Jose mourinho. - Miracle or myth.

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:28 pm

bigmick wrote:
GYBS wrote:Like has been mentioned by a few people - maureen had two big massive helping hands - Money and Inheriting Talented players . Without those he would not be anywhere near as successful as he was .

That must mean you haven't read the thread mate. I know it's a pain, but unless you do you will continue to make silly statements like that one.

It's absolutely understandable to not like the bloke, but to put all his success down to money or luck with taking over top players is simply miles off when you look at it. If you read from about page four onwards, you'll see what I mean. In the meantime, could I request that we don't smother the thread with one liners, I've put a wee bit of time into the research.

You said it yourself, really - 2 signings. If 2 signings are enough to make a team champions, then the other 9 must be there or there abouts already.

Giving a player as able as Deco a chance to shine isn't really a masterstroke, if you work from your own premise that Gerrard would have been World Class no matter who became the gaffer in 2004...

Souness not spotting it was probably more to do with his ineptitude than Moris' ability.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:35 pm

I'll do some more digging today and see if I can't get to the bottom of the Porto transformation. Was is simply that Mourinho's man management skills were able to turn a team wghich hadn't woin the title for four seasons into emphatic winners, UEFA Cup winners and Champions League winners, or did his purchases have an effect. What happened after he left? How had Deco and Beni McCarthy gone before he got there, and Carvallho. It really is very interesting when you lookat it. Even fifth in his first season at that unknown club might need some investigation. Managers who come fifth in their first season interest me.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:39 pm

There top players left after maureen went - he bought carvahlo himself and deco he went to but but he went to barce instead .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:28 pm

GYBS wrote:There top players left after maureen went - he bought carvahlo himself and deco he went to but but he went to barce instead .

They did that's right. That said, Chelsea paid as I recall 20 million quid for Carvallio (who it has to be said has turned out to be a top buy) and no doubt Barcelona paid plenty for Deco so it'd be interesting to see how they went when he left.

That said, spending lots of money is no guarantee of success as everyone knows. It's not how much but how you spend it in many cases. It's no good having a shed load of money if you don't actually improve the first team with it.

The thing which interests me most about the whole Porto thing is he took over a team which had not won the title in a while, and without spending any money to speak of won the domestic league easily twice, and the UEFA Cup and Champions League into the process. As far as his record is concerned it really is a case of the more you dig the better it gets.

I know some people are running with this idea that Mourinho actually took over a bunch of fantastic players which any muppet could have guided to glory, but I don't buy that, simply because the facts don't indicate that was the case.

If we are to disregard any managers success at a club on the grounds that there were good players there before they got there, all kinds of managers achievements would be struck off. If for instance the team you took over had reached the final of the Champions League in the two previous seasons to your arrival, does that then diminish your achievements with that club? Of course not. Porto of course hadn't done that I'm just using it as a 'for instance". In actual fact Porto hadn't qualified, and then had got knocked out in the second group stage prior to Mourinho's arrival. After his arrival in the two years he was there they won firstly the UEFA Cup and then the Champions League, as well as the domestic title twice.

You couldn't even use the rider which some do with some managers, that he just happened to come along when his domestic league was historically weak. Could it have been for instance that Benfica and Sporting Lisbon were going through a transition then, which aided Porto in breaking the Portuguese record for the highest number of points in Mourinho's first season? Possibly, I haven't looked at that yet. The thing is though, when the team also then goes on to win consecutive European competitions, it kind of puts such arguments to bed.

When assessing the managerial performance of Mourinho during that period, it's worth remembering that whether he ordered a lampshade, a table or whatever they were pretty much all second hand because he didn't spend any money.

Anyway, I'll keep digging for you mate and see if I can find anymore out.
Last edited by bigmick on Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:40 pm

bigmick wrote:
GYBS wrote:There top players left after maureen went - he bought carvahlo himself and deco he went to but but he went to barce instead .

They did that's right. That said, Chelsea paid as I recall 20 million quid for Carvallio (who it has to be said has turned out to be a top buy) and no doubt Barcelona paid plenty for Deco so it'd be interesting to see how they went when he left.

That said, spending lots of money is no guarantee of success as everyone knows. It's not how much but how you spend it in many cases. It's no good having a shed load of money if you don't actually improve the first team with it.

The thing which interests me most about the whole Porto thing is he took over a team which had not won the title in a while, and without spending any money to speak of won the domestic league easily twice, and the UEFA Cup and Champions League into the process. As far as his record is concerned it really is a case of the more you dig the better it gets.

I know some people are running with this idea that Mourinho actually took over a bunch of fantastic players which any muppet could have guided to glory, but I don't buy that, simply because the facts don't indicate that was the case.

If we are to disregard any managers success at a club on the grounds that there were good players there before they got there, all kinds of managers achievements would be struck off. If for instance the team you took over had reached the final of the Champions League in the two previous seasons to your arrival, does that then diminish your achievements with that club? Of course not. Porto of course hadn't done that I'm just using it as a 'for instance". In actual fact Porto hadn't qualified, and then had got knocked out in the second group stage prior to Mourinho's arrival. After his arrival in the two years he was there they won firstly the UEFA Cup and then the Champions League, as well as the domestic title twice.

You couldn't even use the rider which some do with some managers, that he just happened to come along when his domestic league was historically weak. Could it have been for instance that Benfica and Sporting Lisbon were going through a transition then, which aided Porto in breaking the Portuguese record for the highest number of points in Mourinho's first season? Possibly, I haven't looked at that yet. The thing is though, when the team also then goes on to win consecutive European competitions, it kind of puts such arguments to bed.

When assessing the managerial performance of Mourinho during that period, it's worth remembering that whether he ordered a lampshade, a table or whatever they were pretty much all second hand because he didn't spend any money.

Anyway, I'll keep digging for you mate and see if I can find anymore out.

If two players can make a team champions Mick it must be down to the previous manager though mate. How many Houllier players started in Istanbul, I think there where nine.  :D

Keeping on topic, I don't think there is any doubt that Mouriho gets results and gets them quickly too! Most managers have a five year plan or at least a period of building up a squad first, he just seems to come in and starts winning titles.
account deleted by request

Postby bigmick » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:48 pm

I've started to put some details together so people can judge for themselves whether the record is decent or not.

season 2000/01 Took charge of Uniaou de Leiriera. Guided them to fifth in the Portuguese top division, their best ever finish in their history.

season 2001/02. Arrived Porto mid-season with them in mid table. Guided them to third with a record of won 11, drawn 2, lost 2. Promised the title the following season and made various buys on frees and small fees. Recalled Jorge Costa who was at loan at Charlton and promoted the previously unfancied by anyone of his loan clubs Deco up from reserves.

season 2002/03. Portuguese League-Champions (reaching record points total of 85 points. Won it by 11 points from Benfica. Record of 27 wins, 5 draws, 2 defeats).
                        Portuguese Cup-winners.
                        UEFA Cup-winners (beating Celtic in the final in Seville).

season 2003/04. Portuguese League-Champions (won with 5 weeks to spare, along with a 100% Home record).
                        Portuguese SuperCup-Champions
                        Portutuguese Cup-beaten finalists.
                        European Super Cup-Beaten 1-0 by AC Milan (Shevchenko).
                        UEFA Champions League-Champions defeating Monaco 3-0 in the final (defeated Lyon, Deportivo and Manchester United on the way to the final. Lost only one match in whole tornament, against Real Madrid in group stages).

I'll come onto the Chelsea years later as i'm a bit pushed now. I know that he won the League in his first two seasons making in four consecutive domestic Championships in different countries, and I know that Chelsea hadn't won it for a while before he's got there (or since as it turned out) but I'll have to check up how long. Also, I know they won a few Cups as well while he was there so I'd like to get it nailed down. I'll come back on it.
Last edited by bigmick on Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:24 am

I haven't had too much time to get into it today, but I will. Just a quick couple of points, I said earlier that Inter had won the title for the previous three seasons before Mourinho got there which would appear to diminish his achievement should he win it this time (which of course he will). Not so apparently so sorry for the misinformation, they were AWARDED the title in two of those seasons due to a match fixing scandal. Also, I haven't checked out the winning margins but they are looking like they might win it fairly comfortably this time around, even with Kaka and Ronaldhino at AC.

Talking of points deficits, margins, record points totals and the like, I did have a look at how Porto went in the immediate aftermath of Mourinho leaving. They came second in the season after, although to be fair they did lose a couple of players. That said, they did recieve big money for those players, which presumeably they spent some of. Just goes to show once again that having big money is one thing, but it's how you spend it that counts. No use having a wadge of cash if you don't improve the first team.

Anyway in the interests of balance it's only fair to point out that Porto then sacked the manager, and they have since won the title four years running. The legacy lives on  :D but it's worth noting that in none of those years have they come anywhere near Mourinho's record points haul (85 in his forst season).

In Mourinho's second season, they cruised home with five weeks to spare and still amassed 81 points. In the immediate aftermath of Mourinho moving on (the following season) they reached 62 points. 19 less than his last season, and 23 less than his record haul. They also went out in the group stages of the Champions League.

They then sacked the manager, and won the league with 79 points the following season which was an excellent effort. They did though once again go out int eh group stages of the Champions League.

In the following season (o6/07) it appears that they reduced the number of teams from 18 to 16, meaning obviously that teams play four less matches. They won it in both 06/07 and 07/08 and on both occasions amassed 69 points. In both cases, even winning all of their remaining four matches would still have left them short of Mourinho's total. Also, in both cases (and indeed since Mourinho left) they haven't got past the group stages of the Champions League, despite having considerably more money to spend in the transfer market than Mourinho ever did.

Another interesting thought. If he should win the title with Inter this season, he would have won the title at the first time of asking in three different countries, consecutively. I am fairly sure that this must be a first, but there is more. He broke the points record in Portugal in his first season and it still stands. He broke the points record in England in his first season and it still stands. I must check out how Inter are going, because if they were to break the points record then that would indeed be something. To be holding the record for the maximum number of points in three countries consecutively, and all achieved at the first time of asking.

In many ways, the doubts that people have expressed have been extremely helpful, as they have caused me to dig ever deeper in my quest for the truth. I did ask at the start whether he was miracle or myth, and at this moment in time despite myself I am leading towards the former. I will though continue digging and report back any further findings.
Last edited by bigmick on Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:43 am

you should know by now BigMick that some posters spend their life questioning questions. if money is such a big deal, why didnt Porto have european success after Jose left despite receiving:

€12mil + Queresma for Deco
€19.85mil for Carvalho
€13.2mil for Ferreira

Paulo was a right sided midfielder until Jose bought him for Porto and converted him to a right back. Maniche, Nuno Valente, Bosingwa, Raul Meireles. so thats 5 players Mourinho bought for their ECL winning campaign. and those who think Mourinho does not have hindsight do refer to Ferreira.
------------

and just for all of you, here's a direct quote:

Whilst still at FCP, Mourinho was linked with several top European clubs, including Liverpool, Real Madrid and Chelsea. Mourinho publicly stated his preference for the Liverpool job over the Chelsea one. He said: "Liverpool are a team that interests everyone and Chelsea does not interest me so much because it is a new project with lots of money invested in it. I think it is a project which, if the club fail to win everything, then Abramovich could retire and take the money out of the club. It's an uncertain project. It is interesting for a coach to have the money to hire quality players but you never know if a project like this will bring success."

so LFC was a more attractive option surely Parry must have screwed up the deal or he heard some yanks were coming to town?
------------

Jose's individual honors:
UEFA Manager of the Year (2): 2002/03, 2003/04
World Soccer Magazine Coach of the Year (2): 2003/04, 2004/05
BBC Sports Personality of Year Coach Award: 2004/05
FA Premier League Manager of the Year (2): 2004/05, 2005/06
IFFHS World Manager of the Year (2): 2004, 2005

what has Rafa won?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby bigmick » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:51 am

maypaxvobiscum wrote:what has Rafa won?

In fairness Maxi I don't want to get into comparisons or the thread will disappear into nonsense. I've tried to dig simply into Mourinho's record. The reason for that, is so many people post on here that he's only ever bought honours, he's "dropped on" and the rest I decided to find out for myself. It's not about comparing him to anyone else, I was just interested.

What really set me off was when somebody decided to put up a poll on who should replace Rafa. I didn't vote in that as I think it's a bit disrespectful, but the "others" colomn got a stack of votes. Now as GYBS has consistently rubbished Mourinho's achievements I figured that that must be the reason he didn't even make it into the top eight options.

I thought it best I found out for myself whether it was hype or there actually was something to him, simple as that really. Having looked at his record, if anyone is interested enough to read the thread they can make their own mind up  :cool:
Last edited by bigmick on Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:56 am

i didnt wanna vote either as i was disgusted by his bias in excluding Mourinho. amazing isnt it you can forget someone with his record yet have Sammy Lee in there.
but then i saw ''any others'' option :laugh:
i honestly dont think its hype especially since you have stated how he has standing records in England and Portugal. i never knew that. its amazing though.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby bigmick » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:30 am

Ah so you voted then? I couldn't bring meself to do it. Seems like a lot did though, and I'm assuming that the "others" column probably meant Mourinho but of course you can't be sure as he wasn't in the poll   :) .
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bam » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:33 am

If two players can make a team champions Mick it must be down to the previous manager though mate. How many Houllier players started in Istanbul, I think there where nine.

Good call Saint :D

Mourinho is a p.rick of a bloke but undoubtley a World class manager.

Anyone who thinks otherwise about him being a good manager, not only proves they dont know what their talking about. But also proves their a complete and utter feckwit.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:58 am

Funnily enough Bam, now there's been a bit of digging into Mourinho's record and some facts regarding his achievements as opposed to accepted fallacies, it might be interesting to see whether people are prepared to give him more credit than they did previously. I see that Bob did, as has Sabre in the light of his ongoing success in Italy.

For my part I'm fully prepared to hold my hands up on Mourinho and admit I was wrong about him. I didn't give him the credit he was due, and really looking at his record it absolutely glaringly obvious that he is indeed a fantastic manager. I wonder if everyone was previously aware of how good his record was, or whether they have been surprised by it as well.

He's definately an interesting case. If Rafa does leave and we do another poll of who could possibly replace him, I'd suggest putting Mourinho in it anyway, that's for sure.
Last edited by bigmick on Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:00 pm

Anyone who says that Mourinho isnt a top manager is talking out of there backsides, the acheivments he has had in the game are quite brilliant and something that just a decent manager could never acheive, he deserves recognition for what he has done, especially at Porto. However having said that i do think he is overated and if Rafa was to go he would not be my choice as a replacement for a few reasons.

Firstly tactically he is good but lacks ideas when games need changing, something Rafa excels in especially in the champions league.

Secondly when Abramovich but a cap on spending in his final season, Mourhino was found wanting when having to shop at the lower end of the market, something he would have to get used to at a club like Liverpool. Signings like Pizzaro, Kezman, Kalou, Ben Haim, Balletti, Sidwell, Tiago, Jarosik, Del Horno and Boulharouz were all poor to average players, leaving me to beleive he might struggle with a tight budget at a club like Liverpool. Though some would argue that he made excellent cheap signings at Porto, the likes of Benni Mcarthy, Maniche and Ferreria were bought for a pitance.

And third he is a total C.U.N.T piece and needs a good slap.

Overall i would say he is an excellent manager, but not the footaballing god that the press make out.
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:05 pm

A great manager but I prefer Benitez simple as to be honest
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion