Andy Carroll signs for West Ham

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby devaney » Sat May 05, 2012 7:28 pm

Walk away with your head held high today Andy. You were a powerhouse in the last thirty minutes. Keep it up. The stuff around you has got to change in the summer. Spearing, Enrique, Henderson and Downing are all serious question marks?
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat May 05, 2012 7:30 pm

7_Kewell » Sat May 05, 2012 6:15 pm wrote:thought Andy was outstanding today, top class and should have started.

it takes some doing for one player to come on and totally change the game against a side as good as chelsea. carroll was magnificent, thats one of the best cameo performances in a big game that i`ve ever seen from a sub in a red shirt in all my years of watching us. he didnt just come on and score a goal he changed the whole momentum of the game. terry and ivanovic are as big and strong a pair of centre halves that you get but he had them reeling.
the way he tracked back as well......pity everyone else wasnt as up for it as much as andy.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby metalhead » Sat May 05, 2012 7:30 pm

devaney » Sat May 05, 2012 6:28 pm wrote:Walk away with your head held high today Andy. You were a powerhouse in the last thirty minutes. Keep it up. The stuff around you has got to change in the summer. Spearing, Enrique, Henderson and Downing are all serious question marks?

You know it made me think if Carroll had better players around him he would do much better.

Immense and my MOTM when he came on, lifted our spirits and almost got a brace as well. He looked so confident and that's the Andy I want to see.

Let's hope we keep him and let's hope he carry on his form for next season.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Sat May 05, 2012 7:37 pm

Suarez and him did well today.  Suarez's perfectly lifted ball to the back post.. They played off each other so well.  When Carroll came on we finally got Suarez involved as well, it opened up so much for him.  Easy MOTM for me, no question about it.  Best player on either team today by a country mile.  So unlucky not to get that ball to drop in. 

He looked like a player we spent 35 million on, and felt we got a good deal today.  Keep that up Andy and you're gonna score a lot of goals for Liverpool next season.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat May 05, 2012 7:47 pm

ethanr » Sat May 05, 2012 6:37 pm wrote:Suarez and him did well today.  Suarez's perfectly lifted ball to the back post.. They played off each other so well.  When Carroll came on we finally got Suarez involved as well, it opened up so much for him.  Easy MOTM for me, no question about it.  Best player on either team today by a country mile.  So unlucky not to get that ball to drop in. 

He looked like a player we spent 35 million on, and felt we got a good deal today.  Keep that up Andy and you're gonna score a lot of goals for Liverpool next season.

suarez is a great player but leading the line isnt his forte, quite often you recieve the ball static with your back to goal and you make an easy target for defenders to come through the back of you. suarez was like everyone else in the team, he only started to play when carroll gave the team a focal point.
i really cant praise carroll enough for that performance, every team loses big games but there`s a `liverpool way` to lose, you go down swinging and we did that today largely down to the efforts of the big fella. a few of our players walked off that pitch knowing they put in dissapointing performances, carroll on the other hand didnt walk off the pitch he went out on his shield.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Raoul » Sat May 05, 2012 7:51 pm

He was great today, made up for the lad.
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sat May 05, 2012 7:52 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat May 05, 2012 6:47 pm wrote:
ethanr » Sat May 05, 2012 6:37 pm wrote:Suarez and him did well today.  Suarez's perfectly lifted ball to the back post.. They played off each other so well.  When Carroll came on we finally got Suarez involved as well, it opened up so much for him.  Easy MOTM for me, no question about it.  Best player on either team today by a country mile.  So unlucky not to get that ball to drop in. 

suarez is a great player but leading the line isnt his forte, quite often you recieve the ball static with your back to goal and you make an easy target for defenders to come through the back of you. suarez was like everyone else in the team, he only started to play when carroll gave the team a focal point.
i really cant praise carroll enough for that performance, every team loses big games but there`s a `liverpool way` to lose, you go down swinging and we did that today largely down to the efforts of the big fella. a few of our players walked off that pitch knowing they put in dissapointing performances, carroll on the other hand didnt walk off the pitch he went out on his shield.

I agree, Suarez is not a lone striker and he can't lead the line, he is more of a forward who drifts wide and goes deep to get the ball, he was completely isolated up front. Carroll on the other hand showed some confidence in his game, he just lifted our spirits with his performance, terrible decision by Kenny to drop him after an impressive performance against Fulham last tuesday
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat May 05, 2012 8:04 pm

metalhead » Sat May 05, 2012 6:52 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat May 05, 2012 6:47 pm wrote:

I agree, Suarez is not a lone striker and he can't lead the line, he is more of a forward who drifts wide and goes deep to get the ball, he was completely isolated up front. Carroll on the other hand showed some confidence in his game, he just lifted our spirits with his performance, terrible decision by Kenny to drop him after an impressive performance against Fulham last tuesday

yeah mate, but no doubt kenny was influenced by the fact that we have beaten them the last 4 times we have played them by matching their formation.
i think we were so poor in the first half that kenny should have changed it at half time but to be fair to kenny they werent great either, their goal was down to keystone cop defending so kenny probably thought apart from that moment the game was quite even.
i can understand him being worried about going to 4-4-2 incase we got over run in midfield and while it was 1-0 he probably didnt want to take the risk, as it was carroll was so commanding up front he dragged chelsea`s midfield back to help their centre halves so he probably should have been on earlier.
it`s all hindsight now of course.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby D___C » Sat May 05, 2012 8:27 pm

Not a fan.. but not starting him was crazy. The guy scored the winner in the semi and given Chelsea are such a strong team aerially it was a no brainer to have him to try and counteract that.

The other main reason is we didnt have enough quality in midfield to play 5... so playing 4-4-2 was our only option. I would have Carroll on the field every day of the week before Spearing. If we had two from Alonso, Mascherano, Hamann, McAllister as choices then yeah play five in the middle, but we had the worst midfield in 50 years therefore the choice to play two upfront didn't require a decision.
D___C

Postby ethanr » Sat May 05, 2012 8:47 pm

I'd have loved to see Carroll start alone up top today with Suarez as an ACM or even as a winger.  I know I've touted this a a few times, but Suarez would be really effective as the Cristiano Ronaldo-type winger.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Bad Bob » Sat May 05, 2012 8:47 pm

On an otherwise bleak day this lad was outstanding from the moment he took the pitch.  His goal was a wonderful bit of skill--the footwork to shift the ball onto his left foot was deft and left Terry for dead and he did really well to arrow it into the roof of the net with Cech going to ground a little early.  Really unlucky not to get a second with the goal that wasn't (sorry, based on the replays I saw, it simply wasn't fully across the line) but great movement to get to the back stick for Suarez.  If we can take any ray of hope from an otherwise grim performance it's that the big fella seems to be finally growing into the shirt.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kukilon » Sat May 05, 2012 8:50 pm

This lad has now convinced me that he deserves to stay. Awesome performance today.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby D___C » Sat May 05, 2012 10:33 pm

Took his goal brilliantly... one of the few players in red who deserved a winners medal.

I'd love to hear the reason why Kenny didn't start him as i doubt there would be many of us who would have agreed to that decision (not just hindsight either).

Well done andy.
D___C

Postby Kharhaz » Sun May 06, 2012 12:55 am

metalhead » Sat May 05, 2012 7:30 pm wrote:
devaney » Sat May 05, 2012 6:28 pm wrote:Walk away with your head held high today Andy. You were a powerhouse in the last thirty minutes. Keep it up. The stuff around you has got to change in the summer. Spearing, Enrique, Henderson and Downing are all serious question marks?

You know it made me think if Carroll had better players around him he would do much better.

This is an argument a few of us have had since we signed him. He has been the scapegoat every time he doesn't score. Ever since Gerrard got back from injury he has lifted his performance as he is the one player who helps to create the chances. The players we have signed have been poor, Henderson has a had a stinker, Downing , well his stats speak for them self, Adam has been poor, Enrique started of brilliantly and has petered out as the season has gone on and Bellamy, considering he cost nothing, has done more than those who I have mentioned. But for me, for Carroll to be blamed, to be the brunt of every poor performance this club has had, is a joke. As the season ends, the one player who is playing like he gives a damn, like he cares about the shirt he is wearing, is Andy Carroll.

The rest of the players have to buck up, or get out.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kartiek » Sun May 06, 2012 1:02 am

I'm excited about Andy's future with us. If he's going to be that beast we saw today day in and day out, well then F*CK YEAH!
kartiek

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion