Not just another michael owen thread! - (well, i suppose it is actually)

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:45 pm

Greame Souness. Living prouf that great players don't always make great managers. The first managerial casualty of the season and I dare say many Toon army members would say that he should have gone earlier. So how does this effect us at Liverpool. Well, after Sven's fake sheik incident where the England manager claimed that Michael Owen only went to Newcastle for the money (and let's face it, he probably did) the player spoke to the press. Owen claimed that he went to Newcastle for the "managerial style" of Souness, which is now not only irrelevent, but if that was the reason, does it now mean that he no longer wants to be at St. James Park? Maybe, if this is true, he could well have had a managerial release clause allowing him to jump after Greame was pushed. It's just something to think about.

I still think we are only missing a 20 a season striker in our quest to be a complete team capable of challenging for the title. There are also rumours that without European qualification in the next two years, Newcastle will have trouble paying Owen's wages (though they are a very rich club). Whatever your personal feelings are about Owen's behaivior, you have to admit that he is pure quality when he's fit and I still think that If we'd of had him last season we would of been celebrating a premiership and Champion's league double.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:54 pm

If we had Owen last season we still wouldnt have won the league, that said I would I would still like him back because he scores goals simple as that.

No matter who he plays with up front or no matter what team he is playin in, he scores goals. We need a player like him. Im getting fed up of dominating games and at the end of the match it not showing on the score board.

I cant see him staying with newcastle past the summer but we will see. I doubt when he left us he thought that Gleen Roeder would now be his manager :laugh:
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:56 pm

The Ace1983 wrote:Greame Souness. Living prouf that great players don't always make great managers. The first managerial casualty of the season and I dare say many Toon army members would say that he should have gone earlier. So how does this effect us at Liverpool. Well, after Sven's fake sheik incident where the England manager claimed that Michael Owen only went to Newcastle for the money (and let's face it, he probably did) the player spoke to the press. Owen claimed that he went to Newcastle for the "managerial style" of Souness, which is now not only irrelevent, but if that was the reason, does it now mean that he no longer wants to be at St. James Park? Maybe, if this is true, he could well have had a managerial release clause allowing him to jump after Greame was pushed. It's just something to think about.

I still think we are only missing a 20 a season striker in our quest to be a complete team capable of challenging for the title. There are also rumours that without European qualification in the next two years, Newcastle will have trouble paying Owen's wages (though they are a very rich club). Whatever your personal feelings are about Owen's behaivior, you have to admit that he is pure quality when he's fit and I still think that If we'd of had him last season we would of been celebrating a premiership and Champion's league double.

Fowler and Owen don't get along apparently.

Fowler and Owen could have been and should have been one of the best strike forces of all time but down to one of them, if not both and down to poor management of both players it never materialised.

I seriously doubt we'll ever see Owen in a red shirt again which is a shame as he's a class player. To be honest though, i genuinely believe Roobie is capable of scoring 10-15 goals between now and the end of the season aswell as scoring 20 next season.

I genuinely believe oer the coming weeks we'll see fit Fowler scoring goals and playing well which will help us close the gap on Chelsea. Kewell and Fowler will develop an understanding. :)
115-1073096938

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:00 pm

stu_the_red wrote:I seriously doubt we'll ever see Owen in a red shirt again which is a shame as he's a class player.

I thought you hated that phrase?  :D
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:02 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Fowler and Owen don't get along apparently.

Fowler and Owen could have been and should have been one of the best strike forces of all time but down to one of them, if not both and down to poor management of both players it never materialised.

yeah it should have happened more during the treble season but it just didn't happen because owen spent about two months injured with concussion and heskey played out of his skin that season.

however i do remember the last game of the season away at charlton when we won 4-0 and fowler and owen completely tore them to shreds.

what could have been. :(
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:03 pm

The Ace1983 wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:I seriously doubt we'll ever see Owen in a red shirt again which is a shame as he's a class player.

I thought you hated that phrase?  :D

Owen is class though. Players like Sissoko, Riise and Finnan aren't. :)
115-1073096938

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:11 pm

The other benefit of a player like Owen is that he makes players around him look better. He'll improve stats for Crouch, Fowler, Cisse and Nando.
Last edited by The Ace1983 on Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:18 pm

Even with owen last season i think we'd have only been 5-10 pts better off in the league due to our away form. As for bringing him back to liverpool i just can't get past his very dubious nature of England comes 1st; we all know that's the only reason he left madrid for the barcodes - for me as most people on here LFC will always come first and i see england as only a passing interest during the summer when there is no league footy and i'll admit it that if they do well in the big summer tournaments i will become a glory hunter. Now some of you will say that what does it matter if owen thinks about his england place first as long as he's using liverpool to secure it by banging the goals in; well it ain't gonna work like that all of the time - firstly after the worldcup there will be a new manager in place who may not be like sven and be so easily swayed by reputation alone so if the same situation arises next summer were for example we are going up against say a rapidly deterioratign Arsenal who may have just lost Henry to Barca and so can pretty much guarantee him a start evry game whereas Rafa won't 'cos he likes to occasionally shuffle the pack - who's he gona join? Arsenal of course IMO simply to make sure he is playing so that the new england manager is gonna pick him.
Yes i admit that i have a bit of a dislike of owen now since he left anfield (not that i don't still appreciate his goals that he scored for us) but his excuse of wanting to go to a club more likely to challenge for major honours isn't good enough and i'm glad that it came back and bit him squarely on the ass; also the way that he so clearly snubbed rafa in 2004 by forcing his hand into selling him and then snubbing liverpool again last summer by losing his bottle and plumping for newcastle doesn't help his case for me.
Would I want him back at anfield then? well i probably wouldn't be outraged if he came back to the club but he would have a hell of big job on his hands to make me forget the last couple of summers and i wouldn't be as excited by it like i have been by the return of god and i just wonder whether  there are many liverpool fans that feel the same way 'cos it was always clear he was never loved by the kop as much as what fowler was/is.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion