Teams to look out for in the next 5 years - Premiership team to non league teams

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby lakes10 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:40 am

As money is now playing a bit part in footbal the top 4 teams seem to be set to stay the top for teams for some time.
However there are still a few teams that look like (or I think) could make a lot of progress over the next 5 years..
I am going to list a few that I know of that have a good change of making something of them self.

Aston Villa (ok that’s a given, new money and doing well on it)

Man City (started well this year, a new manager could see them push for a top spot soon).

Cardiff (doing well in the FA cup this year but have not been looking to bad for a few years, more money is coming into the club).

Southend Utd, (Almost made it big a few years ago but had to sell their top players, things look better at the club now and with a new ground on the cards could seem them becoming a force in football in a few years.)

Leeds ( been far the best team in their league this year, will be in the prem very soon).

Milton Keynes (well we all know their history and I feel sorry for the true Dons fans, new money new ground I can see them only moving up).

Ebbsfleet United  9 a lot of money has just been put into their area and they are getting some of it, a very strange ground and if you are ever down that way pop into have a look).

Chelmsford City FC ( ok this might take a lot longer than 5 years, I have been teaching at there ground for the last 14 weeks and have heard the passion , big plans for money , have a new ground at the athletics stadium . Could see then in the league in 5 years .)
Last edited by lakes10 on Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:11 am

I think Spurs might finally do something over the next few years, I can see them properly challenging for a top 4 spot next year.  This guy Ramos is no mug and he'll make them into a good side over the next few years.  He's already got about half a dozen or so quality players to start with.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:21 am

john craig wrote:I think Spurs might finally do something over the next few years, I can see them properly challenging for a top 4 spot next year.  This guy Ramos is no mug and he'll make them into a good side over the next few years.  He's already got about half a dozen or so quality players to start with.

yep true, the thing is you dont often here them talk about money....could mean they are sitting ona pot of it aswell.

The thing is any team can have a good year but what happens then is the top 4 clubs try to buy your players, this is when you need the money to keep the players.

If West Ham would have had money they would have been a top 4 club for the last 15 years.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:31 am

lakes10 wrote:
john craig wrote:I think Spurs might finally do something over the next few years, I can see them properly challenging for a top 4 spot next year.  This guy Ramos is no mug and he'll make them into a good side over the next few years.  He's already got about half a dozen or so quality players to start with.

yep true, the thing is you dont often here them talk about money....could mean they are sitting ona pot of it aswell.

The thing is any team can have a good year but what happens then is the top 4 clubs try to buy your players, this is when you need the money to keep the players.

If West Ham would have had money they would have been a top 4 club for the last 15 years.

I think there will be a few surprises!

Football has gone beyond unpredictable.There seems to be a new trend,billionaire businessmen pop up from no where these days and pump money into clubs.Its hard to say what will happen but it will interesting to see if any one can break into the big 4.

As for MK Dons i hate them so they can stay where they are.They win nearly every week then when i put them on my saturday bet they loose or draw....cost me a small fortune this year! :D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:45 am

lakes10 wrote:As money is now playing a bit part in footbal the top 4 teams seem to be set to stay the top for teams for some time.
However there are still a few teams that look like (or I think) could make a lot of progress over the next 5 years..
I am going to list a few that I know of that have a good change of making something of them self.

Aston Villa (ok that’s a given, new money and doing well on it)

Man City (started well this year, a new manager could see them push for a top spot soon).

Cardiff (doing well in the FA cup this year but have not been looking to bad for a few years, more money is coming into the club).

Southend Utd, (Almost made it big a few years ago but had to sell their top players, things look better at the club now and with a new ground on the cards could seem them becoming a force in football in a few years.)

Leeds ( been far the best team in their league this year, will be in the prem very soon).

Milton Keynes (well we all know their history and I feel sorry for the true Dons fans, new money new ground I can see them only moving up).

Ebbsfleet United  9 a lot of money has just been put into their area and they are getting some of it, a very strange ground and if you are ever down that way pop into have a look).

Chelmsford City FC ( ok this might take a lot longer than 5 years, I have been teaching at there ground for the last 14 weeks and have heard the passion , big plans for money , have a new ground at the athletics stadium . Could see then in the league in 5 years .)

My five would be:

Aston Villa - New money, new success. Martin O'Neill has used his squad to good effect and has some cracking youngsters.

Portsmouth - Always been a fan of Harry Redknapp. Seems to have a good eye for talent that is often missed by the bigger clubs

Brighton - Quietly creeping up the league. Good support and a big new ground planned.

Leeds - Should never of slumped down the leagues like they did. Can also see them in the premiership sooner rather than later. Shame Wise jumped ship for money.

MK Dons - Another side would didn't really derserve to fall from grace like they did. Quality continues to show.

As for Ebbsfleet, i'm on the fence. Success there will depend on whether this website owned and run club will work.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:11 am

Blackpool  :buttrock
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:36 pm

Spurs - definately on the up under Ramos. Can see a real fight for fourth next season.

Newcastle - Money to spend and Keegan loves spending, maybe not top 5 next season but watch out the season after.

Man city - Money ambition and talented young players, I can see Citeh pushing for top 5 or 6 next season.
                                                  -----------------------------
Villa - back to the drawing board if they sell Barry, can see them struggling to stay in the top half next year.

Portsmouth - The slow slide to mediocrity next season.

Everton - may avoid relegation next season, but I hope not!
account deleted by request

Postby The Manhattan Project » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:46 pm

I'd say QPR.

china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby clarke90 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:41 pm

The Manhattan Project (Posted on April 23 2008,19:46)
I'd say QPR.

If only the owners would have invested in us.
With the money power would'nt be surprised to see them in the Prem in the next few years.
clarke90

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:46 am

Villa especially and Spurs.

I think they'll be spending a few quid in the summer, and they both have very good managers.

Although it's always difficult to predict which teams will come good over the next few years.

I'd be very surprised if Newcastle ever manager to challenge for the top six in the next five years, given the number of other teams competing for the same positions;

Villa
Spurs
Everton
Man City
Portsmouth

They'll all spend a few quid and all have good managers. No doubt Newcastle fans will be expecting a title challenge pretty soon though  :O
LFC2007

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:51 pm

My 5

Villa - Good manager , with good players like young and petrov and abgohlaor . Would be abit harder to push for a top 8 if they sell barry

Pompey - Top 8 also , jermiane defore has been a revaluation for then 6 goals in his last 6 . Their strike force is also pretty strong overall

Leeds - Best team in their division and expect them to be in the prem within 3 years

Everton - Top 8 , no where near to get in the top 4 with fringe players like hibbet , neville , jageilka . Starting to rebuild with Yakubu and pienaar

Spurs - Ramos gonna have a mass exodus and expect only berbatov and a few other to stay , will spend big and i think they will be 5-7 next year
Last edited by Toffeehater on Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:00 pm

I am surprised that people seem to have the perception that O'Neil has done well with Villa, when the truth is they have gained LESS points under O'Neill than they did under the much maligned O'Leary in the same number of games. I don't dispute that O'Neil is a good manager, just that he hasn't done as well as most people seem to think. His buys (apart from Young) have hardly been inspired and he seems to have spent a considerable amount of money on average players.

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:24 pm

clarke90 wrote:The Manhattan Project (Posted on April 23 2008,19:46)
I'd say QPR.

If only the owners would have invested in us.
With the money power would'nt be surprised to see them in the Prem in the next few years.

With Mittal, Briatore and Ecclestone, QPR could spend Chelsea-levels of money.

I'm surprised they already haven't started, unless of course they are going for a steady approach instead.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:48 pm

Villa > O'leary > 16th > maligned
Villa > O'neil > 11th
Villa > O'neil > Average buys > 5th/6th/7th/8th

Progression for sure, thus far.
LFC2007

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:24 pm

O'Leary also finished 6th and 8th, and gained more points than O'Neil in the same number of games.  X million and a rich American owner later.......

My point was more about how some managers are perceived to be failures while broadly speaking achieving the same as other managers who are seen as being much more successful.

Next

Return to Premiership - General Discussion