Arteta for england - Ha ha

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby NANNY RED » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:17 pm

I was in bulk reading this in the echo.

Everton fans launch Mikel Arteta for England campaign
Oct 13 2008 by David Prentice, Liverpool Echo

A GROUP of Everton fans have launched a campaign to win Mikel Arteta an international call-up . . . for England!

The Blues midfielder has regularly won Player of the Year awards since moving to Goodison from Glasgow Rangers in January 2005.

But his high class performances have never earned him a single call-up to Spain’s squad.

Now a group of Evertonians have taken matters into their own hands.

A hard core of fans have started a “Mikel Arteta for England” campaign on the internet, with more than a hundred already adding their names to the list.

Arteta qualifies for England early in 2010 under the five-year residency rule, when he would be eligible for England’s build up to a hoped-for World Cup finals appearance.

Portuguese playmaker Deco is a high profile beneficiary of the rule, the Brazilian winning 56 caps for his adopted country, while Arsenal keeper Manuel Almunia is also hoping to take advantage of the system.

Arteta has to remain uncapped by his native country in order to qualify, but with the Spanish midfield currently consisting of Xavi, Andres Iniesta, Cesc Fabregas, Xabi Alonso, Marcos Senna and David Silva, that situation looks likely to continue.

Arteta has regularly been linked with a return back to Spain, which would undoubtedly boost his chances of an international call.

But he has stayed loyal to the Blues with the faithful now wanting his commitment to the club rewarded.

An Everton spokesman said: “This campaign was started by one supporter who believes that if Spain don’t want Mikel then we in England do.

“So far this fan has been joined by more than a hundred other supporters and the campaign list is growing by the day.”

daveprentice@liverpoolecho.co.uk
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:23 pm

I hate stuff like this no matter how good the player its just a joke.

Arteta would probably be decent but he is not english, the 5 year residency rule is a joke, and Almunia  ???
I know we are hard up for keepers but is it THAT bad ?

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:07 am

I'm sorry but i really feel for arterta . He's a good player and when you play for skall clubs you tend to get overlooked . Emile heskey is one example when he was with liverpool he and owen we the preferred forward pairing upfront and after he left us , he was not called up again up until recently . As for mikel , the spain midfield is too crowded so i doubt he will ever be called up unless they are excessive injuries , it'd be good to have mikel playing for england no matter who screwed up it may seem , he can replace the void left by beckham
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:49 am

Despite him being a basque, I think Arteta has quite a Spanish feeling, he clashed if I was informed correctly with a couple of nationalist players back in Real Sociedad.

I think he's a good player, I even would like to have him as Right Midfielder here, but I think that he can't dream of playing for Spain.

What Toffeehater says is true, when you play for a small club like Everton is very difficult. Alonso was international back when he was in Real Sociedad, but normally you have to be in a top club.

If he decides to play for England, *shrug*, anyone is free to apply for a new nationality or a double one, I guess.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:18 am

I think he's a class act on the pitch!
Sad that he's wasting his career at Everton and did so at Rangers before that.IMO he could be playing at a bigger club cause he is good enough!
As for Everton fans wanting him for England! :laugh:
I doubt it will ever happen,its a pipe dream!They must have got bored of their "Osman for england campaign"!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:47 pm

The thing is with arterta he's inconsistent , just like any of our right players bar gerrard .
He performs well for one game and than disappears for the next three . He's set pieces are good at times but there are even occasions more often than usual that he hits the first man in freekicks and corners . He can pick out his man and can cross the ball well , would like him here and yes i think what barry has said is true he's wasting his career and chance to get called up by the spain squad at everton who have been :censored: poor and even their standout performers have been made to look that way .
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:51 pm

Sabre wrote:Despite him being a basque, I think Arteta has quite a Spanish feeling, he clashed if I was informed correctly with a couple of nationalist players back in Real Sociedad.

I think he's a good player, I even would like to have him as Right Midfielder here, but I think that he can't dream of playing for Spain.

What Toffeehater says is true, when you play for a small club like Everton is very difficult. Alonso was international back when he was in Real Sociedad, but normally you have to be in a top club.

If he decides to play for England, *shrug*, anyone is free to apply for a new nationality or a double one, I guess.

do you think Spain would have won Euro 2008 without Senna?
JoeTerp

Postby Sabre » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:56 pm

JoeTerp wrote:
Sabre wrote:Despite him being a basque, I think Arteta has quite a Spanish feeling, he clashed if I was informed correctly with a couple of nationalist players back in Real Sociedad.

I don't know if Spain would have won it without any of the players who played one minute.

Because an action can change the whole game, and the fate.

But if your question is if that a Spain would hae been weaker with Alonso, I'd say no. In fact, Del Bosque seems to prefer Xabi.

Of course, all must be said to be fair, Senna did a very impressive tournament

P.S. If your question is related to Senna's Brazilian roots, we never had a debate about that, people have the right to apply for a nationality. Although for instance it would be seen as a farce, to buy a nationality in order to get an international. Senna applied for the nationality before his best form and in fact it was a surprise that he was summoned.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:54 pm

i think the world is truly global. things move on, and the residency rule is ok with me. i mean if the do-gooders had their way, no black man would play for england, as their ancestors are african, regardless of country of birth
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:14 pm

Sabre wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:

I don't know if Spain would have won it without any of the players who played one minute.

Because an action can change the whole game, and the fate.

But if your question is if that a Spain would hae been weaker with Alonso, I'd say no. In fact, Del Bosque seems to prefer Xabi.

Of course, all must be said to be fair, Senna did a very impressive tournament

P.S. If your question is related to Senna's Brazilian roots, we never had a debate about that, people have the right to apply for a nationality. Although for instance it would be seen as a farce, to buy a nationality in order to get an international. Senna applied for the nationality before his best form and in fact it was a surprise that he was summoned.

it was mostly about him being Brazilian.

I think its interesting what he must have added to the dynamic to the team. I think I remember you saying there is traditionally a lot of tention between nationalists and people with other political views and whether there are enough or too many Madridistas.  I would think bringing in and accepting a Brazilian born player would make holding grudges against Catalan or Basque players seem silly.
JoeTerp

Postby Sabre » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:11 pm

I wouldn't say there have been problems of that kind. All the basque players that have gone to Spain have gone there happily (Zubizarreta, Alkorta, Alonso, Etxeberria, etc). I only know one professional player that said he would refuse to go the national squad, and he wasn't good enough.

At times, there have been cliques of Madridistas, players with ego etc. At times we have Marca making campaigns in order a Madrid player goes to the squad, and things like that. But nothing related to nationalism. It's true that a through and through nationalist may clash, but normally these people are a minority.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:17 pm

Toffeehater wrote:The thing is with arterta he's inconsistent , just like any of our right players bar gerrard .
He performs well for one game and than disappears for the next three . He's set pieces are good at times but there are even occasions more often than usual that he hits the first man in freekicks and corners . He can pick out his man and can cross the ball well , would like him here and yes i think what barry has said is true he's wasting his career and chance to get called up by the spain squad at everton who have been :censored: poor and even their standout performers have been made to look that way .

Dont agree with that one bit mate apart from the bit when you agree with me! :D
I dont see enough of Everton to know for a fact but from what I do see I think its unfair to call him inconsistant and to say he plays well one game and goes missing for three.
I see a very intelligent footballer when I watch him,his passing is superb and he can beat a man no bother.He plays it simple when needed but also has the ability to create things himself!
Maybe you are mistaking the fact he's surrounded by mediocracy,players that are not on a par with him and fail to read his game for inconsistancy?
Just a thought...but personally i feel he's very under rated and should be doing more with his career!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:18 pm

IMO it's a farce if Arteta, Almunia or anyone else with no English connection gets a call up.  I don't think it will ever happen anyway.

On Arteta though, I say give him one more season of mediocrity at Everton (or worse the way they're going at the moment), then stick a bid in for him in the summer.  I honestly think this player would be a good solution for right midfield for us.  With the Spanish contingent already here, it would be enough to get him to switch loyalties I reckon.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:23 pm

Spanish contingent? he'd only need a wink to change loyalties :D
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:24 pm

Arteta is probably just as "English" and Owen Hargreaves (born in Canada, played most his career in Germany, FFS according to UEFA Champions roster rules, Fabregas is "English" and Hargreaves is "German")
JoeTerp

Next

Return to Premiership - General Discussion