Fowler

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Callaghan » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:15 pm

Playing well and with the right service he could score many goals for Liverpool.  Buy British Rafa!
Callaghan

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:17 pm

a one line topic, brilliant. :O
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenc » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:20 pm

I heard the Fowler on loan rumour this morning. Can't see it happening to be honest. We need to look forward not back. Robbie will always be "GOD" but we need a guy like Morientes. Someone who can offer a bit more than just goals. Remember that at Valencia Rafa had a few strikers he rotated and that none of them were 30 goals a season strikers. Expect similar style of forwards to be brought in this window and the next. With Gerrard slowly but surely making the "Free Role" his own.
Kenc

Postby The_Rock » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:34 pm

i would like fowler to come back only for the blue sh1t game....  :D. Just imagine if he did the smack head celebration again against the sh1t fans..... priceless  :p
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:24 pm

I can see it now, 80th min pen against the bluesh1t3 and we make a sub, yup it's Fowler, guess what happens next :;):
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:38 pm

Kenc wrote:I heard the Fowler on loan rumour this morning. Can't see it happening to be honest. We need to look forward not back. Robbie will always be "GOD" but we need a guy like Morientes. Someone who can offer a bit more than just goals.

I wish I had stats to hand on the number of assists Fowler has made this season. Even at his very best, Robbie was so much more than a finisher - he knew when to be selfish, but he's always had enough about him to pick out a man in a better shooting position.

On his current form, I think he's actually starting to get himself back into the England reckoning.

Owen
Rooney
Defoe
Smith

Beyond those four, you've got a pool of inconsistent players like Heskey and Vassell, untried talent in the form of Andy Johnson, and for me Fowler's current form puts him well in the frame with the likes of those three. Sven's always shown that he's willing to pick players in form, and - laugh at it all you want - Robbie's certainly that.
ivor_the_injun

Postby The_Rock » Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:43 pm

yeah saw the game man city vs WBA. Fowler was running here, there & everywhere. Seems like his fitness is improving.

If he is really coming here, i would be happy  :D
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenc » Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:53 pm

DOnt get me wrong i'm not dissing Robbie here, i never would, the guy is a liverpool legend. But he is and always will be a natural predator. Now there is nothing wrong with that, in fact it's the one thing arsenal and Chelski lack, but he's not what we need right now. He was never the guy holding up the ball, he was the guy making the unreal run off the all. We need someone who'll bring the midfielders into attacking positions. Someone like a Mista or Morientes, with a big body capable of holding off defenders. Robbie is a legend but his time has gone. Taking him back would be a foolish mistake. And anyway if he's on such good form there's no way Keegan would let him go right?!?

Btw if he get's back into the England squad i'll honest to god eat my boxers! And on form surely it'd be Heskey. 4 in 3 now.
Kenc

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:17 pm

i`d sell the stadium to finance a deal if i thought the robbie fowler of the mid nineties was to come back, but in reality that robbie fowler who scored a hat trick against arsenal in five minutes and five goals against fulham is where he belongs.....in the mid nineties.
robbie`s form has improved lately but he`s nowhere near the player he was, as someone has already mentioned we need to look forward not back.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby Paul C » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:40 pm

I don't care, if we could get Fowler on the cheap (£1m) I'd have him back tomorrow :cool:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:02 pm

yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:i`d sell the stadium to finance a deal if i thought the robbie fowler of the mid nineties was to come back, but in reality that robbie fowler who scored a hat trick against arsenal in five minutes and five goals against fulham is where he belongs.....in the mid nineties.
robbie`s form has improved lately but he`s nowhere near the player he was, as someone has already mentioned we need to look forward not back.

This "look forward not back" attitude that many users here have puzzles me. To be honest, I'd have the Fowler of the mid-90s in my team ahead of any player you'd care to name, but that doesn't mean that the Fowler of today isn't well worth having.

The point's been made about a Morientes-style player having the frame and ability to give the midfield time to get forward and link up. This I do not dispute - we need a player in that mould. However, with constant question marks over Baros' ability to get through a season without being injured at least twice, this brings the whole point about needing 4 quality strikers into the equation. For me, we currently have three (currently fit) strikers that I'd trust on a temporary basis to do a job for us in Baros, Mellor and Pongolle. However, we need tried and tested players that we know can last the pace over a whole season, and for me the fact that Mellor and Pongolle are untested over such a period, not to mention Baros' injury history, lead me to believe that there is in fact room for five strikers at the club.

So, I give you my five striker plan for January:

Morientes
Baros
Fowler
Mellor
Pongolle

If Baros misses a game, bring in Fowler. If Morientes misses a game, bring in Mellor. Pongolle's done well when we've needed him, but not enough to justify a regular start ahead of Mellor or Baros, so he's a potential supersub for me until he starts making himself undroppable.
ivor_the_injun

Postby mrcool2003 » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:14 pm

give it up, fowler isn't coming and he isn't a player i want to have, hes past his best
mrcool2003
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Callaghan » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:37 pm

He would be the finished article if we had him back, he would take the young strikers under his wing just like The Master Rush did.
Callaghan

Postby bigmick » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:57 pm

Ivor has been championing the case of Robbie for some time now. Anybody lucky enough to have seen him at his very best will always have a place in their hearts for our wayward son. Like the hurricane at the snooker, Botham at the cricket or Bobby Fisher at the chess ( go with me here I'm on a roll ) the tortured genius that was Fowler was always more appealing than the monotone tea-total of an Owen or a Steve Davis or some Russian who was good at chess (alas I used all my chess knowledge up with that Fisher bloke). The romantics amongst us (ignore the wife, its friends she's laughing at) would give him a go if he came back. When was the last time you watched a game of football and felt so happy you could blub? The return of robbie could do it for for me. A step backwards? maybe, but so is watching Oliver on the box every Crimbo. Still does it for me every time, after me "consider yourself, at home. consider yourself one of the family".
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:01 pm

absolutely beautifully put bigmick.

and it was boris spassky.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Premiership - General Discussion