A sunday six - It returns!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JoeTerp » Mon May 19, 2008 1:42 am

Have we really been linked that strongly with David Bentley? I know a lot people sort of want him because he is English, familiar a decent, but I haven't seen a lot of stuff in the rumor mill that seemed serious about us getting him. So far it just seems like Deegen and Barry, I think even the de la Red rumor had more behind it than anything I have read about us and Bentley. What kind of prices are people talking about?
JoeTerp

Postby Kharhaz » Mon May 19, 2008 2:24 am

1: Fantasy Rafa time. You can sign any 3 players this summer, so who would they be? Try and keep it realistic (whatever that means!).

Thierry Henry. Getting on but can still do a job for us. Nobody else springs to mind for me. David Villa but we dont have much chance of getting him and Van Persie would be another unrealistic one.

2: Of all the players that we've been linked with already this summer (all 3 days of it!), who excites you the most?

None.

3: Gaining talent means that shedding weight is inevitable. So is there any player (or players) in the current squad that you would like to see heading elsewhere?

Voronin, Riise and Kewell.

4: Torres and Gerrard seem to have formed a great partnership in attack. Do you want to see a partner striker for Torres come in even if this means losing the Gerrard relationship, or do you think we can find someone who will improve the duo even further?

Its not a case of losing the quality we have its a case of signing the quality to add. Can we attract the best despite winning nothing this year?

5: What was your favourite LFC moment from the 07/08 season?

When england failed to qualify for the championships. As a club we almost always seem to get a bum deal, LFC face the big teams after one of these tournaments and look knackered when we face chelsea, utd or arsenal away at the start of the fixtures. Spain and holland are not going anywhere near the semis so we dont have to worry about torres, alonso or babel. Of course thats just my opinion.

6: Who will you be supporting (or looking out for) in this summer's Euro championships? And do you think there are any players who are really going to shine in this tournament?

I'll be looking out for our players but thats it.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Mon May 19, 2008 2:30 am

It's hard to gauge a price Joe; when the player is English the price seems to go
up 25%+ or even more if he's played for England.
I think we'd be able to get him for £15M at the most.

There have been various newspapers linking us to him at various times.
I think even the liverpool Echo, which is quite reliable.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Mon May 19, 2008 2:35 am

JoeTerp wrote:Have we really been linked that strongly with David Bentley? I know a lot people sort of want him because he is English, familiar a decent, but I haven't seen a lot of stuff in the rumor mill that seemed serious about us getting him. So far it just seems like Deegen and Barry, I think even the de la Red rumor had more behind it than anything I have read about us and Bentley. What kind of prices are people talking about?

Link
LFC2007

Postby Kharhaz » Mon May 19, 2008 2:43 am

LFC2007 wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:Have we really been linked that strongly with David Bentley? I know a lot people sort of want him because he is English, familiar a decent, but I haven't seen a lot of stuff in the rumor mill that seemed serious about us getting him. So far it just seems like Deegen and Barry, I think even the de la Red rumor had more behind it than anything I have read about us and Bentley. What kind of prices are people talking about?

Link

Like joe said, nothing concrete linking us with him is there?
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Mon May 19, 2008 2:51 am

Nope.
LFC2007

Postby Effes » Mon May 19, 2008 3:23 am

I would sell Xabi to get Arshavin.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Mon May 19, 2008 5:27 am

The Ace1983 wrote:Ok, haven't done one of these in a while, but here goes:

1: Fantasy Rafa time. You can sign any 3 players this summer, so who would they be? Try and keep it realistic (whatever that means!).

2: Of all the players that we've been linked with already this summer (all 3 days of it!), who excites you the most?

3: Gaining talent means that shedding weight is inevitable. So is there any player (or players) in the current squad that you would like to see heading elsewhere?

4: Torres and Gerrard seem to have formed a great partnership in attack. Do you want to see a partner striker for Torres come in even if this means losing the Gerrard relationship, or do you think we can find someone who will improve the duo even further?

6: Who will you be supporting (or looking out for) in this summer's Euro championships? And do you think there are any players who are really going to shine in this tournament?

Have fun!

1. Joachim, Barry, Owen - All the above for 30 million? maybe 35..

2. Excited is the wrong word. I have heard of no signing that makes me excited, however out of all of them I am happiest with the Barry rumour.

3. Guthrie, Carson, Arbeloa, Risse to name but a few.

4. Yes. To say we dont need another forward just because we have Stevie is nonsence; even stupid if you ask me. Stevie is best deployed in midfield, getting in tackles and bombing forward. Fernando needs a strike partner. We were probably 15 to 20 goals short last term, they need to come from somewhere.

5. Stuffing the Gooners in the Champions League

6. Spain
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SundanceKid » Mon May 19, 2008 8:24 am

You all bash Pennant a bit too much. He's possibly the best player on our team at crossing the ball in.
"Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool red"
SundanceKid

Postby SundanceKid » Mon May 19, 2008 8:33 am

1: Huntelaar, Arshavin, Berbatov.

2: Barry. I heard some talk about Huntelaar back in the winter if that counts. 

3: Riise, Kewell, and Crouch [Love him, but he's losing his value]

4: Keep Torres and Gerrard relationship, but sign new partner just in case their relationship gets shut down

5: Too hard. 2-1 on Everton, Besiktas, Torres' goal against Arsenal in CL. 

6: Spain and Netherlands. Torres is going to shine. And I love nearly every member of the Netherlands national team.
"Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool red"
SundanceKid

Postby account deleted by request » Mon May 19, 2008 9:12 am

crazyhorse wrote:

Have fun!

2. Excited is the wrong word. I have heard of no signing that makes me excited, however out of all of them I am happiest with the Barry rumour.

4. Yes. To say we dont need another forward just because we have Stevie is nonsence; even stupid if you ask me. Stevie is best deployed in midfield, getting in tackles and bombing forward. Fernando needs a strike partner. We were probably 15 to 20 goals short last term, they need to come from somewhere.

6. Spain

I agree with most of this mate - I would prefer Spain to go out early so our players have less time to get injured, and don't come home tired though. Maybe throw in a creative second striker if Owen can't/won't come.

I don't think we can afford to gamble on Torres remaining injury free all season, and the thought of Kuyt or even Babel having to lead the line doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.
Plus its always an advantage to have the choice of throwing a good striker on if we are a goal down (unlikely as that may seem :D )

ps I presume you meant Joaquín - Julian Joachim wasn't that good even in his prime  :D
Last edited by account deleted by request on Mon May 19, 2008 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby Scottbot » Mon May 19, 2008 4:03 pm

The Ace1983 wrote:I'd get shot of Ok, haven't done one of these in a while, but here goes:

Have fun!

1/ Arshavin, Lahm (LB) and Xavier Zanetti (RB)

2/ None of them excite me :-(

3/ I'd get shot of Pennant, Riise, Voronin, Kuyt, Kewell and Itjande

4/ Mix it up a bit. Gerrard doesn't have to play there every week particulalry if we go 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1. Stick Arshavin in there.

5/ Can't beat Gerrard scroing that penalty against Arsenal in the Champions League.

6/ I'll be cheering on Spain because of our players but with England not qualifying I will be wishing the tournament to just hurry up and finish.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon May 19, 2008 4:21 pm

Have fun!

1) villa, joaquin, vicente
2) none
3) kewell, itandge, crouch, riise, voronin, pennant
4) find someone else
5) beating arsenal
6) spain
maypaxvobiscum

Postby crazyhorse » Tue May 20, 2008 7:44 am

s@int wrote:
crazyhorse wrote:

Have fun!

6. Spain

I agree with most of this mate - I would prefer Spain to go out early so our players have less time to get injured, and don't come home tired though. Maybe throw in a creative second striker if Owen can't/won't come.

I don't think we can afford to gamble on Torres remaining injury free all season, and the thought of Kuyt or even Babel having to lead the line doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.
Plus its always an advantage to have the choice of throwing a good striker on if we are a goal down (unlikely as that may seem :D )

ps I presume you meant Joaquín - Julian Joachim wasn't that good even in his prime  :D

Yep, meant Joaquin. I remember the other guy too!!!!!!!!.

I think that the hype that surrounded him a few years ago has faded. He would be my personal number one target and he is available for a reasonable price now.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion