Carlsberg axes s*n promotion - Forced by our fans

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Emerald Red » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:53 pm

Not sure if this has even been posted  anywhere else on these boards, but it's pretty much a big deal and has been causing a bit of controversy over the past few days. If you haven't been following the thread over on RAWK, this is what all the fuss was over here.

Having received an inundation of complaints from our fans (for obvious reasons) Carlsberg have issued a statement that the promotion with the S*n will no longer take place in the coming bank holiday as reported here in The Echo.

Liverpool fans' fury Carlsberg forces u-turn

Aug 15 2008 by Luke Traynor, Liverpool Echo

CARLSBERG today scrapped a promotion with The Sun newspaper after a furious backlash from Liverpool fans.

The Danish brewer had planned to link up with the tabloid newspaper to give readers a free pint over this month’s bank holiday weekend.

But the move was met with derision from some Liverpool fans, who were angry the club’s shirt sponsor was working with a newspaper hated by many in Merseyside.

Reds’ supporters still boycott The Sun because of its coverage of the 1989 Hillsborough disaster, in which 96 Liverpool fans died.

Carlsberg were today holding emergency talks ahead of a formal decision to axe the promotion.

Fans’ groups had written to Anfield officials asking for their thoughts on the decision, suggesting Carlsberg’s sponsorship of the club is reviewed.

A spokesman for supporters union The Spirit Of Shankly said: “Carlsberg could have made a more careful choice.

“Lots of people were saying they should not sponsor us if they are doing things like this.

“There is no bigger issue for most Liverpool fans than Hillsborough and The Sun, and sensitivity was called for.

Now on .TV

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160927080815-1439.htm

Thanks, Rick. Thanks for pulling all the stops out for making this happen, and thanks for going on to report it and making yourself out to be the hero. You f*cking to$ser!
Last edited by Emerald Red on Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:24 pm

but... but.... but...  what about me free pint?

only joking.  :D
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:29 pm

Fair play to them for dropping it but what the hell are they thinking in the first place
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:54 pm

Dundalk wrote:Fair play to them for dropping it but what the hell are they thinking in the first place

Who knows. I'm sure a company of that size has all kinds of devisions, and their marketing directors were probably not aware of the boycott and affiliations we have with the rag. believe it or not, the logo on their main UK site had had a Liverpool crest with the S*n's logo behind it. It was removed quickly once additional complaints were made about it. Some c*nt working for them has seriously been on a wind-up with that.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tommycockles » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:11 pm

Well i think i'll have a pint of Carsberg this weekend just to thank them for dropping their promotion!!
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:08 pm

Rick parry the Saviour :D
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:41 pm

As curious as it may be to some, not everyone in the entire world is aware of the situation between LFC and the SUN. Carlsberg no doubt hired some marketing firm to do this promo and just didn't put 2 and 2 together. At least they dropped the promo, which probably cost them a load of money, so lets give them some credit.
heimdall

Postby Rush Job » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:53 pm

Dundalk wrote:Fair play to them for dropping it but what the hell are they thinking in the first place

I know mate, theyve been our sponsor for how long? You would think they'd be better informed.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:13 pm

That scum of a rag knows exactly what its doing and what the outcome of this would of been, so it makes you wonder why they even attempted it, maybe to keep sticking the knife it instead of letting it rest, fooking w@nkers
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:32 pm

heimdall wrote:As curious as it may be to some, not everyone in the entire world is aware of the situation between LFC and the SUN. Carlsberg no doubt hired some marketing firm to do this promo and just didn't put 2 and 2 together. At least they dropped the promo, which probably cost them a load of money, so lets give them some credit.

I'm going to be less forgiving and say that; given that they've been our sponsors since 1992, and given the stance of the club and its supporters in relation to the S*n, it's incomprehensible how they could've even contemplated this promotion. The person(s) who works for Carslberg who came across this idea/ratified it, without raising alarm, should be sacked.
LFC2007

Postby neil » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:42 pm

J*o*n*D*o*e wrote:That scum of a rag knows exactly what its doing and what the outcome of this would of been, so it makes you wonder why they even attempted it, maybe to keep sticking the knife it instead of letting it rest, fooking w@nkers

QFT
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:00 am

neil wrote:
J*o*n*D*o*e wrote:That scum of a rag knows exactly what its doing and what the outcome of this would of been, so it makes you wonder why they even attempted it, maybe to keep sticking the knife it instead of letting it rest, fooking w@nkers

QFT

Too true, there greatest kick in the teeth before this has been the capture of Chris Bascombe. Yes it is for the news of the world but it is, after all, its sister paper. Scummy b@stards the lot of them.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redhayesy » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:29 pm

heimdall wrote:As curious as it may be to some, not everyone in the entire world is aware of the situation between LFC and the SUN. Carlsberg no doubt hired some marketing firm to do this promo and just didn't put 2 and 2 together. At least they dropped the promo, which probably cost them a load of money, so lets give them some credit.

they also need to drop the fecking marketing firm who they hired &
whoever at carlsberg is in charge of hiring marketing needs his or her"s fecking arsed kicked so this type of thing never happens again. feck the issue it might of cost them a load of money - it"s the principle involved.
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion