Interesting article on wayne rooney

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:56 pm

While we all participate in endless debates about our strikers, one thing that is rarely mentioned is why Rooney has never played for us.

We all love to mock him … “Shrek” … “Elephant Boy” … “Granny Lover” … the list is endless. Love him or hate him, you can’t argue that he’s a stellar talent and the most talented player the city of Liverpool has produced since Stevie Gerrard. But putting all that aside, why did Rooney join the mancs and not us?

You see, I have a BIG problem with a Scouser playing for the mancs in the same way as, God forbid, one of their lot would ever play for us. It’s bad enough (and rare enough) when a player ever makes the jump between our clubs … but it’s 10 times worse when that player is home-grown. Ok, so one of the ugly sisters joined the blueshite, but that doesn’t count because they’re only our feeder club.

But Rooney could have been playing for us years ago. After all, he did have a trial with us when he was still in nappies, but the cheeky :censored: turned up wearing a blueshite shirt. But you only have to look at our first team now to see that both God & Carra were blueshite supporters before they knew any better… . O**n (sorry, I’ve been banned from saying his name any more) and McManaman were the same … so it’s perfectly feasible that Rooney could have been playing for us. Sure he hates us now, but when he signed for the mancs he was clearly desperate to leave woodison park and the mancs were the only ones who could afford him. That last point is the real reason why Rooney is playing for the mancs – because we are still financially light years behind the mancs – or at least we WERE until Glazer bougth them and then plunged them 500mill into debt.

Rooney’s not the only one though … latest reports are that the mancs are interested in buying Kevin Nolan. To those who don’t know, Nolan used to be a Liverpool Academy player. In hindsight, letting him go could have been a big mistake, but some players don’t show their true class until they are older.

Joey Barton is another player who seems to be a late bloomer … although we do have a chance of signing him in the summer because he’s stalling on a new contract with Man City. For me, Barton would be a great signing as he’s got passion and skill in equal measures and he’s really stood out in City’s squad this year.

Now, there are some people – there really are – who will be reading this blog and thinking that I’m living in the past and that these days there really are no borders (either national or regional) when it comes to clubs buying players. After all, don’t the :censored: often field teams without a single British player…? How come, if England have always been such fierce rivals with Germany do players like Hamann play for us? But these people are missing the point and like most Reds, I’m not falling for that politically correct mumbo jumbo :censored:. The mancs will always be our fiercest rivals and any player who ever makes the jump between our clubs or cities can, and most probably will, be subjected to abuse by rival supporters. End of.

Ok, so Rooney will never sign for LFC, but maybe the future is not so bad on the home-grown front… I’m going to leave you with one final thought…You may or may not have read that Liverpool hospitals are bracing themselves for a record number of births over the coming weeks. You see, the joy that all of us Reds felt last May seems to have spilled over into the bedroom and hence there are loads of baby Reds about to be born. I wonder how many LFC stars of the future are about to enter the world and we can all look forward in 20 years time to a new generation of home-grown star players.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion