Edgar davids going to tottenham - They are looking alright to be honest!

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby 76-1115222408 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:21 pm

Saw earlier that Tottenham are going to get Davids. I didnt here any figures as to price etc; but I have to say i watched them the other day (Sat on Sky) and they looked quite decent, there passing was quick and decisive. And Mido (who I thought they were getting rid of!!??) looked especially impressive.

I think this is a good buy (for them) because they have many good young players that will be able to learn off a world class (former?) central midfielder.
I think he will fit in well in the premier league, as he is a bit of a warhorse.

Anyone got any figures about the deal ie; transfer fee (if there is one) and wages!!

I think Tottenham could be this seasons 'Everton' if you know what I mean!!!
Last edited by 76-1115222408 on Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
76-1115222408

Postby Dalglish » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:01 am

On the surface it would appear to be a decent purchase but look beneath the hype and Spurs are getting an ageing midfielder well below the high standards he has attained in the past and a player who is notoriously fickle when things are not going his way.

Time will tell I suppose what Spurs do this season but I am inclined to agree that they may well be there or there abouts at the higher end of the table.

They have a quality manager as well who they just managed to keep hold of last season when Ajax came a calling but I'm not sure he wil still be there in 12 months as another Dutch style offer may be too tempting to resist.
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 76-1115222408 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:22 am

Couldnt agree more, he has not had a good spell since he was taken to the Camp Nou last January ('04) and even then it was only for a few months. But he has turned into somewhat of a mercenary in recent times, and to be honest being in poor form and being a mercenary is not the best combination is it!!!

However, for some reason I think we will see a lot of battling performances from him, with less emphasis on his skill (as used to be the case when he was younger!) and a good few red cards too!!!  :laugh:

Again though i think in the short term he will be good for guys like Marney (sp?) and Routledge aswell as Davies et al the oppurtunity to watch a PAST dutch master in training etc;
I think Tottenham defo could be a force, thier squad is deep now and there is quite a bit of quality there, especially in the final third.

does anyone know what they are doing with Mido though?? I thought he was having his 18 month loan deal cancelled, or was that just paper talk??  Maybe Roma just cant afford to have him back on the books at the moment, either way he looked REALLY good the other day and set-up TWO goals for Keane, with two great crosses from out wide.
76-1115222408

Postby MCYan » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:24 am

Spurs signed Davids on a free transfer.

http://www.sportal.com.au/soccer.asp?i=news&id=68870
MCYan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 76-1115222408 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:28 am

Thanks for the link McYan.....
76-1115222408

Postby Dalglish » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:33 am

I think Carrick's return to favour since Jol's appointment has been instrumental in Spurs revival towards the end of last season and I expect him to be "key" to their aspirations this season. With Davids alongside putting the "foot in" as you so eloquently said they do look a decent outfit. However Spurs sometimes lack the necessary staying power but I wouldn;t be surprised to see them do well in one of the cups.
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 76-1115222408 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:43 am

Yea Tottenham are like Spain really are'nt they...Always have quality, but somehow always manage to flatter to deceive!
Carrick, I completely forgot about him, another quality player they have in the aquad, and you are right dalglish, when he came back in after Christmas (roughly) he did change the way they played, the passing from the centre was good and he created an 'uptempo' style to their play.

Also agree about the cup too, they may definetly push for fifth and a Uefa cup place I think, if they dont get that then they should be disappointed TBH...Only team that may seriously test them (on paper of course, there is always one freak team...ie; Sunderland, Fulham, Everton etc; up there) is Middlesborough!!

I think this is going to be an exciting season all round, not just concerning Liverpool...I for one cant wait for it to get underway!!
:D
76-1115222408

Postby A.B. » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:56 am

does anyone know what they are doing with Mido though?? I thought he was having his 18 month loan deal cancelled, or was that just paper talk??  Maybe Roma just cant afford to have him back on the books at the moment, either way he looked REALLY good the other day and set-up TWO goals for Keane, with two great crosses from out wide.

I don't think Roma can get Mido back because of the ban, they are not allowed to get any players for a year.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby looprevil » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:55 am

I think he'll have a decent start but fade as the season goes on.  I hope I'm wrong though cause I've always liked watching him play.  Works hard plays tough and has good skill should be a winning combo in the prem.  Too bad he didn't come over earlier in his career.
looprevil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mini Matrix » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:23 pm

Davids is a class act and although he is 32 he still has 2 good years in him, he is going to be a Gerrard, Keane, viera style player for them which can only be good. There other signing tainio looks very good run the show against porto. I agree they could scrape 4th place.
Mini Matrix

Postby A.B. » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:52 pm

Davids already injured and likely to miss two weeks of action.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby looprevil » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:46 pm

Injured already?  well I doubt he'll do much now.  He was dropped by Barca and AC so... that must say they doubt his quality.
looprevil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion