Jose mourinho. - Miracle or myth.

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:17 pm

taff wrote:A great manager but I prefer Benitez simple as to be honest

yeah me too, Mourhino is a complete :censored: and i just dont like the guy. Rafa is a top man, loves the club, loves the fans and is also a top coach, wish he wasnt so stubborn though and didnt think to tactically against the likes of Stoke and Fulham! i also love his ice cold demeanour on the touchline always plays it cool when we score a goal, love that he looks some mafia boss.  :D
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:35 pm

Thought I'd briefly come back to Mourinho's attempt to hold the winning points total in three seperate countries at the same time. As we know, he holds the record in Portugal having won the title twice in two seasons with Porto as well as the Champions League and the UEFA Cup. In his first season there, he led them to a total of 85 points which still stands to this day, and that's even allowing maximum points for any missed games due to the reduction in the league numbers.

At Chelsea as we know in his first season he led them to a total of 95 points. That may never be beaten but we'll see. So that's two countries in which he holds the record for the highest points totals.

Now in his first season oin Italy, he is 7 points clear with Inter Milan but can he beat the record? Well it's going to be very tough. Inter actually made it to 97 points the season before last, in the season when some of their closest rivals were relegated for match fixing. It's hard to really get to the bottom of that total but I'll keep digging. Anyway, now all the top clubs are back involved in the league again (indeed Juventus are second) Inter have 53 points from 23 matches. Much like in England there are 15 games to go, and even if Inter won every match from here on in they'd still only get to 98 points. I simply can't see it, particularly as they don't have a serious rival for the title.

What might work in their favour as far as the league is concerned is that they've drawn Man Utd in the Champions League. Now we know that on the other occasion Mourinho ran into them in the Champions League he put Man Utd out on the way to winning the final 3-0 (that was the year Benfica put us out I think). I think that this time though it's probably going to be too hard now Man Utd are into form, and my suspicion is time will be called on their European exploits at the hands of Fergies men.

I guess then they'll be able to concentrate on that record and the quest to hold the record points total in three seperate countries at the same time. It'll certainly be some achievement if he can do it. I'll keep everyone posted on how he gets on with it.
Last edited by bigmick on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:41 pm

Porto won the CL in 04 - we werent in the CL that year . Benfice knocked us out 05-06 season
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:45 pm

GYBS wrote:Porto won the CL in 04 - we werent in the CL that year . Benfice knocked us out 05-06 season

Ah you're right sorry about that. Looks like I'll have to do some more digging to get to the bottom of it all. Good ol' GYBS keeping me honest. I'll come back to you on it mate.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:47 pm

Very good manager , but shouldn't be allowed any where near LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB . He is one of the most horrible ,self obsessed ,egotistcal ,ubertw@ts ,that the Devil put on the face of this earth . It would be a marriage made in hell . HICKS ,GILLETT AND MOURINHO . Say tarra to any dignity that Liverpool has left .
Last edited by Igor Zidane on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:48 pm

Porton knocked out man utd in the quarters wiht a last minute goal which sparked maureens run up the touchline and then ran of the pitch without shaking hands they then went onto bet la coruna who pulled off a massive shock against AC Milan in the quarters then played monaco who beat chelsea in the semi after raneri messed up .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:56 pm

GYBS wrote:Porton knocked out man utd in the quarters wiht a last minute goal which sparked maureens run up the touchline and then ran of the pitch without shaking hands they then went onto bet la coruna who pulled off a massive shock against AC Milan in the quarters then played monaco who beat chelsea in the semi after raneri messed up .

Yes I've put the Champions League win up earlier mate. Just to reiterate, on the way to the final they beat Lyon, Manchester United and Deportive. As you say they beat Monaco in the final (who had beaten Chelsea "because Ranieri fecked it up"  :laugh: ). They won the final 3-0.

A couple of points. Firstly on their late goal against man Utd, they still count as far as I'm aware, and thank God they do when you look at our last match.

Secondly, they only lost once in the entire campaign, against Real Madrid in the group stages. Now you metion it, I must go back and check their results from the UEFA Cup in the previous season.

I know they won that as well, but it might be interesting to see if they lost any matches there either. I suppose if you add all the matches he had at Porto in Europe, despite having a squad built for peanuts the win/loss/draw ratio in Europe would be quite impressive. I'll check it out for you mate.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:00 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:Very good manager , but shouldn't be allowed any where near LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB . He is one of the most horrible ,self obsessed ,egotistcal ,ubertw@ts ,that the Devil put on the face of this earth . It would be a marriage made in hell . HICKS ,GILLETT AND MOURINHO . Say tarra to any dignity that Liverpool has left .

:nod
Bang on
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:05 pm

GYBS wrote:Porton knocked out man utd in the quarters wiht a last minute goal which sparked maureens run up the touchline and then ran of the pitch without shaking hands they then went onto bet la coruna who pulled off a massive shock against AC Milan in the quarters then played monaco who beat chelsea in the semi after raneri messed up .

Purely from a debating perspective, mate, I can see little advantage to downplaying Mourinho's achievement in steering Porto to Champions League success given how often we have to hear about lucky, lucky Liverpool in relation to the march to, and that night in, Istanbul.  Surely, we can't have it both ways? ???
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby GYBS » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:07 pm

not down playing it mate - he did very well winning the cl - not going to deny that . but will always rate Rafas success over his .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:09 pm

GYBS wrote:not down playing it mate - he did very well winning the cl - not going to deny that . but will always rate Rafas success over his .

As do I...after all, Rafa did it with Liverpool!  :cool:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby GYBS » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:11 pm

not just that - the teams they beat they way they did it - the sqaud he did it with .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:28 pm

GYBS wrote:not just that - the teams they beat they way they did it - the sqaud he did it with .

But the "teams they beat" doesn't come into it surely. They can only beat who they draw, and besides Man Utd, Monaco, Lyon, Deportivo, Real Madrid etc are not really minnows. The way they did it I'll give you that one, 3-0 in the final is unheard of in Champions League terms.

If we start rating success though based on the "way you won it" or "the teams you beat" it's a slippery slope. Before you know where you are, if we were to win the title this season people will be downplaying it based on the fact (and I think we can accept it as a fact now) that Arsenal and Chelsea are weaker than they were in previous seasons. If we win the league, we win the league. It doesn't matter how strong the opposition is.

Is that what you're trying to say GYBS, that you are belittling our achivements this season   ??? After starting a poll on who should replace the manager while he's still here,  now this    :no
Last edited by bigmick on Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:40 pm

On the question of Ranieri which GYBS brought up, he makes an excellent point not for the first time on this thread. Many people put Chelseas defeat against Monaco squarly at the feet of the Italian. I remember that period well. People just couldn't understand how a team which had untold riches, a massive squad, the pick of any players they wanted etc couldn't win titles. They finished on 79 points in Ranieri's last season, 11 points behind Arsenal who had a tiny squad in comparison.

They used to call Ranieri the "tinkerman" at Chelsea on account of the amount of players he used to change from match to match. It was to "keep them fresh" by all accounts, and to "make tactical adjustments to take into account the opposition". It worked sometimes too. He was also prone to some really bizarre susstitutions, some of which came off and some which didn't. I liked him though Ranieri, how we all laughed at his little eccentricities.

Anyway, before I allow GYBS to derail me onto Ranieri, this thread and this thread alone, is about Mourinho and his quest for that record. Record points totals in three seperate countries at the same time, it'll take some doing.
Last edited by bigmick on Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:47 pm

Is that what you're trying to say GYBS, that you are belittling our achivements this season    After starting a poll on who should replace the manager while he's still here,  now this     

i think its time to leave you to your own little world now - enjoy yourself .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion