What have we got to do to stop chelsea?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby anfieldadorer » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:41 am

What have we got to do to stop Chelsea?

Saturday August 13, 2005

Alex Ferguson Manchester United
The first thing to appreciate is that Chelsea have raised the bar and that the margin for error is lower than it has ever been. Last season they lost only once and finished with 95 points, which is a quantum leap when you consider that the previous record was ourselves with 92 points in 1994.

So you have to put down Chelsea as the biggest challenge to us. They are strong all round but I'm not overly concerned about the amount of money they have. They can't get everyone and, equally, they won't want everyone.

Look at the squad they have got now, with the boy Essien to come, and they have probably got too much already when it comes to keeping players satisfied in World Cup year.
Arsène Wenger Arsenal

People think suddenly that Chelsea only can win. I just think it will be difficult. Liverpool will also be stronger. Manchester United will be stronger. So the challenge is there.

Somebody said to me that you have to be unbeaten to win the league. I said: "Thank you very much, we have done that already." I don't feel it is more difficult to retain the title than win it. What you lose a bit is that urgency that makes you more vigilant. The danger lies more within you than your opponent.

The belief I have is to always try to be successful with the resources you have despite all the resources other clubs have.

Rafael Benítez Liverpool

People must not get carried away. Chelsea are not unbeatable. You can never say that in football because, when you go out there, it's only 11 on 11. Much depends on the depth of the squad you have and how they are coping over nine months, but Arsenal, Liverpool and United all have big squads as well and will challenge them.

How do you stop them? You compete. This league is not easy - each year a new team emerges from the pack to challenge. It could be Tottenham Hotspur, Middlesbrough or Bolton Wanderers this time, so you never know.

Sam Allardyce Bolton Wanderers

The one thing that can stop Chelsea is themselves. Last year will have given them a lot of confidence because they achieved so much, but they have to make sure that doesn't slip into complacency.

I'm sure that Jose Mourinho won't need me to tell him that, but that could be their biggest problem. It has certainly been a problem for Arsenal in the past. Manchester United and Sir Alex Ferguson have always dealt with it better because they are the only ones that have followed up success season after season.

It is a big year for Chelsea, but with the clout they have they are now ahead of Manchester United and Arsenal in the race for players.

Martin Jol Tottenham Hotspur

A team loses one game like Chelsea last year and you say this is a mickey mouse competition but you can't say that about the Premiership, which tells you how strong they are.

If you look at the other top sides then Arsenal maybe play the best football in England. They will challenge. Manchester United will challenge. But it won't be easy to make a 20-point gap a three-point gap.

I still think that, for example, Arsenal technically are at the same level. They have to win all their games against the other teams and that is difficult because Chelsea will win a lot of games but that is the situation in the league now.

Alan Pardew West Ham United

When you have scouted teams you can suggest maybe that if you lock up one side you're going to stop the main thrust of their attack. But with Chelsea you've got it coming from the middle, from the right and from the left. That's what you want to build from a team, to have a threat from all areas of the pitch, and of course they have it on the bench as well. If someone's having an off day Mourinho can just put on another international star.

He wants to keep his players there too. They've got dormant players who could be playing for West Ham; that's a bit of a gut-wrencher.

The pressure's on Mourinho to win. If you don't win, the players are not happy because then the manager's been wrong. At the moment it's all hunky-dory. Maybe a few dodgy results and that could surface but I think Mourinho's strong enough to handle that.

We played Chelsea in the Carling Cup last season and we've got such terrific power and pace in our team that we were able to contain them. But you still need to score and we didn't do that on the night and that's probably their biggest strength - that they don't concede.

Mark Hughes Blackburn Rovers

It's going to be difficult for any team to surpass them but you have to go into it thinking that anyone is capable of beating anyone at this level.

They have the "champions" badge on their arms now but that can sometimes have an adverse effect. However, they are an outstanding side.

Chris Coleman Fulham

For a team like ourselves to break into that top group and be able to challenge Chelsea we would have to spend about £200m. But we are realistic here and set realistic goals. If we have a good day and Chelsea are not on top form when we play them then who knows what will happen.

Everyone is talking about Chelsea and once again they are best equipped to win the league. Basically whoever finishes above Chelsea will be champions, but it will not be easy. They have a team of top international players and after winning the league last year I don't expect Jose Mourinho to have a rest, or his players for that matter.

Alan Curbishley Charlton Athletic

I don't know how you take more points off Chelsea this season, but I do not think they are going to run away with the title like they did last year. Arsenal and Manchester United didn't take maximum points from games they should have and lost some others which they wouldn't normally.

The difference with Chelsea was that the majority of times they would get the three points however they were playing. In contrast, Manchester United totally dominated some teams last season and ended up with only a draw or even got beat. Arsenal were exactly the same and I think they will both improve their results this season.

For that reason I think it is going to be really tight between all three of them this year. Chelsea might win it again but they won't be miles in front like last season.

David Moyes Everton

People are going to find Chelsea very difficult. There is an arrogance about them and they are capable of winning most games. We know a bit more than perhaps we did 12 months ago but there's no doubt they're still a super team. I wouldn't say there is any more pressure on them to defend the title they won.

Steve Bruce Birmingham City

Chelsea will definitely be the team to beat this season, but it is one thing winning the title and a totally different thing trying to retain it, so they will be under a little pressure from that point of view.

But they are formidable. You look at them on paper and they do not have any obvious weaknesses to exploit and they are trying to spend another £25m on Essien, so they will only be a stronger team this time around.

That is a frightening thought, but one thing you can be sure of is that Arsenal and Manchester United will have something to say about the title this season. They will both have been wounded by the way Chelsea ran away from them last season and will want to give them a much harder contest. Manchester United were unlucky with injuries last season but when they are upset they always seem to hit back very hard.

David O'Leary Aston Villa

Chelsea are strong, they're fit, they're physical, they have got players who have this will to win and they have a great squad. Arsenal and Manchester United can stop them but they will have to be at their very best and come out the traps right from the start.

I remember winning the title with Arsenal twice and we were never able to defend it well. United have done that and the challenge for Chelsea is to do the same, but with people like John Terry and Frank Lampard they have got hungry people who demand success.

David Pleat Guardian analyst

Full-backs can play an important role against Chelsea when their sides gain strong possession in midfield. They must be brave enough to make themselves available in attacks. This should force Chelsea's wide attackers to lose energy by tracking back.

Set plays need to be exploited. John Terry will mark the opposition's biggest threat in the air. The trick is to run Terry away from the ball and for the kicker to deliver into the area he has vacated.

Finally the back four must push out to compact things. It will reduce the aerial threat on goal and force defenders not to get too tight on Robben and Duff and be beaten by their clever spinning off the ball.

anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:53 am

It is not up to any team to stop Chelsea!
Our main focus is not on Chelsea,its on winning games week in week out home and away!The main thing Liverpool have to do this season is maintain a steady form in the league and not throw away points when we are playing teams of lower class like we did last year!There is no doubt in my mind that the ability is in our squad to be up there scrapping for the league at the end of the season!The one thing that is missing in our squad is a winning mentality and an aura of confidence,but Rafa is working on this im sure!If and when we string a few wins together all will be in place and we will all see the best of our team!
So basically we forget about Chelsea and play our game and work hard,then we worry about them when we meet them in the league and hope our boys do it on the day!!
Just for the record i think Chelsea are a great team,but i dont think they are a great as they are being portrayed!The biggest danger of every team looking up to them in my mind is giving them more respect than they deserve!This is dangerous,by feeling inferior before a ball is kicked any team is giving themselves a mountain to climb to beat them!I also think they'll loose more than 1 game this year too!I say bring them on,they're only human!
66-1120597113

Postby liverpoolrich » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:34 am

we have to win i can guarantee that chelsea dont draw with boro though
image/jpeg
liverpoolrich

Postby ArgentinaCRESPO » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:25 pm

why crespo?
got no money,no car, not even a slut to :censored:/but i don't care/ because we are carsi, kings of the world. or:got no money for the bar/too ugly to pull a girl/no charisma to cut a cool image/but we belong to besiktas, so :censored: the lot of you. the club colours are black and white:white-black, life-death
ArgentinaCRESPO

Postby liverpoolrich » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:31 pm

what
image/jpeg
liverpoolrich

Postby IstanBuL-FenerBaHce » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:44 pm

liverpoolrich, nevermind..

he's just an idiot :D
IstanBuL-FenerBaHce
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:23 pm

???
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Magician » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:30 pm

Start winning more away matches and make sure we win all our home games.
The Magician

Expect the Unexpected
The Magician

Postby DrTNT » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:40 pm

It of course will not be easy to stop Chelsea but as BarryBelfast said we have to concentrate on winning our matches week in week out. Determination is what is needed and we have bags of it, it shone at its brightest in those 6 unforgettable minutes in Istanbul.
REST IN PEACE PHIL!
DrTNT

Postby Afroman » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:46 pm

We need to be able to break down teams who just defend constantly, we need to defend as a team and not give the ball away,
And then maybe  :buttrock   :;):
Last edited by Afroman on Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Afroman
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Garymac » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:46 pm

Put the ball in the goal more times then they do, that normally does the trick, Wigan showed if you get amongst them, they not unbeatable, i personally dont make much of there front line for all there money they could have far better strikers, kick Robben duff and cole and they cry like the tw@ts they are, Fat franks fat, Carvalho looks like a waiter, and not even a good one, fullbacks great going forward but not the best defensively, look how many times gallas and terry have to cover for them, and they have paid 200 milion quid to play the long ball? take a look at there goal on sunday, my overall opinion.........................They will still p!ss the league.
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby drummerphil » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:40 pm

getting that russian bloke gunned down would help.........lol
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion