The nightmare game - What you remember the most.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby lakes10 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:34 am

Liverpool  0 Arsenal 2 1989
I was standing in the Kop and have never seen so many men start to cry at the same time.

Liverpool 3 Crystal Palace 4 (FA Cup semi)
On the way to the game i was saying that we was going to win 9-0 again.........oops.

liverpool 0-0 norwich
the was the weekend after the 9-0 game.
I took my friend to his first Liverpool game.
The train got us there at 9 am. and we spent hours in the club shop buying stuff, we put our bags behind the Kop (a policeman said he would look after them). someone peed on my mates leg (that was funny) and then after the game we tried to get our bags back only to see 3 kids running up the kop with them (my mate had also left all his money and train pass in his bag), as the kids run up the Kop they saw us and on fell over and this gave as the time we needed to get our bags back.

on the way home on the trian we stopped alongside a train of Millwall fans, we opend the window to ask how they got on (I think they had lost to Man u 4-0). our train pulled into Euston and as we got off we heard about 500 Millwall fans running down the tracks to us.
As we got to the station floor a policeman told us to stop running, I turned to him and said " Millwall are coming and there about 500 of them and there only 20 of us" the policeman looked up the track and turned and run out of the station.
we got to the tube just as one Millwall pulled a knife just as the tube train door shut in his face, i turned to my mate and said we are safe now, and just at the point the doors opened again, the Millwall fan was a bit shocked by this and by the time he tried to get in they had shut again. all the time i had been running with big bags of stuff from the club shop, the more i run the more i was laughing and the slower i had been getting.

we we was safe i turned to look at my mate. He was white as a ghost and shaking lol
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DavvaMak » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:53 pm

liverpool v spartak moscow from 1992, we got beat 2-0. it was the straw that broke the camels back for me as it was the last meaningful game i attended after 7 years solid standing on the kop, spending my yts money (all 29.50) every week funding the :censored: that was the souness era.

apart from taking nephews to fa cup and mickey mouse cup games i've not been back since, but that is more due to finances and european satellite channels than anything.

the 2-0 to arsenal and the 1-0 to wombledon were bad but we still had hope for the next season, the souness era just left me drained every week, i almost considered watching the bule sh.ite for some light relief and a bit of comedy :D  :D
Last edited by DavvaMak on Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavvaMak

Postby Sean » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:54 pm

The 0-2 defeat to Arsenal in '89.  Why o why didn't John Barnes just take the ball into the corner and see the time out ?

1985 F.A. Cup semi final replay when he mancs beat us 2-1 also comes to mind.  Strange how even the goals from that game are never replayed on t.v....not that I need reminding of the game !
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:30 pm

Being positive for a moment to lift the gloom and seeing Sean´s avatar, reoccuring high points were always watching Bob Paisley interviews, preferably at home or at the club where he was relaxed and witty. What a great guy, what a gentleman. Still miss ya Bob.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:31 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
dawson99 wrote:cant remember as i was drunk but against manure, we were 1-0 up i think with like 5 mins to go, and we still lost... and i knew i was gonna happen. never been more gutted... must have been 10-15 years ago

Do you mean the FA cup game when Owen scored away at Old Trafford and they got 2 in the last few minutes ?
I remember that, Solskjaer put in a shocker of a tackle on Hyypia, he had to go off and have stitches in his foot and while he was off they equalised  :angry:

that's the game for me because i was there. that was the last time i actually cried at us losing a football match i was that devastated. we actually defended brilliantly for 89 minutes but it just wasn't meant to be.

fate was conspiring for the mancs that season to win the treble. they scored twice in injury time to beat us in that game. went on to play arsenal in the semis (schmeichel saves a last minute penalty which would have put them out). and then worst of all they score two injury time goals to win the champions league after getting battered by bayern for 90 minutes.

further back than tha, there are too many to mention from the souness era. losing at home to bolton and bristol city in the fa cup come to mind. also, being 4-1 down to chesterfield in a league cup tie at home and scraping a 4-4- draw.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Effes » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:34 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
dawson99 wrote:cant remember as i was drunk but against manure, we were 1-0 up i think with like 5 mins to go, and we still lost... and i knew i was gonna happen. never been more gutted... must have been 10-15 years ago

Do you mean the FA cup game when Owen scored away at Old Trafford and they got 2 in the last few minutes ?
I remember that, Solskjaer put in a shocker of a tackle on Hyypia, he had to go off and have stitches in his foot and while he was off they equalised  :angry:

In that game, G Neville ran to our end spitting and goading the Liverpool fans.

A thoroughly obnoxious man.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:44 pm

Effes wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:

In that game, G Neville ran to our end spitting and goading the Liverpool fans.

A thoroughly obnoxious man.

A thoroughly obnoxious minuscule  man ,in point of fact he is that small in real life, I cant help wondering how he carries the weight of his nose ,rumors  are his nose arrives at training 5mins before he doe's. :D
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby rafa09 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:22 pm

deffo athens 2007 got a villa in crete for the week my boss got a last minute flight 3 of us went took replica big ears with us arrived crete tues sailed to pireaus up to symagtica sq then vodafone fun day in a park somewhere lent big ears to vodafone in exchange for tkt the b@@@@rds broke handle off it.Watched final KEWELL :angry: deverstated by result slept in streets in athens sailed back to crete friday and it :censored: down all week.so taking mitagating circumstances into consideration definatly NIGHTMARE GAME :(  :(
rafa09

Postby Dalglish » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:26 pm

Nightmare games .......... where do I start ! ???

I've cried after 3 games so lets start with them............

1977 FA Cup Final - Outplayed the Mancs  yet they scored 2 scrawpy goals. I blubbered like a baby. I was 11 at the time and its around that age when you begin to realise how important football and in particular your team are to you.

1989 - The "thomas" game. Everyone associated with LFC were emotionally wrung out after the events of Hillsborough and it culminated in losing the title in the final moments of the final game of the season. The FA did us no favours making us play 4 games in 10 days including the FA Cup Final against Everton. To be nonest it was a minr miracle that we got within touching distance of Arsenal who were 18pts clear of us in early April.

1999 FA Cup tie against the Mancs. We defended like heroes and held a 1-0 lead until the last few moments. I was 33 at the time but blubbered like a baby ...........again !

The nightmare games when i haven't cried but just shook my head in a mixture of shock and shame would have to include the Burnley FA tie a couple of seasons ago. The original fixture was postponed but we actually played better in that one that was called off than when we succumbed to a very ordinary Burnley side with a Traore OG and Nunez sending off .....
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:37 pm

It's strange. I never have nightmares about football. Never dreamt to be spanked by the archenemy and things like that.

Besides many already mentioned in this thread, the game in which I ended up most angry was the games we played against Benfica a couple of seasons back. Very fustrating to be beaten by IMHO an inferior team.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion