Keegan returns to newcastle - I bet fergies loving it!

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:02 pm

Keegan Returns to Newcastle

Keegan in shock Newcastle return

Newcastle have confirmed that Kevin Keegan will make a dramatic return to manage the club.

The 56-year-old former Manchester City boss managed the Magpies from 1992 to 1997 and will return to St James' Park as Sam Allardyce's successor.

Gerard Houllier and Didier Deschamps were strongly linked with the position in the last two days but the club unexpectedly turned to Keegan.

He was initially linked only with a partnership role with Alan Shearer.

The ex-England coach was running his "Soccer Circus" in Glasgow after quitting his job at City in March 2005.

He was also linked with a return to the club last summer as director of football following Mike Ashley's takeover.

Keegan told BBC Sport in October that he was unlikely to manage a team again.

But he returns to Newcastle, having said on Monday: "I'm not ruling myself out or in. It's a club I love, everyone knows that."

Keegan took Newcastle to promotion back to the top flight in 1993 and came close to winning the league title in the 1995-96 season when they led Manchester United by 12 points before finishing as runners up.

He went on to manage Fulham, England and Manchester City but has not managed again since leaving City.

A sign of how highly regarded Keegan is on Tyneside was reflected in a statement on the Newcastle website: "Geordie messiah to be unveiled as new United manager."

Harry Redknapp had been first choice for Ashley and chairman Chris Mort but he last week opted to stay at Portsmouth.

Shearer was also touted as a possible replacement for Allardyce, but the former captain said earlier on Wednesday that Newcastle did not want him as their next manager because he lacks experience.

Shearer said he had yet to speak to Keegan about a possible return to St James' Park, but praised his managerial record during his five-year spell.

"He is highly thought of in Newcastle and rightly so because of what he did for the club," Shearer said.

"Kevin did something special, he's a special person with special charisma."
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby destro » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:32 pm

Chris Coleman has resigned as Manager of R.S to , maybe he is going to link up with Keegan again.

Mike Ashley has obviously panicked and gone with the fans choice, time will tell if he is right
destro

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:48 pm

I have a feeling the Newcastle fans are going to be very disappointed. He just doesn't have anything like the squad that he had in his heyday.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Sean » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:09 pm

Keegan contributed enormously to our successes in the '70's.  For that alone I wish him the best of luck.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:28 pm

Good luck to him.

I personally believe he will need it.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:31 pm

Keegan being a Liverpool legend I naturally wish him well, but this looks on the surface like a desperate move on Newcastle's part. As IVOR said the squad isn't a patch on their squad from the mid 90's and I can see this ending in tears and tarnishing Keegan's legacy.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:56 pm

This is going to be some laugh...

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:35 pm

He admitted he hadn't watched a live football game since he left Man City ???
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:43 pm

destro wrote:Chris Coleman has resigned as Manager of R.S to ,

Sabre is gonna be gutted good young manager imo
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:08 am

As crazy as the toons are - this appointment is exciting for the premiership - respect Keegan always - looks like the 4-3's are back :D
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:29 am

He'll struggle for a year then walk out.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:48 am

Sean wrote:Keegan contributed enormously to our successes in the '70's.  For that alone I wish him the best of luck.

Here here, I think its great that Keegan's back, he was a legend at Liverpool, I wish him the best of luck (except against us :laugh: )
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JamCar05 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:51 am

As Lando I wish him good luck, as he's most likely going to need it. Those barcode fans are so deluded, that it is almost criminal. They'll expect big big things from Keegan, and if he doesn't seem to be able to deliver, I would definitely not put it past them to turn against him, even if he was their own dream candidate for taking over in the first place.

Anyway, best of luck Kevin (and do try to pick up a few points against the mancs please :D )
JamCar05

Postby Bermenstein » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:54 am

I am a Keegan fan, and I really hope he does well up there. Will be keeping a close eye out for the Newcastle results from now on.

It's a joy to watch on Sky the Euphoria he has Galvanised amongst the Geordies. For their sake, hopefully he is wiser now with age. He'll need to sign 2 quality centre backs straight away imo.

Good luck Keegan, except when you're up against Liverpool :p
Bermenstein
LFC Super Member

Postby Bermenstein » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:02 pm

I reckon Kenny Dalglish would have the same Euphoric effect among Lpool supporters if he was ever given the chance in the future.

An older & Wiser Kenny?...... legend.......

But sincerely, I hope Rafa is given enough time and support to see his vision through.
Bermenstein
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Premiership - General Discussion