Owen vs viera - The value of a long term contract.....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Pool Boy » Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:24 pm

This weeks events have shown how a club can protect itself against being held to the brink by making sure players are tied to long term contracts. Imagine if the situation was reversed and Owen still had two years to run on his contract and Viera had 10 months left. There's no doubt we would have been in a stronger position to resist his sale and Viera would be brushing up on Spanish.

The Owen story only broke on Monday and by Friday he is gone while Viera has been humming and hawing since June. Granted the respective position of each club has to be taken into account ( Premier league champions vs 4th place-barely) but it goes to show that lessons weren't learnt from Mac
Manaman.

Where do we go from here....we obviously now need a new striker as well as CM, RM and CD....but do we have the budget for it.....I reckon we'll carry on with the strikeforce we have until January and see what position we are in then....also might we not get Morientes cheaper now that he is cup tied...think lomg term....not just the season ahead....."the road is long"
Pool Boy

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:35 pm

We do have Diouf, Mellor and Le Tallec at our disposal, so we could risk not spending on a striker this seaon. I don't think Benitez will settle for any of them, however, so I expect a signing in the next few weeks up front.

So long as the right midfield is addressed, Carra and Hyypia will be able to do a job in central defence for the time being, so I'm not excessively worried about the back line in the short term. There's also the option of Josemi deputising, and then Finnan can move back to right back. Thankfully, although we don't have massive depth in the squad at the moment, we do at least have a bit of versatility. With a couple of new midfielders arriving, we should in fact be okay until January, by which time Rafa will have had chance to eye up some Premiership talent.
ivor_the_injun

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion