Now shevchenko joins chealsea! - How can we beat them?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:03 pm

On the subject of Shevchenko, can't disagree with him being a world class striker - his scoring record in Serie A is excellent.  But it was interesting today on Sky Sports to hear the reactions of some of the Chelsea fans to his signing - a few said that although he's a great player, a 4 year deal for a player turning 30 next season on a reported 130K per week is ludicrous.  I agree with this entirely.

People also forget that a major part of Shevchenko's success is his pace, and that's going to disappear gradually over the next 2 seasons, if it hasn't started to already - I certainly don't think he has the acceleration he had in his mid-20's.

Despite this, although I'm disappointed he's gone to Chelsea, I'm looking forward to seeing how Shevchenko takes to the premiership.  I reckon he'll be a success, but I doubt he'll be worth that price tag at the age he's at now.  One thing's for sure, Chelsea's tactics/formation will have to completely change next season if Sheva's going to be the focal point of their attack, he's no back-to-goal player like Drogba, he'll be looking for through balls down the channels all the time.  I predict that Shevchenko will easily beat the scoring records of Drogba etc from the last few seasons, but Lampard will score nowhere near the 20 goals he hit this season because the focus will be playing Sheva in rather than getting the ball to stick up front for the midfielders to run beyond.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:14 pm

john craig wrote:One thing's for sure, Chelsea's tactics/formation will have to completely change next season if Sheva's going to be the focal point of their attack, he's no back-to-goal player like Drogba, he'll be looking for through balls down the channels all the time.  I predict that Shevchenko will easily beat the scoring records of Drogba etc from the last few seasons, but Lampard will score nowhere near the 20 goals he hit this season because the focus will be playing Sheva in rather than getting the ball to stick up front for the midfielders to run beyond.

Agreed, they'll need to re-jig tactically to accommodate both Sheva and Ballack.  It'll be interesting to see what kind of service Shevchenko gets.  Who's going to be playing those lovely weighted balls for him to run onto for Chelsea?  Do they have a Kaka-esque playmaker in the midfield?  It would seem not and so I could see Andriy getting quite frustrated with the whole Chelsea set-up next season.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby JC_81 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:27 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
john craig wrote:One thing's for sure, Chelsea's tactics/formation will have to completely change next season if Sheva's going to be the focal point of their attack, he's no back-to-goal player like Drogba, he'll be looking for through balls down the channels all the time.  I predict that Shevchenko will easily beat the scoring records of Drogba etc from the last few seasons, but Lampard will score nowhere near the 20 goals he hit this season because the focus will be playing Sheva in rather than getting the ball to stick up front for the midfielders to run beyond.

Agreed, they'll need to re-jig tactically to accommodate both Sheva and Ballack.  It'll be interesting to see what kind of service Shevchenko gets.  Who's going to be playing those lovely weighted balls for him to run onto for Chelsea?  Do they have a Kaka-esque playmaker in the midfield?  It would seem not and so I could see Andriy getting quite frustrated with the whole Chelsea set-up next season.

Surely one or two players are going to have to be shown the door by Chelsea this summer.  They have 4 wingers but with the signing of Ballack and Lampard also seemingly undroppable surely their midfield is going to resemble more of a diamond next season with everyone fit.  Something like...

Makelele

Essien     Lampard

Ballack

I agree with one of the above posts that suggested SWP and Duff will get almost no game time next season.  They need to move on.

As for who's going to be the supply line for Shevchenko, the only player renowned for his long passing of the above 4 is Lampard, but whether he wants to take on the role of playmaker rather than goalscoring midfielder I would doubt.  And then there's Ballack to further cramp his style...

Certainly wouldn't want Mourinho's job next season.  I also predict that next season will be his last with Chelsea, whether they win the CL or not.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:28 am

john craig wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

Surely one or two players are going to have to be shown the door by Chelsea this summer.  They have 4 wingers but with the signing of Ballack and Lampard also seemingly undroppable surely their midfield is going to resemble more of a diamond next season with everyone fit.  Something like...

Makelele

Essien     Lampard

Ballack

I agree with one of the above posts that suggested SWP and Duff will get almost no game time next season.  They need to move on.

As for who's going to be the supply line for Shevchenko, the only player renowned for his long passing of the above 4 is Lampard, but whether he wants to take on the role of playmaker rather than goalscoring midfielder I would doubt.  And then there's Ballack to further cramp his style...

Certainly wouldn't want Mourinho's job next season.  I also predict that next season will be his last with Chelsea, whether they win the CL or not.

And on another note, there is a chronic lack of pace in that midfield.
If Gonzalez settles sharpish (assuming he is allowed to by the b*stard Government), and the RW we get in is quick, we could seriously destroy them next term.
Fat Frank is about as fast as I am, Bollock wouldn't know a tackle if it got up and gave him a haircut, Essien will be too busy fouling, and Makelele isn't exactly able to cover for Fatty AND Bollock.

Totally stupid signing, Bollock's was.

Funny isn't it!?!  :D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:12 am

I agree partially with Lando about their midfield lacking pace then again we don't know that's the formation Jose will use next season. I'll admit it does look like the most likely one. Altho I still think that Mourinho could well deploy wingers in the League macthes to create that pace and intensity, to open up the game and give Chelsea more attacking options.

The diamond formation could well be for the Champions League where the games aren't quite so in your face with pace.

The Premiership midfield might look something like this:

J. Cole---------Makelele----------Lampard---------Robben

-------------------------Ballack--------------------------

-----------------------Shevchenko-----------------------

& perhaps this will be there European midfield set up:

------------------------Makelele-------------------
----------------Essien------------Lampard----------
------------------------Ballack---------------------

I could certainly see those two formations being used thru out next season. I still think from the signing of Ballack and Shevchenko, Chelsea are focusing mainly on the European Campaign as Arsenal and Liverpool have both got to the final in consectutive seasons.
48-1119859832

Postby Kharhaz » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:40 pm

Why cant we sell hamann for that price? if shevchenko is the best at what he does for his age what about didi? Whats the odds for mourinho being sacked at the end of next season if he doesnt win the champs league?
All questions that must be answered, however what will happen when we lift the Premiership as well?
No wonder maureen is buying big !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:43 pm

Kharhaz wrote:Why cant we sell hamann for that price? if shevchenko is the best at what he does for his age what about didi?

There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:44 pm

Kharhaz wrote:Why cant we sell hamann for that price? if shevchenko is the best at what he does for his age what about didi?

:O
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redsince2001 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:12 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:
john craig wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

Makelele

Essien     Lampard

Ballack

And on another note, there is a chronic lack of pace in that midfield.
If Gonzalez settles sharpish (assuming he is allowed to by the b*stard Government), and the RW we get in is quick, we could seriously destroy them next term.
Fat Frank is about as fast as I am, Bollock wouldn't know a tackle if it got up and gave him a haircut, Essien will be too busy fouling, and Makelele isn't exactly able to cover for Fatty AND Bollock.

Totally stupid signing, Bollock's was.

Funny isn't it!?!  :D

yes u r funny :nod
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:46 pm

Not that bad a signing, the guy bollox was on a free and is one of the best midfielders inthe world... ive seen worse signings in my time
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redsince2001 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:33 am

:censored: didnt do much in the world cup
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:22 am

Shevchenko said he wanted his children to grow up in a place where the people spoke fluent coherant English.

So why did he move to London then?
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:06 pm

Did anyone read this yesterday?

Chelsea will ask Fifa to investigate an alleged illegal approach from Real Madrid for Dutch winger Arjen Robben.

I mean talk about pot kettle black :angry:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:28 am

Did anyone read this yesterday?

Chelsea will ask Fifa to investigate an alleged illegal approach from Real Madrid for Dutch winger Arjen Robben.

I mean talk about pot kettle black

According to BBC News, Chelsea just announced they have bought the pot for £24 million and the kettle for £34 million.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Premiership - General Discussion