Now the boot room's gone - Was it time?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby lakes10 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:59 pm

now we have got ended the era of the liverpool boot room are you sad to see the back of it , for me  it is a shame they have all gone , liverpool always where ones of history in there staff , but i guess it was time to move on and if we go on to win somthing i am sure we can go on to build up a new history at liverpool
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:02 pm

alright lakes10. i agree. the following is a post which i posted back in june.

The time has come to embrace an entirely new ethos at Liverpool Football Club.  We haven't been playing fluent, cohesive football as a team for a long while.  We've always been reliant on Owen's goals, Gerrard's passes or Kewell's mazy runs.  I can remember just a handful of games last season where the team worked together well to break opponents down.  Our goals would come from a moment of brilliance from a 'leading player' but never from a blistering combination of one touch passes. 

Our reliance on these 'world class' superstars to win us games must come to an end.  It is clearly not a healthy attitude in today's money dominated football world to be so dependent on any individual.  If players are no longer going to show any form of loyalty to their club, it is time for Liverpool to adopt a new philosophy or perhaps I should say, revert to the old philosophy, of building a team ethic and system that can easily survive a quick turnover of players. 

I want to see Liverpool knock the ball about with confidence and verve, I want to see an understanding between players, and I want to see an adaptable system that all squad players can fit into.  Worrying myself stupid the night before a game, pondering whether Owen will be passed fit or if Gerrard can make the game because his wife is about to give birth is not what supporting a football team should be about.

We are fortunate to possess a talented group of players at our club who would benefit from playing a system of football they all fully comprehend and enjoy.  There has been a sense that the team lost its faith in the tactics employed, constantly fearing their opposition, ‘letting their heads drop’ and almost thinking themselves into precarious situations.  Countless occasions spring to mind where we had the attacking prowess to kill a team off but failed to do so only to suffer heartache in the dying minutes of a game. 

From what I have seen of Valencia and the exciting comments made by Benitez already, we may have discovered just the remedy to get us through the trials and tribulations of the Abramovich player-poaching era.  We have employed a man who has considerable and successful experience in dealing with the financial might of Real Madrid, a club I’m sure we all agree, has a great deal more influence than the nouveau riche and cultureless Chelsea.  The situation Benitez is in now is not unfamiliar to our new gaffer and we can feel comfortable in the knowledge that here we have a man, who faced with similar challenges, made the right choices and led his team to unprecedented success. 

It would be with a heavy heart that I bid farewell to some of the players I have idolised over recent seasons but this maybe the time for our club to re-evaluate its ideology in order to retain its place as one of the greatest football institutions of all time.

sums it up i think.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby lakes10 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:19 pm

nice post stmichael
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:29 pm

Eloquently put Saint..players are most certainly joinging the club now beacuse of the boss and the reputation he brings with him... Liverpool also have a history and tradition.. but modern tactics, shrewd acumen in the transfer market and sheer committemnt, are what under his tutelidge we can see and expect.

Indeed, he has said that he is only interested in signing players who are good and committed to the Red's cause.. he is using the history and traditions of the club as the selling point in transfer negotations.. what a guy!  :)
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:01 pm

It was my understanding that the bootroom "died" years ago.

The old bootroom line was broken when Graeme Souness was appointed. The appointment of Roy Evans was an attempt to re-forge the bootroom lineage but that failed.

Gerard Houllier's regime finally banished the bootroom ethos, in fact, he defiantly rebuffed Steve Morgan last spring by saying that the bootroom culture was dead and that Liverpool had to move on and adapt to the rigours of modern football. He stated that there would be no return to the old culture under his leadershiop.

I think the actual physical structure of the bootroom itself has long been discarded since the 1990s as the club moved everything out to Melwood.

I don't think that Benitez heralds the end of the "bootroom", its been gone for more than a decade now.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby lakes10 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:03 pm

JBG i guess you are right, i  supposed we still liked to beleve it was still there
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:38 pm

On a similar note, can somebody clarify if Steve Heighway is still with the club?
jonnymac1979

Postby lakes10 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:37 pm

i think he might still run the Academy of Football.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion