Keegan - He's gone again

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby taff » Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:21 pm

Kev has left Man City which is good news for me as I had a bet that he wouldnt last the season.

On the other hand will the players be unsettled ie, SWP

I actually like the guy but its guaranteed that he will lose it on a regular basis
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:26 pm

he only announced on wednesday that he would be seeing out the remainder of his contract :laugh:
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:34 pm

He's cuckoo  :laugh:

Great player mind you and I cant help but like him but life is definitely a rollercoaster for him  :D
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:45 pm

I will always have fond memories of Kevin Keegan as he was one of the leading players in the Liverpool team when I started to support the club all of those years ago.

As a manager, he has an abundance of enthusiasm but is woefully short in tactics and his teams are typically attack biased but weak defensively. He did not win trophies as a manager but he saved Newcastle from dropping to the old third division and thus may have gone bust, and brought them back into the old first division in a very short time while playing attractive attacking football.

Great player but not so as a manager.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:01 pm

nice guy but a shockingly bad manager, made GH look like a genius.

I never understood why chairman gave him jobs and threw so much money at him, it seems it was just because he was a top player.

I know he won uefa in 76 but was he in European cup final in 77?
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:23 pm

He was in that game against Broussia Menchengladbach. He had a great game although he did not score and gave one terrier fo a German defender named Berti Vogts a torrid time (apart from the torrid time he was to get as the Scotland manager). I think it was his last game for Liverpool and we won 3-1.

If I am not mistaken, he was fouled and earned the penalty for Liverpool which Phil Neal scored.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ian cooper » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:24 pm

As a manager you were guaranteed good entertainment with disastrous defending but brilliant flair and goals attacking.

It's time for him to move abroad and manage in somewhere like Spain, Greece or Turkey.
ian cooper

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:27 pm

If my memory serves me right , yes , he won us the penalty .
Great fella ,maybe a bit to emotional to be a "leader" ie manager , but a liverpool legend never quite gets the recognition that Dalgliesh and Rush et al receive,but Keegan an Toshack led our assault on europe in those early glory years .
Good luck to him ,where ever he goes .
:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby azriahmad » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:33 pm

Dalglish is revered because he won titles for us as a player and also as a manager, plus he is such a great player.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:37 pm

Keegan was as well. He was a true great player.  I think he'sremembered not so fondly as Kenny cos he left and then came back to other clubs but we should never lose sight that he was up there with Kenny.

And who can forget his outburst about Man Utd  :D
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:38 pm

In actual fact, and I know I'm going to get slagged here, I think his record as manager is pretty good. What he did at Newcastle was nothing short of miraculous, only the misguided attempt to move them onto the "next level" with the signing of Asprilla cost them the Premiership title. Much was made of the famous Ferguson mind-games but Keegan was quite right, Ferguson was totally out of order with his insinuations and mutterings. He still often is. At least as significant was Newcastle hitting the woodwork twice in their crucial home-game with Manure before going on to lose 1-0. Fact remains though that he built a fantastic team, admittedly more proficient in attack than defence but a top team nonetheless.
Similarly at Fulham and Man City he has taken clubs up into the Premiership. In both cases with significant financial backing but this alone is no guarantee of success, just ask the likes of Wolves. This season at Man City they have one of the best defensive records in the Premiership and while not uprooting any trees, will be mid-table.
You've probably guessed it, I like the guy. I like his honesty, his attitude and his love for the game. I remember him well as a footballer and he was one of our finest. He's never lost the love he had for our club and in particular for the man who made him, Shanks. I for one wish him well in wherever and whatever he does.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:38 pm

azriahmad wrote:Dalglish is revered because he won titles for us as a player and also as a manager, plus he is such a great player.

I know son . I've been supportinf LFC since 1955.
My earlier reference was not to suggest Dalgliesh and Rush shouldn't be revered , more so a reminder to the many that in his time Keegan was a massive player for us ,most people forget that or perhaps weren't even fkin born when he played for us ! .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:02 pm

The way I feel today I wish I wasnt fking born when he played for us  :D
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion