Stoke interested in hyypia

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:14 pm

It's not just on the pitch that Sami will be useful to us, he's know got a decade of experience in the Premiership and that experience can be well used to teach and nurture the young talent coming through so that when Carra retires and if Agger or Skrtel (or god forbid) both left got injured the youngsters would have the wisdom of Hyypia to help guide them when they step up.
Last edited by RUSHIE#9 on Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fo Dne » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:22 pm

Why does everyone assume good players will become great coaches and "valuable" to have around.

What makes people think for a second Sami would want to stay here as a coach either.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby ConnO'var » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:41 pm

After all he's done for the club, 2.5 million is not too high an amount to lose. He's proved that he can still more than do the job for us. Fantastic servant of the club.... would be a poor way to reward all those years of sterling service by selling him now. For me, there is still room for sentiment in today's game for those who deserve it....

UNLESS he wants to go or somebody stumped up a lot more money... I can think of no reason to release our big Finn. As dundalk pointed out, there's no guarantee we can buy the same quality of cover for 2.5 million quid that Sammi provides now.

Right move to reject Stoke's offer IMHO.
ConnO'var

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:46 pm

£19 million for Hyppia and not a penny less. Tell 'em Rafa - "£19 million or sling ya hook"

well, every other team do it to us when we show interest in a player
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:27 pm

Owzat wrote:
Sabre wrote:In a way, we could say that we can use thos 2.5M for instance to pay the difference for Barry.

But, I truly believe Hyypia deserves to end his career in Liverpool, with all the honours. It's a emotional reason, I know.

I like Sami, don't ever get me wrong on that score (anyone), but he's never been the quickest and £2.5m + is a lot of money over sentimentality. It would be a shame if he missed a league winners medal, but I can't see it happening this season. (would be an unprecedented in Premiership terms)

He could always come back as a coach, maybe as a manager one day. It must be hard for him, to decide between the club he loves and frustration at not playing all the time, and playing regularly for a club like Stoke.

We could always loan him to Stoke, with recourse to recall him if needed. It's not as if he'd be cup tied in Europe!

u h8 him
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:15 am

Well 2.5 million is not a bad price for a bloke Sami's age, but we'd need to replace him (simply because you need four centre halves). If we haven't already got one that nobody's heard of yet (and I'm assuming we haven't or someone on here would have highlighted him) then the chances of us finding another one for 2.5 million quid are pretty near zero I should think. With that in mind, I'd keep him. That said, Sylvestre probably could have done it and cost less but whatever, I'd keep Sami.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:02 am

Stoke offering a 2.5 million bid shocker! F*ck off, Stoke. Cheeky b@stards, yas!
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:20 am

bigmick wrote:Well 2.5 million is not a bad price for a bloke Sami's age, but we'd need to replace him (simply because you need four centre halves). If we haven't already got one that nobody's heard of yet (and I'm assuming we haven't or someone on here would have highlighted him) then the chances of us finding another one for 2.5 million quid are pretty near zero I should think. With that in mind, I'd keep him. That said, Sylvestre probably could have done it and cost less but whatever, I'd keep Sami.

sylvestre of ManUtd ?
well they wouldnt have sold im to us. But even if they did i still think Hyypia is a far better CB than sylvestre ever was. On the other hand id start Sylvestre on the left ahead of any of the guys we have in all honesty. At his best, he was one of the best iv seen in his position in this league.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:29 am

Actually come to think about, Corluka might be available. I read somewhere that Tottenham are apparently interested in signing him. If we can get Corluka then i wouldnt mind Hyypia or even Finnan for all that matters leaving as he can obviously play in both positions. He would be a great signing and i think we are going to have to sort that right fullback position sooner or later so better sign someone who is quality and still young.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Laci » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:27 am

I'm glad the offer was turned down. 2.5 mil is good money for a player his age, but we simply still need him as cover if one of our defenders get injured. He was very good last season when Agger got injured, he was probably better than Carra. Sami still has it in him and I'm very happy hes still here.
Laci

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:00 pm

RUSHIE#9 wrote:I'm not surprised that this bid has been turned down really as Rafa clearly still see's Sami having a part to play. He chose to start with the big man last saturday when we were all expecting to see the Carra/Agger partnership resurrected, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him in the starting 11 again tomorrow really.

At £2.5m for a player who is a couple of months away from his 35th birthday it would have been a good deal for us.
Sami though has been a fantastic servant to the club and like Sabre I think he deserves to finish his career (if he so chooses) at the club with a testimonial.

:nod , spot on .

Sami Hypia , Legend  :bowdown
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fo Dne » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:16 pm

aCe' wrote:Actually come to think about, Corluka might be available. I read somewhere that Tottenham are apparently interested in signing him. If we can get Corluka then i wouldnt mind Hyypia or even Finnan for all that matters leaving as he can obviously play in both positions. He would be a great signing and i think we are going to have to sort that right fullback position sooner or later so better sign someone who is quality and still young.

He's no Micah Richards like, but thats a good shout. Good player and far better than anything we have down that side.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby SupitsJonF » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:41 pm

"We have had an approach from Stoke about Sami - but we want to keep him," Benitez added.

"When we talked about a new contract in the summer, it was clear that Sami wanted to stay at the club.

"He is a fantastic professional, a very nice person and a great player. He is not a player we want to sell."
SupitsJonF

Postby Owzat » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:47 am

bigmick wrote:Well 2.5 million is not a bad price for a bloke Sami's age, but we'd need to replace him (simply because you need four centre halves). If we haven't already got one that nobody's heard of yet (and I'm assuming we haven't or someone on here would have highlighted him) then the chances of us finding another one for 2.5 million quid are pretty near zero I should think. With that in mind, I'd keep him. That said, Sylvestre probably could have done it and cost less but whatever, I'd keep Sami.

Or look at it the other way, we're going to have to replace Sami sooner or later, might as well have £2.5m towards it than zip...................
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion