TOTTENHAM VS LIVERPOOL - Wed 12/11/08 19:45. whl, carling cup r4

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:18 pm

Ha! and what do I see 2 minutes later in The Times ?
++++

From The Times November 14, 2008

Liverpool lack title race strength in depth

Liverpool appear to have the best chance of ending their league title drought since Roy Evans's team fell away in the finishing straight in 1997, but their Carling Cup exit on Wednesday has revived concerns over their strength in depth. While their first XI looks formidable, the back-up players have struggled to match those standards, again falling short in the 4-2 defeat by Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane.

Fernando Torres and Daniel Agger were the only first-choice players in the Liverpool starting line-up on a night when Rafael Benítez's team suffered their second defeat away to Tottenham in 12 days. But whereas the visiting side were unfortunate to lose 2-1 in the Barclays Premier League, they were poor on their return to North London this week.

Agger, who was part of a defence that conceded three times shortly before the break to leave Liverpool 3-0 down at half-time, claimed afterwards that no trophies, Premier League or otherwise, would be going to Anfield if they continued to play in the same manner. “If you see the goals, it was the same problem every time and they speak for themselves,” the Denmark central defender said. “We conceded four bad goals and you cannot expect to do that and still get anything out of a game.

“Right now it's difficult to take any positives at all. That just wasn't good enough. We have to do better than this otherwise we won't achieve anything this season.”

Liverpool will hope that they can get through the season without many injuries to their leading players, but such a scenario might be less devastating for Arsenal. While their failure to win the Premier League over the past four years has been blamed partly on Arsène Wenger's reluctance to address weaknesses in his first XI by acquiring established top-class players, the manager can boast an abundance of riches in reserve.

The Premier League's “big four” rested most of their first-choice players in this week's Carling Cup fourth-round ties, but Arsenal recorded much the best result. Chelsea joined Liverpool in departing the competition, succumbing in a penalty shoot-out at home to Burnley, while Manchester United needed a late penalty by Carlos Tévez at Old Trafford to see off Queens Park Rangers, but Wenger's team steamrollered Wigan Athletic.

Arsenal's achievement was all the more impressive because their line-up featured a majority of what amounted to third-team players, whereas United and Liverpool had two each and Chelsea had none. Wenger also declined to pick any of his first-choice team, in contrast to Benítez, Luiz Felipe Scolari and Sir Alex Ferguson (although it could be argued that the United manager no longer considers Gary Neville to be his main right back, in which case the Scot also overlooked his entire first team).

Steve Bruce, the Wigan manager, described Arsenal's youngsters as “frightening” and admitted that “we got our backsides kicked by a very good team”. The six players who started at the Emirates Stadium but who would probably not make the club's second XI are Gavin Hoyte, Jack Wilshere, Mark Randall, Fran Mérida, Jay Simpson and Carlos Vela, teenagers all. Among them they provided the goals - two by Simpson and one by Vela - and two of the three assists.

Five of this half-dozen also started the 6-0 win over Sheffield United in the previous round. The only possible drawback for Arsenal fans is whether any of these players are ready to make a significant contribution to the present Premier League campaign. The answer to that question, and the depth of their rivals' reserve strength, may help to decide the destination of the title.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:37 pm

Isn't it funny tho, ok we wern't much kop(oh sorry for the pun) and we have been slaughtered for it by everyone as usual but i haven't heard anything against a Chelsea team that was more or less full strength.
I was watching the phone in on sky sports the other night and listened to talk sport yesterday and everyone slaughtered us and Chelsea went totally unnoticed and i was thinking it's our reserve team and chelsea first team against lower league opposition.

Yep as usual everyone looking for us to fall flat on our face.
roberto green

Postby Judge » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:39 pm

zarababe wrote:
Judge wrote:that result made you wish dirk was playing :D

:D  :laugh: lol YEsssssss  :laugh:

:wwww
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:58 pm

Reg wrote:Agger, who was part of a defence that conceded three times shortly before the break to leave Liverpool 3-0 down at half-time, claimed afterwards that no trophies, Premier League or otherwise, would be going to Anfield if they continued to play in the same manner. “If you see the goals, it was the same problem every time and they speak for themselves,” the Denmark central defender said. “We conceded four bad goals and you cannot expect to do that and still get anything out of a game.

That problem has a name and that name is Dossena.  Get shut, Rafa.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:54 pm

roberto green wrote:Isn't it funny tho, ok we wern't much kop(oh sorry for the pun) and we have been slaughtered for it by everyone as usual but i haven't heard anything against a Chelsea team that was more or less full strength.
I was watching the phone in on sky sports the other night and listened to talk sport yesterday and everyone slaughtered us and Chelsea went totally unnoticed and i was thinking it's our reserve team and chelsea first team against lower league opposition.

I dont discuss Chelsea ´cos I dont give a toss about them.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:07 pm

Reg wrote:
roberto green wrote:Isn't it funny tho, ok we wern't much kop(oh sorry for the pun) and we have been slaughtered for it by everyone as usual but i haven't heard anything against a Chelsea team that was more or less full strength.

I dont discuss Chelsea ´cos I dont give a toss about them.

Your missing the point i made Reg, I don't givwe it :censored: about Chelsea either but all we got from the neautrals was how bad our reserve team was and absoultly nothing about Chelsea and their defeat by a lower league team at home with first choice players
roberto green

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:16 pm

I hardly think you could could Chelsea's team anywhere near full strength

Cudicini
Ferrira
Alex
Ivanovic
Bridge ©
Mineiro
Kalou
Deco
Belletti
Malouda
Drogba
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby roberto green » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:25 pm

Ola Mr Benitez wrote:I hardly think you could could Chelsea's team anywhere near full strength

Cudicini
Ferrira
Alex
Ivanovic
Bridge ©
Mineiro
Kalou
Deco
Belletti
Malouda
Drogba

ok fair enough should of checked all the facts before i posted but i'm sure i saw frank lampard too and that team is a dam sight better than the players we fielded and they played lower league oposition.
roberto green

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:35 pm

Think Lampard came on as a sub when they where chasing the game
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby heimdall » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:03 pm

roberto green wrote:
Ola Mr Benitez wrote:I hardly think you could could Chelsea's team anywhere near full strength

Cudicini
Ferrira
Alex
Ivanovic
Bridge ©
Mineiro
Kalou
Deco
Belletti
Malouda
Drogba

ok fair enough should of checked all the facts before i posted but i'm sure i saw frank lampard too and that team is a dam sight better than the players we fielded and they played lower league oposition.

I agree Chelsea should be getting way more :censored: taken out of them for that defeat but as said who cares, I'm more annoyed by how bad we were.
I don't really give two sh1ts what other people think of Liverpool, it's all jealousy anyway.
heimdall

Postby Judge » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:33 pm

still peeved we lost to scrotumham
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:11 am

Judge wrote:still peeved we lost to scrotumham

:D
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Owzat » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:59 am

heimdall wrote:
roberto green wrote:

Cudicini
Ferrira
Alex
Ivanovic
Bridge ©
Mineiro
Kalou
Deco
Belletti
Malouda
Drogba

I agree Chelsea should be getting way more :censored: taken out of them for that defeat but as said who cares, I'm more annoyed by how bad we were.
I don't really give two sh1ts what other people think of Liverpool, it's all jealousy anyway.

The performances of the 'big four' :

Liverpool : changed 10 players, were playing AWAY to a PREMIERSHIP club whose league position is completely false and it is quite probable they will finish top half or near enough. I'd say they are arguably the fifth best club in England, albeit Ramos put them bottom. The saddest fact is we paid GK £3m, LB £7m, LM £11.5m, CM £5m, CF £1.5m, CB £5.8m, CB £2.6m and had our £20m+ star striker on the pitch and still managed to lose three goals in a short space of time without really looking a threat first half.

Chelsea : at HOME to a LOWER LEAGUE club, both are what you'd want in the cup and either one is better than neither. They still managed to make a mess of it, not like their opposition ever threaten to get promoted to the top flight

Man Utd : struggled to beat a LOWER LEAGUE club at HOME courtesy of a penalty. Are QPR still managerless?

Arsenal : perhaps the pick of the sides and results of the 'big four', albeit beating a moderate PREMIERSHIP club at HOME. They do this a lot, look amazing against non-descript opposition, notice how they went from scoring six to just three and if they play a decent side like spudz with the same sides they'll get beat. I'd love to see them draw the mancs and both put out their reserves.

I have read and heard a huge load of rubbish about Liverpool based on our exit out of the Carling Cup. Basically the idiots are suggesting we won't challenge for the league because of the quality of that second string. I agree we wouldn't win the league if we played that XI most of the season, BUT we'd have to lose about five or six first choice players to injury before we'd be close to it and if we lost Carragher, Gerrard, Kuyt, Alonso, Reina and Riera then duh, of course we'd be in trouble. BUT again, so would Chelsea, Man Utd and Arsenal if they lost :

Man Utd : say Vidic, Ronaldo, Carrick, Giggs, Van Der Sar and Tevez

Chelsea : say Terry, Lampard, J.Cole, Essien, Cech and Deco

Arsenal : say Toure, Fabregas, Nasri, Rosicky, Almunia and Adebayor

Or players anyone deems as six of their most important players, I've even shyed away from naming their very best six players but arguably that is what those six of our's I named are to the team - less Torres who played. We're already without Skrtel, probably cancels out the absence of one or two I named for the others like Rosicky who are out. SIX players is half a team, any side missing half their first XI would struggle to maintain a challenge without a top squad - which I suggest only Chelsea really have. The mancs may have some good players in reserve, but without just Rooney and Ronaldo they are very ordinary indeed. They need to get shot of Giggs, Scholes, Neville and Van Der Sar as they're getting old and a liability - to such a point losing them could cost them less in terms of points/trophies than persisting with them
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:00 pm

Jammy mancs got a home draw again. The goners drew Burnley away which could be a tester as Burnley are in good form and just humbled the mighty chavski. And long throw merchants got Derby at home, that should be dull. I hear Decrap couldn't get his run up at old toilet because the mancs put the hoardings in the way! :laugh: Would there be any justice if that lot got into the semis or even to wembley?!?!

We'd have got relegation threatened Watford had we played a slightly better side and played a lot better too
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion