Give techonlogy a chance

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kindaconfuzed » Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:33 pm

Akumaface

I think the link to the human element is a kop out to do nothing. The idea being not to slow the game down and only to use it for the major decisions. I also think ice hickey is a faster game but i think the refs get it more right than in futball.
I'll take on board yer problem but not yer anger
If it aint funny it aint right
I used to have an avatar of a girl rubbing her breasts but it was considered sexist - guys can you just imagine
Still waitin for the call for the ELITE MEMBERS DISCUSSION (forms in the post?)
kindaconfuzed
LFC Elite Member

Postby Redrider » Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:40 pm

Had my dinner, see that you are getting close, fingures must be red-hot. You are absolutly correct all the big decisions, like today's offside call should go to a video ref, as they do in Rugby when a try is scorred.???
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby A.B. » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:31 pm

akumaface wrote:I had watched a lot of American Sports over the years such as Ice Hockey, Amercian Football, Basketball baseball and so on. Not all of them have replay as a tool. American Football used it exclusively while to some degree Ice Hockey too. But there is really little or no replay for Basketball and Baseball because some believed it will ruin the game. Many want to preserve the tradition because they believed that the element of human judgement is part of what make the game interesting. I think if we got the benefit of the misjudge from the ref tonight, we would not be having this thread. Anyway, I think football is not suitable to have replay because it is very different than American Football because football is a non stop game with little stoppage while American Football stops after every play. Another difference is that every inch counts in American Football.  So, it requires replay to locate the ball or to see whether the ball have hit the ground and so on. But in football, the ball goes dead after the ref blow the whistle but not before.

I understand but we shouldn't suffer because of somebodies mistake outside of the squad.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:32 pm

Do you actually like the game or what?

Get ****** real.

Posts like this make me wanna punch someone. If you don't like football, EF OFF.

Its part of the game. Always has been. The day technology gets introduced is the day i stop watching professional football.

The only difference in a kids Sunday league and a Profesional game is the attendance and the quality. There aren't many sports that can say that, thats the beauty of the game. Anyone who does want technology simply doesn't love the game. End of Story.
115-1073096938

Postby Paul C » Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:16 pm

Weird, I was going to create a new post about this but noticed this one (I'm a good boy, no multiple threads, hehe).

Their are too many mistakes made by officials these days and the one today to disallow Garcia's goal just woud me up once and for all :angry:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:21 pm

Paul C wrote:Weird, I was going to create a new post about this but noticed this one (I'm a good boy, no multiple threads, hehe).

Their are too many mistakes made by officials these days and the one today to disallow Garcia's goal just woud me up once and for all :angry:

Well said, they make too many mistakes.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby kindaconfuzed » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:26 am

Stu the dead

If yer don't like the topic, vote with yer finger....take it out of yer ar$e and dont type. All comments are welcome, abuse is not.
I used to have an avatar of a girl rubbing her breasts but it was considered sexist - guys can you just imagine
kindaconfuzed
LFC Elite Member

Postby akumaface » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:02 am

A.B. wrote:
akumaface wrote:I had watched a lot of American Sports over the years such as Ice Hockey, Amercian Football, Basketball baseball and so on. Not all of them have replay as a tool. American Football used it exclusively while to some degree Ice Hockey too. But there is really little or no replay for Basketball and Baseball because some believed it will ruin the game. Many want to preserve the tradition because they believed that the element of human judgement is part of what make the game interesting. I think if we got the benefit of the misjudge from the ref tonight, we would not be having this thread. Anyway, I think football is not suitable to have replay because it is very different than American Football because football is a non stop game with little stoppage while American Football stops after every play. Another difference is that every inch counts in American Football.  So, it requires replay to locate the ball or to see whether the ball have hit the ground and so on. But in football, the ball goes dead after the ref blow the whistle but not before.

I understand but we shouldn't suffer because of somebodies mistake outside of the squad.

I know what you mean but its impossible to use replay without not affecting the game. What would you do in a situation like the one we had in the Bolton game? The ref blew the whistle and the play went dead. How do you make the goal stand? Football is different because the ref need to make an instant decision such as whether a player is off side or not. You just can't stop the game and check the replay to decide. Even if you can, how are you going to resume the play? I think video replay will ruin the game. I can accept the fact that you win some and lose some. Its just the way it is. Even if replay can be used, people still need to be in place to make the judgement. You just can't guarantee 100% that the video judge will make the right call all the time. In hockey, video judge still make mistake sometimes. Anyway, there will be more problem than benefit to use video replay in football.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby kindaconfuzed » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:27 am

Akumaface

Play the game until the 5th official views the replay or wait until the ball goes dead.

don't forget they already use replays for violence offences, so the 5th official cud contact ref by way of earpiece, its just gotta be better than now. But then maybe some peeps see amtature officials in a professional game as acceptable, whereas I don't.

How can we allow all this money at stake to be in the hands of a few amature part timers its laughable but then seeing the behaviour of the boys at the FA is understandable.
kindaconfuzed
LFC Elite Member

Postby akumaface » Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:43 am

kindaconfuzed wrote:Akumaface

Play the game until the 5th official views the replay or wait until the ball goes dead.

don't forget they already use replays for violence offences, so the 5th official cud contact ref by way of earpiece, its just gotta be better than now. But then maybe some peeps see amtature officials in a professional game as acceptable, whereas I don't.

How can we allow all this money at stake to be in the hands of a few amature part timers its laughable but then seeing the behaviour of the boys at the FA is understandable.

I understand your frustration but how can you continue to play until the ball goes dead in a situation we were in on Sat? Do you mean that the ref should not blow a whistle? I just don't see how it will work. As for using replay for violence offences, this I agree because its been successful in punishing the players for the infraction in just about every major sports but they used it for review after the game if a complain has been launched or its so serious that the league will look into it. By what you are suggesting, maybe you meant not to have any ref on the pitch at all. They should instead just look at the video the whole game with individual referee monitoring each individual player in their own screen. By then, there will be no flow to the game whatsoever. To give you an example, if the ref decided to review and stop the infraction such as the off side on Sat, everyone would review it including the managers and there will be argument all over the place. This is because you can't possibly have all the angles covered and would subject to personal judgement again. In the case of Hockey or American football, they used it successfully because they have precise line drawn on the ground so its easy to decide whether its really an off side or not. But in football, we don't have that. We can just replay in dispute whether the ball had crossed the goal line or not. That's about it but no on off side. But if you can find a way not to affect the flow of the game and continue to see the kind of football we are seeing then I would agree to it.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby Gareth G » Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:35 pm

Stu wise up you tart, its opinions here. You think we dont like football because we want something done about the endless, careless mistakes made by referees? YOU get a life.

You don't need to force you're opinion across, you always think you're right. After all, thats what a forum is for, to express ones opinions and thought, not be told we are knobs because one ****** thinks his opinion is right and no one elses matters.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:24 pm

just about to start a topic like this lol :D, i had it all planned out aswell :angry:

Do you think it is time we had a video evidence panel in football? You know the one, like they have in cricket and rugby, if the ref is uncertain in a decision it goes to the panel. So what it may take 30 seconds to make a decision, but atleast you know you are going home not cheated. I've had enough of it now, not only becuase we had a disallowed goal against Bolton but it is happening all the time, apparently Everton should have had atleast 1 penalty today too.

Decisions like this can cost clubs alot of money, it could be the difference between fininshing 1st and 2nd or 17th and 18th. I think it is daft, we need this in football becuase too many teams are losing out on results.

Discuss..........
He comes from Spain and he doesn't speak good English,
But we don't care cos he'll turn us into winners,
The European Cup will be ours before he's finished,
Raaaaafaa Benitez!
Rafa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:51 pm

What about the elimination of the possibility of corruption and result fixing, a bent ref' would have no excuses with dodgey decisions.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby kindaconfuzed » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:03 pm

Redridder

I thought the grobelaar case had ended with him being guilty of perverting the cause of goolkeeping. :Oo:
kindaconfuzed
LFC Elite Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion