Our centre backs

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby DrPepe » Fri May 01, 2009 2:15 pm

Owzat wrote:
DrPepe wrote:
Sabre wrote:I'd like Hyypia end his career here. Besides the emotional reasons, I think people have been talking about his career ending since 2 years ago, but the truth is, that everytime or almost everytime he's been used he has answered well.

Then there's the progressive loss of height and aerial power some mates have already spotted, I definitely think that Hyypia should stay here, both emotionally and because he's useful in the pitch and in the dressroom with his experience. At this point we won't get any serious money for him, and I'd rather want his experience here and not in another premier league team.

that's all true Sabre, but many of the articles state he wants to leave to get more games.

he won' t get that at LFC

For him I think he is better moving to a club that will offer him a starting place, which club is best for him is another matter. Even if he went to Wolves he might not be or stay 1st choice, good as he is he is getting old and losing some of what made him great or he would be 1st choice here.

If he wanted to coach then staying here would be his best move. But he won't get regular starts so I suspect he'll move away. Be best to offer him a coaching role when he retires, leave it on the table in case regular football means he suffers a career ending injury and so he knows we want him.

Sabre - we didn't pay a lot for him in the first place, got 10 years out of him and could still get maybe 1/3 or 1/2 what we paid for him back then. An honest question to you and all on here, was Sami as good as Vidic is, better or not as good? I think Vidic is slightly over-rated, he can be found out on the ground although he does seem to be dominant in the air. Just as well for the mancs as Rio is a bit suspect in the air, sometimes a bit suspect in every department. Makes me laugh when he gets out of position, ends up covering space halfway between the ball and the possible pass/threat and sticks legs out as if trying to control it on his toe at full stretch.

they can't be that limited?

surely at least part of the reason  that united have pretty much had the best defense in the league for the last 2-3 years is because of their...er... defenders?   :p
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Fri May 01, 2009 2:26 pm

DrPepe wrote:
Owzat wrote:
DrPepe wrote:
Sabre wrote:I'd like Hyypia end his career here. Besides the emotional reasons, I think people have been talking about his career ending since 2 years ago, but the truth is, that everytime or almost everytime he's been used he has answered well.

Then there's the progressive loss of height and aerial power some mates have already spotted, I definitely think that Hyypia should stay here, both emotionally and because he's useful in the pitch and in the dressroom with his experience. At this point we won't get any serious money for him, and I'd rather want his experience here and not in another premier league team.

that's all true Sabre, but many of the articles state he wants to leave to get more games.

he won' t get that at LFC

For him I think he is better moving to a club that will offer him a starting place, which club is best for him is another matter. Even if he went to Wolves he might not be or stay 1st choice, good as he is he is getting old and losing some of what made him great or he would be 1st choice here.

If he wanted to coach then staying here would be his best move. But he won't get regular starts so I suspect he'll move away. Be best to offer him a coaching role when he retires, leave it on the table in case regular football means he suffers a career ending injury and so he knows we want him.

Sabre - we didn't pay a lot for him in the first place, got 10 years out of him and could still get maybe 1/3 or 1/2 what we paid for him back then. An honest question to you and all on here, was Sami as good as Vidic is, better or not as good? I think Vidic is slightly over-rated, he can be found out on the ground although he does seem to be dominant in the air. Just as well for the mancs as Rio is a bit suspect in the air, sometimes a bit suspect in every department. Makes me laugh when he gets out of position, ends up covering space halfway between the ball and the possible pass/threat and sticks legs out as if trying to control it on his toe at full stretch.

they can't be that limited?

surely at least part of the reason  that united have pretty much had the best defense in the league for the last 2-3 years is because of their...er... defenders?   :p

"they" being the manc CBs?!?

Rio makes mistakes, gets away with it a bit more than most defences. Part of the reason they don't concede many goals is a lot of teams go to old twatford to hold on to nil-nil. The fact that you can't score without the ball and the mancs get a lot of possession helps their defence.

Vidic is pretty solid, the odd mistake on the ground like against us is hardly damning of him. Rio is massively over-rated, very good defender and probably one of the best two English CBs, but he does make mistakes. Have you noticed that the mancs look as solid with Evans alongside Vidic as Rio? Of course the manc defence also has a 12th man, not their "supporters", but the man in black. The lack of goals against is also a sad reflection of how sh 1te most of the teams in the Premiership are and their mentality against the 'big four' - especially away from home. How many sides have scored twice or more at Anfield in the Premiership? THREE out of 17 visitors thus far, Arsenal (4-4), Hull (2-2) and Wigan (3-2, one of which was a Zaki wonderstrike) Yet having only conceded two goals in three games at home we've drawn SEVEN - three 0-0s and two 1-1s.

Don't get me wrong, Vidic and Rio are probably both in the top 10 CBs in the Premiership, but Rio in particular would struggle without a solid partner.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby oreilly » Mon May 04, 2009 2:56 pm

Sami Hyypia's decade of service at Liverpool Football Club will end this summer when he joins Bayer Leverkusen on a two-year deal.
Hyypia underwent a medical with the German outfit this morning and will link up with his new teammates in the summer for the start of pre-season training.

The Finnish international has earned legendary status at Anfield for the part he has played in the club's many successes over the past decade - and he will leave Merseyside with the best wishes of every Liverpool supporter.

It's hard to believe he cost the Reds just £2.5million from Dutch outfit Willem II back in May 1999.

After making his Reds debut against Sheffield Wednesday on August 7, 1999, Hyypia quickly formed a watertight partnership with Stephane Henchoz, providing the foundation for a historic treble in 2000-01.

The centre-half wore the captain's armband through much of this momentous campaign in the absence of the injured Jamie Redknapp. He jointly lifted both the UEFA and FA Cups.

Following the departure of Redknapp in April 2002, Gerard Houllier handed his trusty defender the captaincy on a permanent basis, though he'd be replaced by the emerging Steven Gerrard in October 2003.

With the arrival of new boss Rafa Benitez in 2004 came numerous personnel changes, though it was clear Hyypia was going nowhere.

However, he did have a new central-defensive partner in Jamie Carragher, who was at last given a regular slot in his preferred position. Within 12 months they were regarded as one of the most formidable pairings on the continent following Liverpool's Champions League triumph in the Ataturk.

Hyypia scored one of the most memorable goals en route to Istanbul, an unstoppable volley to open the scoring against Juve in the quarter-finals.

Incredibly, he played every minute of 57 consecutive European games for the Reds from November 2001 to February 2006.

The arrival of young centre-halves Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel provided competition for places as Hyypia entered his twilight but, despite sometimes missing out, he continued to climb the club's all-time appearance table. In December 2008 he overtook Ron Yeats to enter the top 20.

History will undoubtedly judge the big Finn to be one of the club's shrewdest pieces of business - and possibly the best pound for pound signing ever to arrive at Anfield.

taken from official site:

Best of Luck Sami , Still kinda sad to see him go tho......
Last edited by oreilly on Mon May 04, 2009 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oreilly

Postby aCe' » Mon May 04, 2009 3:05 pm

oreilly wrote:Sami Hyypia's decade of service at Liverpool Football Club will end this summer when he joins Bayer Leverkusen on a two-year deal.
Hyypia underwent a medical with the German outfit this morning and will link up with his new teammates in the summer for the start of pre-season training.

The Finnish international has earned legendary status at Anfield for the part he has played in the club's many successes over the past decade - and he will leave Merseyside with the best wishes of every Liverpool supporter.

It's hard to believe he cost the Reds just £2.5million from Dutch outfit Willem II back in May 1999.

After making his Reds debut against Sheffield Wednesday on August 7, 1999, Hyypia quickly formed a watertight partnership with Stephane Henchoz, providing the foundation for a historic treble in 2000-01.

The centre-half wore the captain's armband through much of this momentous campaign in the absence of the injured Jamie Redknapp. He jointly lifted both the UEFA and FA Cups.

Following the departure of Redknapp in April 2002, Gerard Houllier handed his trusty defender the captaincy on a permanent basis, though he'd be replaced by the emerging Steven Gerrard in October 2003.

With the arrival of new boss Rafa Benitez in 2004 came numerous personnel changes, though it was clear Hyypia was going nowhere.

However, he did have a new central-defensive partner in Jamie Carragher, who was at last given a regular slot in his preferred position. Within 12 months they were regarded as one of the most formidable pairings on the continent following Liverpool's Champions League triumph in the Ataturk.

Hyypia scored one of the most memorable goals en route to Istanbul, an unstoppable volley to open the scoring against Juve in the quarter-finals.

Incredibly, he played every minute of 57 consecutive European games for the Reds from November 2001 to February 2006.

The arrival of young centre-halves Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel provided competition for places as Hyypia entered his twilight but, despite sometimes missing out, he continued to climb the club's all-time appearance table. In December 2008 he overtook Ron Yeats to enter the top 20.

History will undoubtedly judge the big Finn to be one of the club's shrewdest pieces of business - and possibly the best pound for pound signing ever to arrive at Anfield.

taken from official site:

Best of Luck Sami , Still kinda sad to see him go tho......

:(

Still our best defender and would have done well keeping him as backup for one more year... hes proved this season that hes still got it and its surprising that he didnt get more games this season after some shambolic displays from our backline in recent times...

all the best Sami and a legend in all books... hope he returns to the club at some point in any other capacity..
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Mon May 04, 2009 3:08 pm

Wasn't expecting this at all. Hope he returns as a coach one day. Absolute class act Sami, you are a Liverpool legend and easily the best £2.5m EVER spent in the Premier League. Best of luck Sami, really look forward to seeing you again :)

Does this mean investing in another centre back in the summer then?
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby GOAT » Mon May 04, 2009 3:23 pm

Would be a shame for him to leave the club without a league title

I guess he'll have his testimonial before he goes then
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby JC_81 » Mon May 04, 2009 3:48 pm

Absolute legend.

Very sad to see him go, I think he has been underused this season especially given Skrtel's form and Agger's injuries.  Fair play to him though for wanting to finish on a high by playing some regular first team football elsewhere.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Youlin » Mon May 04, 2009 3:58 pm

it's so unbelievable!
YNWA
Youlin

Postby Kukilon » Mon May 04, 2009 4:04 pm

This is a sad sad day. ???
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Mon May 04, 2009 4:09 pm

Gutted we won't have him in the ranks next season but I completely understand his decision if he's confident Leverkusen will offer him more first-team opportunities.  A true legend and one of my favourite all-time players.  He will be missed.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Mon May 04, 2009 4:13 pm

This deserves a separate thread lads... come on....
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Mon May 04, 2009 4:15 pm

:(

Sami's one of my favourite Liverpool players of all time. I even named one of my cats after him after his heroics in the 2001 FA Cup final.

Good luck Sami and thanks for the memories.

YNWA
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Mon May 04, 2009 5:18 pm

I thought Agger had signed.

It says here hes agreed but nothing is signed yet :(

Daniel Agger's relief at new Liverpool FC contract
May 4 2009 by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

Daniel Agger, Liverpool FC

DANIEL Agger today told of his relief that the doubts surrounding his future at Anfield are set to come to an end.

The Danish defender has not yet put pen to paper on a new contract but, as revealed in Friday’s ECHO, he has agreed terms on a four year deal which if fulfilled will see him remain with Liverpool until at least 2014.

Agger celebrated the impending signing of his new contract with a characteristically composed performance at the heart of Liverpool’s defence in yesterday’s 3-0 romp against Newcastle and afterwards he revealed his delight that his future is about to be resolved.

And the 24-year-old cites the faith that Rafa Benitez has placed in him as one of the main reasons why he is extending his stay.

“We are close now and of course I would be happy to stay at Liverpool because it is what I’ve been working for for the last few years,” he said.

“I haven’t signed yet but we have agreed some things and we are close.

“Everybody has been in this kind of situation and you know how hard it can be.

“So that has been frustrating but I have kept on working and we are close now.

“It’s important as a player to have the faith of your manager because if you don’t have that then you’re probably not at the right club.”

1 2 next

Hurry up Danny lad get the pen on the paper just a little sqiggle thats all it takes
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion