Do we have to win the league this season?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:30 pm

Owzat wrote:Is there going to be a better opportunity? Assuming citeh don't become a big force overnight, that Arsenal won't spring one of their wonder seasons and that the Ronaldo sale and loss of Tevez has done damage to the mancs, then that leaves Chelsea as possibly the biggest threat to our title prospects.

So maybe our players are getting the wrong side of 30, but does that mean they are incapable of carrying on at a high performance level for a few years yet? I think this "30 is past it" mentality is creeping in, as much as "injury prone" and talk of "pay as you play". The mancs won the league last season but aren't their players like Rio, Scholes, Giggs etc the same age or older (Van Der Broken Finger) than our's?

I think we need to replace Xabi adequately, see if Johnson does take RB up a step and need consistency of performance and fitness from Kuyt, Gerrard, Torres and whoever plays the opposite side to Kuyt. Is age the real concern?

Agree with all of that. So far, Chelsea are the only one of the top 4 who have managed to hold on to all their players.

This is also a side who despite sacking a manager midway through the season and losing the likes of Dropba and Essien for the majority of the season, along with Carvalho and Joe Cole, still finished only 3 points behind us last season.

Right now I'd make them favourites but any of us, them or United are capable of winning it.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby babu » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:39 pm

heimdall wrote:Xabi was holding us back, now we can get an attacking midfielder which is more what we need, especially against the smaller teams. Also maybe Lucas can step up although I'm not too hopeful about that but then Kuyt surprised the hell out of me last season so maybe it's Lucas's turn this season.

I really think Xabi was a luxury we can and will live without. We can always drop Stevie back into midfield where he can do Xabi's job X 2 and then get a top notch strike partner for Nando.

I would have slapped you over the head with my left testicle if you said that 2 months ago.

Now I hope to god you're right.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:36 pm

Xabi was holding us back? I know Gerrard and Torres are more important because they are less replaceable and score all our goals. But Alonso was the most influential player in most of our games last season, we always controlled the match better when he was playing and without his influence Gerrard and Torres will struggle to flourish and Mash/Carra will have their work cut out. The other teams always realised this, hence why they tried to foul him all the time!
Last edited by XSD on Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:42 pm

Without Xabi in the side, how many of our opponents would have been sent off...................?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion