Steven gerrard's top five goals - Hail the master blaster

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:56 pm

Opportunity to recall some of the great goals Stevie has scored in recent years:

Steven Gerrard's Top Five Goals

Liverpool's Steven Gerrard has scored a few top-class goals in his time, such as the second against Marseille in the Champions League last night -and they're often at the most crucial moments. Here's five of his best:

By Telegraph staff   17 Sep 2008

5: LIVERPOOL 2-1 SOUTHAMPTON - 2001

There are almost too many goals vying for this place to choose from, but everyone loves a goal that rifles in off of the crossbar. Gerrard's 35-yard dipper did just that, leaving Paul Jones with no chance.

4: LIVERPOOL 3-3 MILAN (3-2 on pens) - 2005

At half-time in the Champions League final, Liverpool were 3-0 down, and being given odds of 100-1 to recover. Gerrard single-handedly began the fight-back, frantically waving his arms, inspiring the crowd and exhorting cramp-stricken team-mates to screw their courage to the sticking place. Leading by example, he scored in the 54th minute, one of the most inspiring demonstrations of determination and belief in Champions League history. As Jamie Carraghe said: "The first goal gave us hope." While his header is not one of the most aesthetic goals in this list - its magnitude is unsurpassed.

3: LIVERPOOL 1-1 MIDDLESBROUGH - 2005

Technically speaking, this goal against Middlesbrough is Gerrard's finest, sweetest strike. Chesting the ball down before firing a looping volley into the top corner from 35 yards, Gerrard's skill is there for all to see. However, because of the suspicious number of stunning goals that Gerrard has scored under the most pressing of circumstances, and because this goal lacked importance and only earned Liverpool a draw, it must be relegated to third place.

2: LIVERPOOL 3-1 OLYMPIAKOS - 2004

Not only did this goal render Andy Gray almost speechless, an extraordinary feat in itself, it made Liverpool's Champions League victory in Istanbul possible, as victory by only one goal over Olympiacos would have left Liverpool out of the competition. Gerrard had already declared he was uninterested in the Uefa Cup as consolation, and as time ran out, the midfielder proved it by stepping up to fire home perhaps his most significant goal in a Liverpool shirt.

1: LIVERPOOL 3-3 WEST HAM (3-1 on pens) – 2006

As AC Milan and Olympiakos have experienced, Steven Gerrard stiffens the sinews and scores his most scintillating goals at the most crucial of moments. Add West Ham to the list of those who have had triumph snatched away, against all odds, by the Liverpool captain. In the 2006 FA Cup final, West Ham were leading 3-2 at the end of normal play. Just as four minutes of extra time was announced, Gerrard pounced with a stock in trade driven strike from outside the area. Gerrard himself calls this his best goal ever – enough said.

Take a bow son.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:29 pm

Where to start?

He could easily fill a Top 20 with 'special' strikes. Though in terms of importance, the obvious states itself. Personally i loved these few:

(in order)

1. vs Olympiakos (just the sheer drama of it)
2. vs West Ham (likewise)
3. vs A.C Milan (nuff said)
4. vs Man Utd (THAT screamer past Barthez)
5. vs Middlesboro (great control)
6. vs Newcastle (the one that went in like an arrow along the ground)

You could go on and on...last nights were'nt too shabby either. Great player and a good Skipper at the end of the day.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby metalhead » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:42 pm

1. vs Olympiakos, that goal woke up my neighbors  :D
2. vs AC Milan(Istanbul), inspired us.
3. vs West Ham (FA.Cup Final), A beauty of a goal in the last minutes of the game
4. vs Boro, classic goal
5. vs Derby, he started it from 60 yards, then ended it.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:47 pm

There's that one off the bar against Southampton at home ages ago as well.

If he continues the footy he's played since he's started til the end of his career,
scoring the goals as he has done in the past; surely he'll have to go down as the
best player ever for LFC.

He's the nearest thing you'll get to Roy of The Rovers.
Last edited by Effes on Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lefteyesupernova » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:56 pm

I think his finest is that screamer against Manure
Lefteyesupernova

Postby Toffeehater » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:55 pm

1) His finest has to be the one gainst westham , absolute top draw from the captain , 90 minutes when most would have given up hope , stevie pulls a :censored: rabit outta the hat .

2) Olympiakos , need i say more . You :censored: beauty !

3) Superb shot against Boro , lovely chest control and a great dipping shot .

4) Yesterday against OM , he had to pull his body back and still bend it , keeper bought a ticket and was a spectator .

5) Manchester united , what a cracker .

6) Ac Milan , absolute inspriation from stevie !
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:56 am

you need to add the goal against marseille :)
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Dotty » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:04 am

Sure most of you have already done this but, for those of you like me that wanted to see some of SG best then please have a look at this youtube link

"How hard GERR ARD"

quality :bowdown

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FoxQm4oUhx0
image001.gif
Red Dotty

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:36 am

I think Effes has summed Stevie G up perfectly when he says that he's the closest thing we'll ever see to Roy of the Rovers.
It's a compliment to him that I have to admit that there are that many moments of shear quality that I can't even remember some of them listed above.

Surely he'll be remembered up there in years to come with the likes of Dalglish, Rush, Keegan and Liddell. It wouldn't surprise me either if he went on to do it all over again as a manager as well!!!

STEVIE G :bowdown
Last edited by RUSHIE#9 on Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben1988 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:43 pm

For me it has to be the olympiakos goal.

It was my best night at Anfield........ i'll remember it forever. Had to sit in the Anny road end, was sat next to the two seat material divide, with a skinny spotty scouse lad as my security haha. The greeks were going mad all first half it was sooooo good to ramm it back down there throats when Gerrard scored, ther wasn't enough space to express how awesome it was. Some massive fella who id never met lifted me up in the air giving me a hug he was lost in the emotion that much. Dont think you could experience an atmosphere with another club anywhere in the world. Best night of my footballling life untill we won it in istanbul, but i was in the pub that night, all though it was great, it wasn't the same as experiencing it live.

Yoouuuuuuuuu beauty.... what a hit what a hit son. :bowdown
Ben1988

Postby metalhead » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:41 am

top 20 stevie goals

I found a nice vid of top 20 stevie goals. Although I disagree with the rankings of some goals in the vid, the vid shows alot memorable goals from stevie.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion