Sky lose exclusive tv premiership rights

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:49 pm

Just heard on the radio that Sky have lost the exclusive rights to broadcast live Premiership football from 2007 onwards.

Do you think this is good or bad?.

Despite the bias that undoubtedly runs through Sky their actual coverage of the games themselves is top notch and streets better than the BBC and that shambles that is ITV.

I can just see it now if football is live in the evenings on the BBC. The kick off times would be changed to accomodate Eastenders just like our UEFA Cup match against Barcelona in 2001 was.
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:59 pm

stmichael wrote:Just heard on the radio that Sky have lost the exclusive rights to broadcast live Premiership football from 2007 onwards.

Despite the bias that undoubtedly runs through Sky their actual coverage of the games themselves is top notch and streets better than the BBC and that shambles that is ITV.

I can just see it now if football is live in the evenings on the BBC. The kick off times would be changed to accomodate Eastenders just like our UEFA Cup match against Barcelona in 2001 was.

Its a little early to comment on times of matches.  There is no reason why games could not be at 3pm, 4pm or 5pm on a Saturday or Sunday.. 

Sky is v expensive, but you are right,St Mick, the coverage is excellent and IMO worth every penny.  Its now up to the BBC and (especially) ITV to bring their standards up. 

Hopefully the BBC will get rid of that boring little man MOTTY before live games appear on the terrestrial channels!  This also begs the question, will the BBC or ITV start a pay per view channel, if not where is the money coming from??
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Big Niall » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:03 pm

I have watched LFC beat Sunderland and West Ham live on terrestrial tv in Ireland so I'm happy now anyway. Live game on most Saturdays.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 84-1106852058 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:50 pm

Usually when a person/company has its stranglehold broken,I,m the first to say about time.Not this time tho.Sky has a lot wrong with it,Kick off times,games postponed and expensive subscriptions.

When it comes down to it,there coverage is excellent.The BBC can not expecct to compete with Skys coverage,so its us as the consumers who lose out.I wont even comment on the utter bollox that is ITV.[Boxing commentators,for Champions league FFS.]

It might be early days yet,but terrestrial tv is that far behind SKY,It will be us the supporters that lose out.
84-1106852058

Postby ckay » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:02 pm

Ola Mr Benitez wrote:
stmichael wrote:Just heard on the radio that Sky have lost the exclusive rights to broadcast live Premiership football from 2007 onwards.

Its a little early to comment on times of matches.  There is no reason why games could not be at 3pm, 4pm or 5pm on a Saturday or Sunday.. 

Sky is v expensive, but you are right,St Mick, the coverage is excellent and IMO worth every penny.  Its now up to the BBC and (especially) ITV to bring their standards up. 

Hopefully the BBC will get rid of that boring little man MOTTY before live games appear on the terrestrial channels!  This also begs the question, will the BBC or ITV start a pay per view channel, if not where is the money coming from??

Can you imagine though, they get rid of Motty and get Jonathan Pearce in instead. the guy is no better than a pub commentator!!!!!!!
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:43 pm

To be honest the more premiership football on terrestrial the better.I know the coverage on Sky is much better than bbc/itv, especially ITV with its joke presenters and Robbies :censored: score card,but alot of people cant afford it.I myself this year have had two cancer operations and spent nearly 10 months either in bed or in and out of hospital.One of my pleasures in life is Liverpool fc and football in general.The the way it is going because its taken a big toll on our finances with me being ill is Sky tv may very soon become a luxery i might have to do without and at this moment in time my main hobby is watching football from my bed...........There are many many more in the same boat and live premiership football for me on terrestrial tv could be a god send.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:50 pm

I know what your saying. Just seems that all our games are on Prem Plus too so you have to pay again.

I for one can't afford sky.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:03 pm

I think its fair enough to take the games off sky!
After all they've been robbing people for years!It cost £45 a month for the sports package.Personally i watch little else than football and the odd movie!Its £45 then for the sports and 90% of the rest that comes with it is pure sh.ite but as we all know we cant just opt for sport alone we have to take and pay for the rest of the cr.ap whether we like it or not!
But the robbery does,nt stop there!
For our £45 hard earned cash per month we only get about 60% of all games they cover and have to either pay per game or take the one off offer of a season ticket that buys us the rest of the games we want! How fu.ckin great of them to do the season ticket offer! As if £45 a month isnt enough to pay ffs!

Will be great to see more football on normal TV and i'm sure they'll fit them in live somewhere maybe even start a new channel for sport! Who knows?
And if the majority of footy does go to another station im sure it wont be long before the best presenters and commentators follow!
And then we can all tell Sky to shove their season ticket up their A.rse!
66-1120597113

Postby H_K_LFC » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:20 pm

Big Niall wrote:I have watched LFC beat Sunderland and West Ham live on terrestrial tv in Ireland so I'm happy now anyway. Live game on most Saturdays.

Do live liverpool games come on in ireland? ???
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:45 pm

There`s a few different TV packages and Sky only lose the rights to bid on one of them.BBC or ITV will probably get the 5pm Saturday matches and i doubt they will be a big loss to Sky.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:51 pm

H_K_LFC wrote:
Big Niall wrote:I have watched LFC beat Sunderland and West Ham live on terrestrial tv in Ireland so I'm happy now anyway. Live game on most Saturdays.

Do live liverpool games come on in ireland? ???

RTE get the pick of the 3pm Saturday kick offs.Its usually Liverpool,Manure or Arsenal.Pick up an Irish Sky card on Ebay and you can use it in your U.K sky box on Saturday afternoons.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:54 pm

drummerphil wrote:.I myself this year have had two cancer operations and spent nearly 10 months either in bed or in and out of hospital.One of my pleasures in life is Liverpool fc and football in general.The the way it is going because its taken a big toll on our finances with me being ill is Sky tv may very soon become a luxery i might have to do without and at this moment in time my main hobby is watching football from my bed...........There are many many more in the same boat and live premiership football for me on terrestrial tv could be a god send.

Sorry to here that mate.Hope your recovery is going well.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:35 pm

greenred wrote:There`s a few different TV packages and Sky only lose the rights to bid on one of them.BBC or ITV will probably get the 5pm Saturday matches and i doubt they will be a big loss to Sky.

Was'nt aware of that greenred!!
So basically most games will remain on Sky and they'll still charge us a monthly rate for a package and extort more cash from us on the season ticket! :angry:

I suppose it makes sense that BBC/ITV will only get a small percentage of the matches!
I'd doubt they'd have the resources to pay the clubs the rights to 4 games a week,i think its £750,000 a club gets for letting the cameras in!
All about the money as usual!
66-1120597113

Postby greenred » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:47 pm

BarryBelfast wrote:
greenred wrote:There`s a few different TV packages and Sky only lose the rights to bid on one of them.BBC or ITV will probably get the 5pm Saturday matches and i doubt they will be a big loss to Sky.

Was'nt aware of that greenred!!
So basically most games will remain on Sky and they'll still charge us a monthly rate for a package and extort more cash from us on the season ticket! :angry:

Afraid so Barry.Sky have us by the bollox and there`s nothing we can do about it. :(
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ckay » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:20 am

I heard the news last night saying that the live games will be split into 8 sections and sky can bid for upto 7 sections. Also with Tele west and NTL merging they will also be bidding. It's said to be worth £1 billion.
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Premiership - General Discussion