Top clubs consider overseas games

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby tommycockles » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:31 pm

i'm not sure if i agree with it although it wil be unfair to the lesser sides that don't have many fans abroad as all the fans will be supporting Manuniteed and Livapool!! (sorry to any overseas guys on here).

Another problem with a draw is what if Wigan get Derby in Sydney - who's going to go to that!! May as well stay at home and have no crowd
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:31 pm

tommycockles wrote:i'm not sure if i agree with it although it wil be unfair to the lesser sides that don't have many fans abroad as all the fans will be supporting Manuniteed and Livapool!! (sorry to any overseas guys on here).

Another problem with a draw is what if Wigan get Derby in Sydney - who's going to go to that!! May as well stay at home and have no crowd

thats why I think it could only work if you seeded all 20 teams that way if you don't have one of the top teams as an option to watch you should have a very competitive game between two decent sides

One extra game is not going to seriously effect the clutter of the schedule, especially if you play it 10 days before the first prem games in england.  All games affect the table equally now it will be based on 39 instead of 38 so very small impact on the final standings and potentially one of the biggest money making games of the year for the smaller clubs, and the benefit will come over several years with increasing the international fan base and as such increasing international tv viewers which increases how much the rights are sold for which increases the money that each club recieves making Prem clubs stronger in Europe

Nobody is loosing any home games, and I don't think they would expect to many English fans to travel because I think its meant for the international fans to get to see their team in their own backyard
JoeTerp

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:38 pm

It's a good idea. A chance to expand fanbases and take advantage of business opportunities. I'd prefer two games, rather than one, take make it 40 games rather than 39. The only problem with this is that while people abroad may snap up tickets for "Liverpool vs Arsenal" they might not be so interested in "Reading vs Sunderland"
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby destro » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:43 pm

I don't think Liverpool V Arsenal would happen I am pretty sure that the top 4/5 teams cant play each other if this idea goes through

*Disclaimer : I have not actually read up on this I just heard a bit about it on the radio earlier and the condition regarding the top teams was mentioned :)
destro

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:47 pm

I heard it would be random draws. Four teams per city.

It sounds great. It adds a game, rather than takes one away, so it doesn't effect the season ticket holders and it's a game in January so it's not going to be a relegation or title decider.

Good stuff.
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:48 pm

The Manhattan Project wrote:The only problem with this is that while people abroad may snap up tickets for "Liverpool vs Arsenal" they might not be so interested in "Reading vs Sunderland"
[/b]

If they do stick with the the draw idea while seeding the top 4 or 5 then I suggest that the premier league picks the cities that the games are held in. It sounds like 5 cities will each host 2 matches. So you make sure that that each of the 5 "protected" teams play in the 5 different cities and then you try and sell a good amount of tickets in bundles.  A lot of MLS clubs did this for Beckham tickets where they only way that you could buy tickets to watch Becks play was to buy a ticket pack that included 3 or 4 other games.  Then with about 2 weeks to go they sold single tickets but all the good seats were taken up and there was limited seating available so they could charge higher prices for worse seats. Great way to make a ton of money.
JoeTerp

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:51 pm

JoeTerp wrote:
tommycockles wrote:i'm not sure if i agree with it although it wil be unfair to the lesser sides that don't have many fans abroad as all the fans will be supporting Manuniteed and Livapool!! (sorry to any overseas guys on here).

thats why I think it could only work if you seeded all 20 teams that way if you don't have one of the top teams as an option to watch you should have a very competitive game between two decent sides

One extra game is not going to seriously effect the clutter of the schedule, especially if you play it 10 days before the first prem games in england.  All games affect the table equally now it will be based on 39 instead of 38 so very small impact on the final standings and potentially one of the biggest money making games of the year for the smaller clubs, and the benefit will come over several years with increasing the international fan base and as such increasing international tv viewers which increases how much the rights are sold for which increases the money that each club recieves making Prem clubs stronger in Europe

Nobody is loosing any home games, and I don't think they would expect to many English fans to travel because I think its meant for the international fans to get to see their team in their own backyard

I think you are missing the point Joe, The league is based on each team playing the rest TWICE in a season , not....... plus one team THREE TIMES.

This is not like changing the offside rule or playing the ball back to the goalkeeper rule. This is fundamental to the idea of a league. Infact its so fundamental that all the other countries in Europe use it as well.

Its about fairness not about how much money can we get out of the mugs abroad.  This is just about greed nothing more. It adds nothing to the sport, it just strips away any and all justification for having a LEAGUE in the first place.

You don't really have a league system in American football (rugby), its just get to the top and then have playoffs so it doesn't really have the same impact on your sport.

The league is not won by playoffs its won by the team that gets the most points playing all the other teams home and away. You might as well put points up for sale and sell them to the highest bidder.

FFS we can't even have a replay when teams draw in the FA CUP final anymore, but now they are asking teams to play an extra game in a foreign country . Total b0llocks.

And will this extra money mean more security for clubs, will it hell, it will just mean more clubs gambling more money on players and players wages, and we will be no better off than we are now.
account deleted by request

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:55 pm

JoeTerp wrote:
The Manhattan Project wrote:The only problem with this is that while people abroad may snap up tickets for "Liverpool vs Arsenal" they might not be so interested in "Reading vs Sunderland"
[/b]

If they do stick with the the draw idea while seeding the top 4 or 5 then I suggest that the premier league picks the cities that the games are held in. It sounds like 5 cities will each host 2 matches. So you make sure that that each of the 5 "protected" teams play in the 5 different cities and then you try and sell a good amount of tickets in bundles.  A lot of MLS clubs did this for Beckham tickets where they only way that you could buy tickets to watch Becks play was to buy a ticket pack that included 3 or 4 other games.  Then with about 2 weeks to go they sold single tickets but all the good seats were taken up and there was limited seating available so they could charge higher prices for worse seats. Great way to make a ton of money.

That's a good idea.

By 2010/2011 our new stadium will be almost ready to begin construction once version 332 has been approved.
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:30 pm

Maybe i'm getting old and not prepared to move with the times but football is just getting ridiculous.  Somebody posted the 1974 cup final on another thread.  Could you imagine if it had been suggested back then that a league game would have to be played in France.  It would have been met with disbelief.  This is all about money as usual.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:34 pm

If it makes Liverpool richer, then fook it, I'm all for it.

The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Yeah, what the fk does tradition and history matter when we can gain a couple of dollars. Maybe we should get the CL cup on eBAY, we might get a couple of hundred dollars for it. Then there's a nice statue of Shanks we could get a fair bit for as well.

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:41 pm

s@int wrote:Yeah, what the fk does tradition and history matter when we can gain a couple of dollars. Maybe we should get the CL cup on eBAY, we might get a couple of hundred dollars for it. Then there's a nice statue of Shanks we could get a fair bit for as well.

We either go along with the plan, or we get left behind.

Playing a match abroad doesn't cause our history or tradition to disappear suddenly.
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:53 pm

No we stand up for what we think is right, not sell our souls at the first fkn offer. If we stand by and let this happen whats next, breaks every 15 minutes for adverts?

I have tried to explain but obviously I am not being clear enough. Its not a fu.cking league if you play one team 3 times, its just some other competition entirely.

If Liverpool or any other club don't go along with it, what the hell are they going to do then. Its not about being left behind its about selling out.

If they want to play matches abroad play a cup, not the fuc.king league.

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:58 pm

I don't think any of these foreign games would be played in Europe

And S@int, doesn't Scotland NOT play each team an equal amount of times? and the Dutch have playoffs do determine their European slots.

I don't agree with a random draw because luck shouldn't have anything to do with the schedule

But maybe people need to start being so idealistic and more pragmatic.  This extra game could add a lot of excitment and a LOT of money and from what I have read a decent chunk of it will go to helping develop young talent in England
JoeTerp

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:02 pm

JoeTerp wrote:I don't think any of these foreign games would be played in Europe

And S@int, doesn't Scotland NOT play each team an equal amount of times? and the Dutch have playoffs do determine their European slots.

I don't agree with a random draw because luck shouldn't have anything to do with the schedule

But maybe people need to start being so idealistic and more pragmatic.  This extra game could add a lot of excitment and a LOT of money and from what I have read a decent chunk of it will go to helping develop young talent in England

What excitement would a meaningless game abroad add to the ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE. Nothing. Anyway I am just getting f.ucking annoyed now so I am off.

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion