Andy Carroll signs for West Ham

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby maguskwt » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:15 pm

Do you know why England always underperform at the world stage? exactly because of players like Andy Carroll who are being hyped up in the country... good on the floor  :laugh:

If Andy Carroll is considered good on the floor, English football is doomed...

british footballers are so very much over-rated... Wayne Rooney can score goals and plays like a bull dog sure... british messi though?  :laugh: he's got no intelligence whatsoever...

Alan shearer scored lots of goals in domestic football... but at the world stage? He is probably about the same level as Jan Koller...

The only england internationals worth mentioning in recent times that can be considered as making the grade are Michael Owen, Steven Gerrard, David Beckham and Paul Gascoigne...

And even among those 4 only gascoigne has true skills that can unlock defences.

Owen had pace and exceptional finishing. Stevie G had athleticism, passing and overall quality. Beckham had exceptional free kick ability, pin-point crossing and exceptional work-rate... I can't think of anyone else who makes the grade...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:24 am

maguskwt » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:15 pm wrote:Do you know why England always underperform at the world stage? exactly because of players like Andy Carroll who are being hyped up in the country... good on the floor  :laugh:

british footballers are so very much over-rated... Wayne Rooney can score goals and plays like a bull dog sure... british messi though?  :laugh: he's got no intelligence whatsoever...

Alan shearer scored lots of goals in domestic football... but at the world stage? He is probably about the same level as Jan Koller...

The only england internationals worth mentioning in recent times that can be considered as making the grade are Michael Owen, Steven Gerrard, David Beckham and Paul Gascoigne...

Owen had pace and exceptional finishing. Stevie G had athleticism, passing and overall quality. Beckham had exceptional free kick ability, pin-point crossing and exceptional work-rate... I can't think of anyone else who makes the grade...

andy carroll is good at retaining the ball with defenders all over him, it`s a tough thing to do and plenty of so called great players dont look so great when they are leading the line and recieving the ball with their backs to goal, your an easy target for defenders.
plus england has had loads of good players, john barnes and peter beardsley played in gasgoignes era (beardsley even played in the same side as him) and what about the likes of gary lineker (top scorer at a world cup and nearly top scorer in 2 world cups) who played alongside gasgoigne or what about the likes of paul scholes? the fact you mention beckham before scholes shows what you know about footy!
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:45 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:24 am wrote:
maguskwt » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:15 pm wrote:Do you know why England always underperform at the world stage? exactly because of players like Andy Carroll who are being hyped up in the country... good on the floor  :laugh:

andy carroll is good at retaining the ball with defenders all over him, it`s a tough thing to do and plenty of so called great players dont look so great when they are leading the line and recieving the ball with their backs to goal, your an easy target for defenders.
plus england has had loads of good players, john barnes and peter beardsley played in gasgoignes era (beardsley even played in the same side as him) and what about the likes of gary lineker (top scorer at a world cup and nearly top scorer in 2 world cups) who played alongside gasgoigne or what about the likes of paul scholes? the fact you mention beckham before scholes shows what you know about footy!

When I meant by recent times the cut off was gascoigne... yes I like Scholes but i'm afraid he's also another one who performs very good domestically but at the world stage he doesn't outshine the 4 I have mentioned. He is a very very good all-rounder but lacks the cutting edge of Gerrard and Beckham. How many world cup goals did scholes score? I think it was only one in 98... long long time ago... Scholes doesn't outshine Gerrard and Beckham at the international level... that's the fact.

re: Carroll... what is the use if you can receive the ball with your back to the goal and takes eternity to turn with the ball? I can name alot of players who can do it and be more dangerous than Carroll while doing it... for example his namesake Andy Cole, one of the best at turning with the ball, Henry, Ibrahimovic, Torres, our very own and Andy's strike partner Suarez, Adebayor, the other lanky former Arsenal striker whose name escapes me right now... there are alot of players who holds the ball equally well and turns 10 times faster than Carroll...

Defend Carroll all you want but don't make it him out to be something he isn't...  :laugh:  he is an average target man not worth 35 million at all. He will probably become as good as Crouch and Heskey but that's about it. Having said that he doesn't need to be all that good if he works hard. If he works hard and gives 110% he can become as good as Kuyt and contribute  to the team like he contributed in the FA cup semi... and that's all what most fans want...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:41 am

Mag, realize you are naming a list of strikers who are considered some of the best that have ever payed there except maybe Adebayor and, Bentder if you aren't referring to RVP.

But Torres wasn't the same type of stiker Carroll is, neither is suarez, RVP, or Henry.  Apples and Oranges a bit here.  Target men like Carroll aren't supposed to be the best at turning the ball with speed like that.. Really the only modern big target men who truly flow like you are explaining may be Ibra or Dzeko (who, for his age is way ahead of his time in his position, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's a consistent top goal scorer in the prem for a few years in the near future).  Drogba, Anelka, Llorente, are all considered really talented target men, but they aren't know for their ability to quickly turn a defender as much as using their size and power.

I understand what you're saying, and it's something AC can improve on, but we can't expecting him to be twisting and turning like Suarez, because that's not what his type of striker does.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Kenny Kan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:44 am

:nod
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:53 am

maguskwt » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:45 am wrote:

When I meant by recent times the cut off was gascoigne... yes I like Scholes but i'm afraid he's also another one who performs very good domestically but at the world stage he doesn't outshine the 4 I have mentioned. He is a very very good all-rounder but lacks the cutting edge of Gerrard and Beckham. How many world cup goals did scholes score? I think it was only one in 98... long long time ago... Scholes doesn't outshine Gerrard and Beckham at the international level... that's the fact.

re: Carroll... what is the use if you can receive the ball with your back to the goal and takes eternity to turn with the ball? I can name alot of players who can do it and be more dangerous than Carroll while doing it... for example his namesake Andy Cole, one of the best at turning with the ball, Henry, Ibrahimovic, Torres, our very own and Andy's strike partner Suarez, Adebayor, the other lanky former Arsenal striker whose name escapes me right now... there are alot of players who holds the ball equally well and turns 10 times faster than Carroll...

Defend Carroll all you want but don't make it him out to be something he isn't...  :laugh:  he is an average target man not worth 35 million at all. He will probably become as good as Crouch and Heskey but that's about it. Having said that he doesn't need to be all that good if he works hard. If he works hard and gives 110% he can become as good as Kuyt and contribute  to the team like he contributed in the FA cup semi... and that's all what most fans want...

i think you are putting way to much emphasis on international football, there can be a lot of reasons why certain national sides and players dont perform to the best of their ability on the international stage, john barnes often got slated in the press for not replicating his liverpool form in an england jersey so do you think he was rubbish? maybe the fact he regularly got booed by england fans had something to do with it!
it`s a well known fact that over the years spain have produced some great players but they struggled in international competitions because of splits in their camp, mainly along real madrid / barca lines, well on the day that luis suarez refused to shake evra`s hand jamie redknapp told the nation that in the 90`s the liverpool and manchester united players never used to mix in the england squad and infact redknapp said he couldnt stand gary neville back then and he was sure neville didnt like him either.
you are not going to win much or perform well if one half of your team have breakfast on a different table to the other or of an evening if one half plays pool the other half goes and plays darts, all the while making snide remarks about each other. other players from different clubs get dragged into the various cliques and before you know it there is no team spirit at all.
in recent times english clubs have done well in the CL, we have won it and appeared in another final, united have won it twice and appeared in 3 of the last 4 finals, arsenal have appeared in the final and so have chelsea. throughout those sides the mainstays of the side were often english, even mourinho said his main men were john terry and frank lampard, he called them the heart and soul of the club and that was at a time when chelsea had star players from all over the place, it was the same at united, ferguson relied heavily on his british players like ferdinand, giggs, scholes etc and we were no different with gerrard and carragher often being the players who put in big performances in the big games.
to say your not a good player if you dont perform on a international stage is a ridiculous argument, are you trying to say milan baros is better than messi?
and laugh at andy carroll all you want mate (btw carroll`s international career is quite impressive, granted he`s only played 2 games but he was englands best player in his debut game against france and he scored in his other appearance against ghana) but what i`ve often seen in footy is that players who start off at a club in a blaze of glory (nigel clough, stan collymore even patrick berger here) often fade but players that start bad but show the character to ride out the storm and start to improve often end up the best players (pallister had a nightmare start at united but ended up a great player and look at the likes of lucas and even ian rush, he was told by bob paisley that he was on the transfer list at one point early in his liverpool career)
carroll looks to me like he is turning it around and putting in arguably a MoM performance and scoring the winner in the biggest derby game in a quarter of a century is going in the right direction.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:11 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:49 pm wrote:
devaney » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:40 pm wrote:
It's a shame that you have to sarcastically demean Crouchy's performance record to try and win an argument with D_C who frankly should be ignored. Crouchy wasn't the greatest but he worked very hard for the team and whilst 22 goals in 85 matches is not brilliant he doesn't deserve to be belittled.

Its equally shameful you have sat back and allowed  him to constantly make snide fucking comments about Carroll ,and yet chose this moment to
intervene by defending Crouchie .  I mean would you say the need to defend a current Liverpool player outweighs your haste in championing the cause
of an ex Red ???  Maybe you should have took your own advice and ignored my post ?
Just a suggestion mind .

Ffs  RBG read the thread. I have castigated Kerry and D_C who are obviously the same person for the utter diatribe of abuse that has been aimed at Carroll. I'm not Andy's biggest fan but even his lacklustre performances do not warrant such distasteful attacks. Andy's contribution against United and Everton in the FA Cup are a key reason we are in the final as I have previously acknowledged.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:31 pm

ethanr » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:41 am wrote:Mag, realize you are naming a list of strikers who are considered some of the best that have ever payed there except maybe Adebayor and, Bentder if you aren't referring to RVP.

But Torres wasn't the same type of stiker Carroll is, neither is suarez, RVP, or Henry.  Apples and Oranges a bit here.  Target men like Carroll aren't supposed to be the best at turning the ball with speed like that.. Really the only modern big target men who truly flow like you are explaining may be Ibra or Dzeko (who, for his age is way ahead of his time in his position, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's a consistent top goal scorer in the prem for a few years in the near future).  Drogba, Anelka, Llorente, are all considered really talented target men, but they aren't know for their ability to quickly turn a defender as much as using their size and power.

I understand what you're saying, and it's something AC can improve on, but we can't expecting him to be twisting and turning like Suarez, because that's not what his type of striker does.

Well we should remember that strikers like Torres, Owen and Fowler played for us in recent times and it is not unrealistic for fans to expect strikers of similar quality leading the line for us... sadly Carroll is not of that quality regardless of the type of striker...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:50 pm

devaney » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:11 pm wrote:
Ffs  RBG read the thread. I have castigated Kerry and D_C who are obviously the same person for the utter diatribe of abuse that has been aimed at Carroll. I'm not Andy's biggest fan but even his lacklustre performances do not warrant such distasteful attacks. Andy's contribution against United and Everton in the FA Cup are a key reason we are in the final as I have previously acknowledged.

I must have missed that then ,because I was under the impression you hadn't quoted Kerry once ,although I did only go back about 17 pages  ???
I did note you scolded Benny on sounding as inane as Kerry ,but that's not really a castigation is it ?  ...I must have also missed the lavish praise
you gave Carroll ,I guess I didn't go back far enough ?
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:24 am

To be honest RBG I've got fed up with this D_C/Kerry thread and I don't post on it very often now and yes 17 pages probably isn't enough! You need to read the last 150 pages to get a true understanding of my frustrated feelings towards Andy Carroll and idiots like D_C/Kerry who I have accused on numerous occasions of being a bitter blue! My praise for Carroll and criticism of D_C/Kerry after the FA Cup game against Man United is there for all to read.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby andy_g » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:06 am

D__C.... i would very much like to hear your views on this - http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-n ... es-it-easy

i mean, if the side is built around carroll and not suarez, is it just luck that suarez feels he benefits from playing alongside him?

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:16 am

maguskwt » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:15 pm wrote:Do you know why England always underperform at the world stage?

I dont know whether you were only referring to International football but its much more than that IMO.  Despite all Fergie / United's domestic success, they've only won the CL twice.  Ourselves and the Mancs are also the only 2 English teams to win the CL as far as I know. 

Chelsea have spent hundreds of millions and have still only got to ONE final.  (and lost)

During the years of the big 4 (Liverpool, United, Chelsea, Arsenal), the PL was talked up as the best league in the world.  Every year the English teams were competing in the CL semi's, finals etc.  Only ourselves and United won it.

Barca have won as many CL's since 2006 as all English clubs put together.  AC Milan won as many CL's between 2003 - 2007 as Fergie has ever won.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:17 pm

devaney » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:24 am wrote:To be honest RBG I've got fed up with this D_C/Kerry thread and I don't post on it very often now and yes 17 pages probably isn't enough! You need to read the last 150 pages to get a true understanding of my frustrated feelings towards Andy Carroll and idiots like D_C/Kerry who I have accused on numerous occasions of being a bitter blue! My praise for Carroll and criticism of D_C/Kerry after the FA Cup game against Man United is there for all to read.

Fair enough, Kerry does have a tendency to repeat himself ,but this thread is about (thus the title ) Andy Carroll .
It would be fair to say I think Dalglish's patience in the big man is finally beginning to pay dividends ,so lets not
make this thread about some clown who will never accept he has got this one badly wrong .
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:53 pm

jacdaniel » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:16 am wrote:
maguskwt » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:15 pm wrote:Do you know why England always underperform at the world stage?

I dont know whether you were only referring to International football but its much more than that IMO.  Despite all Fergie / United's domestic success, they've only won the CL twice.  Ourselves and the Mancs are also the only 2 English teams to win the CL as far as I know. 

Chelsea have spent hundreds of millions and have still only got to ONE final.  (and lost)

During the years of the big 4 (Liverpool, United, Chelsea, Arsenal), the PL was talked up as the best league in the world.  Every year the English teams were competing in the CL semi's, finals etc.  Only ourselves and United won it.

Barca have won as many CL's since 2006 as all English clubs put together.  AC Milan won as many CL's between 2003 - 2007 as Fergie has ever won.

yeah but lets face it, it was about time barcelona actually started punching their weight in europe, they have been a massive club for donkeys years who often broke transfer records signing players like cruyff, maradona, romario, ronaldo etc but until their recent good run they had won 1 european cup and that was when english clubs were banned.
the two milan clubs have always had a great tradition in europe, even in the 60`s.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RichardLFC1 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:50 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:
jacdaniel » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:16 am wrote:

yeah but lets face it, it was about time barcelona actually started punching their weight in europe, they have been a massive club for donkeys years who often broke transfer records signing players like cruyff, maradona, romario, ronaldo etc but until their recent good run they had won 1 european cup and that was when english clubs were banned.
the two milan clubs have always had a great tradition in europe, even in the 60`s.

What has any part of this got to do with Carroll?????

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Premiership - General Discussion