Driving licence - Important reading for photo licencensee

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Owzat » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:04 pm

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/12092008/36/drivers-face-fines-expired-licences-0.html

Drivers face fines for expired licences

A massive 300,000 photo card licences are due to expire in the next 12 months, yet a significant proportion of drivers are unaware that the new photo-style licences require updating every 10 years.

Unlike the superseded paper licence, which was valid 'for life', the new identity card versions feature a 'valid until' date, at which time motorists must shell out an extra £17.50 for a new card. It's thought that a lot of drivers are not aware of this requirement.

This summer marked the 10th anniversary of the introduction of the new photo card licence and of the cards due for update a massive 28% are still outstanding, according to the DVLA. These drivers could face a £1,000 fine if asked to surrender the licence.

Though the expiry date is printed on the front of the photo cards, it can only be identified as such when the owner turns the card over and reads the small print.

Making matters more confusing is the presence on the back of the cards of a date until which time the motorists is registered to hold the licence - their 70th birthday.

According to the DVLA, reminders will now be sent to drivers with photo cards due to expire, while the Association of British Insurers has confirmed that insurance cover is unaffected by an expired photo card.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:34 pm

i've still got one of the old paper ones. it looks like part of one of the dead sea scrolls now, every time i touch it another bit falls off.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:42 pm

I must have been one of the last to get the old paper license then if the photo ones are 10 years old, I passed in January 98 and was well pissed off when I found out I was getting a crappie paper one instead of the new photo ones.

Well it looks like I'm having the last laugh now!!! :D
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:20 pm

andy_g wrote:i've still got one of the old paper ones. it looks like part of one of the dead sea scrolls now, every time i touch it another bit falls off.

Thats what mine looks like. Its hold together by sellotape and barely readable. :D
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ste123lfc » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:39 pm

I got a photo licence in 1999 when I moved house and this replaced my old paper one, but there is no valid until date on it.

I did get it off ebay though  :D
From Shankly to Brendan we follow our team, Rome to Istanbul we've all lived the dream. Our journey is long, our goal stays the same, to keep for our children the famous red name.
ste123lfc
LFC Super Member

Return to General Chat Forum