or Lliverpool level, yet these clubs both think there superpowers!
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:58 pm

What I love though about Villa is that they have a European cup. If a Arsenal or Chelsea fan gets too cocky, remind them of Villa being more successful in Europe.

Then there's Forest. Poor old Forest are European giants compared to Arsenal and Chelsea and in European cup terms, are level with Man UTd.

For that matter, Forest have more Big Earses than Barcelona. :p
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Big Niall » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:25 pm

I think Souness is one of the best players LFC ever had but his managerial record is horrendous.

How does he continue to get work?

He has earned more money from being a :censored: manager than being a truly great player.

Funny old game.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:48 pm

JBG wrote:I know we all like to have a laugh at the barcodes because of their delusions of granduer and folly in the transfer market, but objectively, I cannot understand why Newcastle football club are not consistently better as a football team than they actually are.

They have a big support, home and away, and potentially, St. James' Park should be an intimidating place to visit.

They also have a reasonable name about Europe in that foreign players know who Newcastle are, because of their occasional European foray and the fact that for 3 or 4 years in the 1990s, they gave plenty of entertainment just as Skysports took off.

What gives? Why aren't the consistently better than they actually are? Surely, if you look at it, they have more resources than many clubs who routinely play in the Champions League. They are a financially more powerful club than at least half of the 32 sides that play every year in the Champions League, and mostly, that is without the benefit of the monies a good European run brings.

1. The expectations of the fans. The Toon Army demand attacking, almost Brazilian, football which Kevin Keegan brought them. Kenny Daglish actually made Newcastle a decent side for a while playing a more pragmatic game, but he was hounded out of it. Matters are not helped also by the fact that Newcastle fans have utterly unrealistic expectations on the players and manager, thinking that they should be in the Champions League positions every year (as if by right) and competing well in the cups. This hasn't happened for a few years now.

2. Freddie Shepherd: in some ways, Shepherd is a great chairman. He always backs up his managers with hard cash. Money is always found, and players are played huge wages. However, in almost every other aspect, Shepherd is a terrible chairman, from slagging his own fans, to consistently making the wrong managerial choices, to putting huge and unnecessary pressure on the manager.

What Newcastle need is new management. Guys that understand football and have patience. Guys prepared to see the bigger picture, build for the long term.

Graeme Souness is a sitting duck and won't last at Newcastle much longer. What they need is a new manager, young and hungry, with a long term vision. A guy that is tough enough not to bow to criticism from the fans.

If I were Newcastle, I'd try to ride out this season and then concentrate all of my energy on attracting a top class manager next season. I'd let Alan Shearer retire and let him go and make a few easy pounds from tv for a few years. I wouldn't keep Shearer on board in any shape or form: a new manager does not want Shearer lurking in the wings, trying to call the shots.

If I were this new manager, I'd clear the decks of most of the current players. Michael Owen and Albert Luque clearly do not want to be at Newcastle any more/never wanted to be there in the first place. Both could be sold and £20million could be recouped. I'd let Titus Bramble go - for free if necessary - and sell Alain Boumsong, a poor defender, but one with a big enough name such to fetch a reasonable pricetag on the continent. I'd let Bowyer go, like Bramble, for free if necessary. I'd sell Dyer in a heartbeat, and wouldn't haggle too much over the price. I'd also clear out Amdy Faye, Celestine Babayaro and Steve Carr, and rule out any return of Jonathon Woodgate, a talented player but one with a horrid injury record.

I'd start at the back, bringing in tough and unspectacular defenders. I'd concentrate on youth but would try to bring in one experienced centre half, one who has campaigned extensively in European competition.

With Owen going and Shearer retiring, a few forwards wouldn't go amiss. I'd buy two young players and perhaps a more experienced forward who could lead the line for two or three seasons.

I'd play unspectacular but pragmatic football with an empahsis on hard work, closing down the opposition and keeping things tight. I'd resist all fans demands for attacking footballers and flair players and focus my first season or so on making the side hard to beat. I wouldn't win any friends but I'd try to lay the groundwork for a tough and hard working team, a bit like Mark Hughes' Blackburn.

In my second season, I'd try to add one or two more creative players and try to improve on the creative side of the team, while maintaining the hard working and "keeping it simple" ethic. I'd stick to this with the goal of making the side truly competitive over the next 4 years. I'd resist all pressures to buy big stars or quick fixes, like Kluivert.

And if I were the chairman, I'd back the manager and make no unrealistic demands. If I were the chairman, I'd ignore the pressures from the fans and let the manager get on with the job.

Newcastle are a joke, but in 21st century football, the potential is there, under the right circumstances, for a great club side to be built. Not many of the current players would contribute - with the possible exceptions of Given and Parker (for me, Luque and Owen won't hang around) - but the support is there, the money is there, the stadium is there, and if the club were to show some foresight and patience in their conviction, they could really build something.

What they need to do first is to have Freddie Shephard stand aside and a more pragmatic and sensible man step in. However, I appreciate that this is like asking Tony Blair to hand over the keys of 10 Downing Street to Gordon Brown: it won't happen without things getting nasty. If, hypothetically, this new man did manage to take charge, a hungry young manager on a long contract with pretty much a blank cheque to do what he wants would have to be put in place. Again, easier said than done, but Newcastle have considerable resources, and instead of spending their summers chasing Michael Owens, they should put all their time and effort into attracting a top manager to Tyneside, and when this guy is in place, back him up and support him.

Newcastle have more potential than most European teams (by "most" I mean more potential than most of the European sides outside of the G14) but with Shepherd at the helm, it doesn't look good for them.

They will eventually get it right though, although how long "eventually" means depends on how long Shepherd hangs around and whether they can resist the forces which sucked Leeds under.

What a crock of sh|t...  JBG I am amazed as your posts are normally excellent.

If it was that easy, Everton would also be up there with Man City and Birmingham.

I don't think its that easy to get players playing up at Newcastle.. Most foreigners would rather play in London apart from the guts approached by the 2 biggest Northern clubs.. Liverpool and Man Utd.

To say "I'd start at the back, bringing in tough and unspectacular defenders. I'd concentrate on youth but would try to bring in one experienced centre half, one who has campaigned extensively in European competition."  We more than anyone know how hard it is to buy a player like you have described.

Unfortunately for most teams football isn't an exact sciencce that you simply follow a few rules to ensure success. 

The simple answer to what Newcastle Utd need to become a success...  I'll tell you...

Rafa Benitez
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:50 pm

JBG wrote:I know we all like to have a laugh at the barcodes because of their delusions of granduer and folly in the transfer market, but objectively, I cannot understand why Newcastle football club are not consistently better as a football team than they actually are.

What a crock of sh|t...  JBG I am amazed as your posts are normally excellent.

If it was that easy, Everton would also be up there with Man City and Birmingham.

I don't think its that easy to get players playing up at Newcastle.. Most foreigners would rather play in London apart from the guts approached by the 2 biggest Northern clubs.. Liverpool and Man Utd.

To say "I'd start at the back, bringing in tough and unspectacular defenders. I'd concentrate on youth but would try to bring in one experienced centre half, one who has campaigned extensively in European competition."  We more than anyone know how hard it is to buy a player like you have described.

Unfortunately for most teams football isn't an exact sciencce that you simply follow a few rules to ensure success. 

The simple answer to what Newcastle Utd need to become a success...  I'll tell you...

Rafa Benitez
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby dawson99 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:53 pm

injuries are to blame at newcastle as mucha s anything else. ok we can say souness is to blame through training but with emre, parker, dyer, owen and about 5 others out you dont get a good view of how the team can play.

ps - is till think souness is sh!te tho
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:48 pm

newcastle defenders get recording contract :laugh:

stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby nufclee » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:20 pm

Ok as a Newcastle fan let me explain our under achievement. It's down to the chairman.

When we were up there qualifying for the CL, we needed to strengthen to challenge at the next level. Freddy didn't realise this and thought that because we had young players that they would improve and be able to step up. This was a mistake. So what do we do? We sign Bowyer on a free. Unacceptable for a club looking to build on a previous good season.

The only time our chairman backs our Manager is when we're in trouble, i.e panic buying. We have a terrible start last season, so he spends in january. We finish 14th last season, our worst ever premiership season, that is why we spent a lot in the summer.

However if things are going in the right direction, he does nothing to ensure that things keep going that way. At any slight hint of us doing well, he sees that as job done, rather than seeing it as his job to ensure that we keep pushing in the right direction. Inevitably because of this incompetence, we start to fail and as we start slipping down the slippery slope, Shep jumps in with his chequebook and rescues us. It's a vicious circle. That's my thoughts anyway.
Last edited by nufclee on Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nufclee

Return to Premiership - General Discussion