Can anyone pinpoint the reason

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:08 pm

Actaully, on second thoughts, it's purely down to us ditching zonal marking. :lookaround
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Sir Roger » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:08 pm

GYBS wrote:Um not really - as i said i will be concentrating on more important things .

So much so that you cant stop going on about it...
:laugh:
You will be watching like a hawk to prove me wrong
:;):
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:13 pm

Sir Roger wrote:Sometimes I must admit I do feel that some are not as knowledgable as they think and do need some guidance now and again.

sums you up
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:14 pm

Sir Roger wrote:
GYBS wrote:Um not really - as i said i will be concentrating on more important things .

right ok  :sleep
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:19 pm

GYBS wrote:
Sir Roger wrote:

Ha
GYBS youre like a fuc.king boomerang!
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:19 pm

GYBS wrote:
Sir Roger wrote:

Take no notice of Sir Roger, I've noticed on various forums that some threads have a larger proportion of responses from the thread starter than most. It makes it look like there's a lot of interest when in fact maybe as much as 50% of the posts will be by said thread starter!  :laugh:

And those that aren't may well be a WUM so most of the responses will either be responses to the thread starters stupid WUMing or not serious but mocking. Best not to take too much Sir Roger says seriously, he's not nearly as clever as he likes to think he is.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:23 pm

Owzat wrote:
GYBS wrote:
Sir Roger wrote:

Take no notice of Sir Roger, I've noticed on various forums that some threads have a larger proportion of responses from the thread starter than most. It makes it look like there's a lot of interest when in fact maybe as much as 50% of the posts will be by said thread starter!  :laugh:

And those that aren't may well be a WUM so most of the responses will either be responses to the thread starters stupid WUMing or not serious but mocking. Best not to take too much Sir Roger says seriously, he's not nearly as clever as he likes to think he is.

What do you mean by that?
???
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:29 pm

Bam wrote:
Sabre wrote:It was a joke aimed to bring Mick to the discussion. I know he's there, reading. :D

What would be your reasons to explain those fantastic results then? :)

I dont know, possibly the fact it was crunch time. Madrid in the CL is very prestigious draw, it may of gave them extra motivation. Of course the crowd definately played it's part.

No doubt the training leading up to the match was astute and calculated. The boys really put on a performance, it reminded me of when we rushed Juve at home. When Garcia scored that fantastic goal, they couldnt handle the tempo and neither could Madrid.Our boys had more fight and heart and the crowd really did lift them.

We're at our best when we've been written off, Manchester United had to win tha game and more or less become champions. Yet the lads IMO played United as they played Madrid in Spain. A very strategic gameplan, I've said before we respond to bigger clubs as they have the onus to get at us. We're better to deal with that than breaking teams down. And I suppose after the Madrid game and with United only needing to win this fixture daylight woiuld of cleared at the top of the table. They work well under pressure and we picked off United with some simple route one stuff. Torres in particular ran Rio and Vidic ragged that day. With him and Gerrard back in the team finding form their a handful for any team. The injuries previous can be put down to delayed gazelle and the hungry cheetah to an extent. They have been delayed because they were injured, but nothing to do with rotating Gerrard 4 months ago for 60 mins.

Furthermore Anfield was buzzing against Villa no doubt Danny Murphy had an impact on the crowds atmos. That result down a Craven cottage got the crowd believing and then in effect got the players believing IMO. The crowd play a HUGE impact at home, when their vocal. But when they turn up and just expect Liverpool to beat Fulham the atmos isnt there and I believe that does effect the players. The fans need to be lifted by the players, but the players need to be lifted by the crowd sometimes.

Basically in terms of home games if the crowd are buzzing (proper) 9/10 the Reds will get the result.

That's a good post.

Because, it touches several possible reasons to explain the fantastic results, and IMHO, probably all of them you've mention might have had an effect.

I do think that to obtain these fantastic results, you need not one, but a lot of things done right, plus a bit of luck. Yes, if with 1-2 in Old Trafford they hadn't failed a chance, then it would had been a different game.

Another factor I'd mention was pointed out by Andy Gray. He usually talks lots of bóllocks, but stated a fact: That was Torres 13th start in the season. 13 games in which he was fit enough to start. That's not a lot of games.

For me it's being crucial that Torres-Gerrard are getting games together and for once, none of them are recovering from injury or injured.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:43 pm

The last line for me is one of the main reasons Sabre- Torres and gerrard both fit on form and playing together .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:49 pm

Sabre wrote:Another factor I'd mention was pointed out by Andy Gray. He usually talks lots of bóllocks, but stated a fact: That was Torres 13th start in the season. 13 games in which he was fit enough to start. That's not a lot of games.

That is in the league.

Torres Premiership Starts : P13 W7 D6 L0 (Goals 8)

I'm going to compare this season with last, not to prove anyone wrong or to point towards supporting a theory, simply to see how much of a difference there has been. If it looks as if it indicates anything then we'll all be able to see it and doubtless interpret it how each of us wants to!  :D

FERNANDO TORRES

90+ Mins

08/09 : 5 goals in 14 apps (0.357 goals/app)
07/08 : 21 goals in 25 apps (0.840 goals/app)

60-89 Mins

08/09 : 4 goals in 7 apps (0.571 goals/app)
07/08 : 11 goals in 15 apps (0.733 goals/app)

30-59 Mins

08/09 : 0 goals in 4 apps (0.000 goals/app)
07/08 : 0 goals in 2 apps (0.000 goals/app)

1-29 Mins

08/09 : 2 goals in 4 apps (0.500 goals/app)
07/08 : 1 goal in 4 apps (0.250 goals/app)

Some will argue he's played 90 mins when not fully fit, in that case you have to question Rafa's judgement since he's clearly been a lot less effective in goals returns this season when playing the full game. If that was down to a lack of fitness then perhaps taking him off sooner would have been better for Torres. I've been somewhat gobsmacked by Rafa leaving Torres on a few times this season, if the game is won then he is the most vulnerable to injury of our more important squad members

60+ Mins

07/08 : 40 apps, 3471 mins, 32 goals (87 mins/app, 0.800 goals/app)
08/09 : 21 apps, 1843 mins, 9 goals (88 mins/app, 0.428 goals/app)

Bear in mind last season was 59 games, we're only on 45 so far this season. It is hard to factor in "second season syndrome" and the impact of that, it would have been might impressive to have maintained that let alone with injuries
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion