INTER MILAN vs LIVERPOOL: CL-11/03/08 - 2nd Leg - Build up and Match Discussion

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:14 am

All sticking the boot in on Peewee hey, its like follow the leader on here sometimes, all the pu$$ys jump on the bandwagon and stick the boot in so to speak.

Dont get me wrong this run of six straight wins is great and I'm currently loving it, but lets not forget the bigger picture here, Rafa as yet has failed to impose LFC into a title challenging side. With 200 odd million pounds spent or whatever, much more than Arsenal and yet we're still behind them, the jury is definately out on Rafa domestically but we are still a relatively good cup side, as we we're under Houllier, but league wise we're still well well short.
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby bigmick » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:23 am

Well all personal insults aside just for a second, there are a couple of points which are probably worth a mention. Firstly, our performances in the League under Rafa over four years have been significantly less than impressive, this is even more so when compared to our success in Europe. Now I don't actually believe Rafa "doesn't care' about English football or the Premiership, but I do believe on occasions he over-prioritises the Champions league. That's not to say as some have suggested that we should "field a team of reserves in the Champions League", but it is to say that the unnecessary "resting" of players both before and after Champions League games significantly damages our ability to compete in the Premiership.

The example of Ferguson taking seven years to win the Premiership at Manchester United is one which gets trotted out from time to time and quite regularly whenever somebody voices a negative opinion about our manager. I suppose mit's fair enough, but equally Wenger at arsenal took only a season to win the double, and that stat is dismissed as readily as Mourinho "buying" the Premiership at Chelsea.

Talking of Chelsea, I pointed out on another thread that I had noticed after they overcame Derby that they had moved within five points of Arsenal with a game in hand. They still have to play the top two at Home, and a couple of wins would see them right in the mix with the distinct possibility they could yet be Champions. Their proximity to the top of the Premiership and the memory of how we totally outplayed them on both occasions we played them in the League makes me ever the more convinced that we had a real chance this season had we played it differently. This Arsenal team which wenger has rebuilt from top to bottom over the last four seasons is not a patch on the one which went unbeaten through an entire season before then (though they are a good team I must admit) while the better Man United teams of the late nineties and early 00's would have eaten this lot for breakfast. I can't help thinking that the team with the best goalkeeper, best midfield player and best striker really ought to be in there somewhere.

As for the personal insults, Peewee because of his reactionary views deserves some flak on occasions but on this occasion, this was all sparked by some fairly innocent remarks regarding Kuyt. I don't like witchunts, I was quick enough to tell Peewee exactly that when he got on the case of another poster, and it is no better when the collective ire is directed at him.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:55 am

When we win the CL league again all the Rafa haters dont bother celebrating.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:13 am

Ciggy wrote:When we win the CL league again all the Rafa haters dont bother celebrating.

Who are they then, because one minute you love him the next minute you dont.
66-1112520797

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:28 am

The example of Ferguson taking seven years to win the Premiership at Manchester United is one which gets trotted out from time to time and quite regularly whenever somebody voices a negative opinion about our manager. I suppose mit's fair enough, but equally Wenger at arsenal took only a season to win the double, and that stat is dismissed as readily as Mourinho "buying" the Premiership at Chelsea.

Talking of Chelsea, I pointed out on another thread that I had noticed after they overcame Derby that they had moved within five points of Arsenal with a game in hand. They still have to play the top two at Home, and a couple of wins would see them right in the mix with the distinct possibility they could yet be Champions. Their proximity to the top of the Premiership and the memory of how we totally outplayed them on both occasions we played them in the League makes me ever the more convinced that we had a real chance this season had we played it differently. This Arsenal team which wenger has rebuilt from top to bottom over the last four seasons is not a patch on the one which went unbeaten through an entire season before then (though they are a good team I must admit) while the better Man United teams of the late nineties and early 00's would have eaten this lot for breakfast. I can't help thinking that the team with the best goalkeeper, best midfield player and best striker really ought to be in there somewhere.

Good point Mick.

The Ferguson thing is usually banded about around here as to say 'have patience' while the Wenger and Mouriniho comparisons are easily forgotting or backed up with some desperate post.

I too dont think Rafa doesnt give a feck about the league and like you said prioritises the CL a little more. Of course its a balancing act, and one of which Benitez as yet has not got right. Simple really. But what is annoying most for me is that Rafa doesnt seem to lean from his mistakes.

Another poster on here described most other premiership teams as inferior when compared to those in the CL. Technically they are. I'm just glad that poster isnt in charge of LFC, becasue with that attitude it sounds like we can turn up against someone like Reading and just roll em over, thats utter boll0x and has be proved so this season.

I'm also with you Mick that we could of probably and should of gone alot closer to challeging the teams above us this year. Our team, well most of our players are really not that bad. Infact a fair few of them are world class and on our day with those world class players being picked regulaly we should be able to churn out results.

And looking at the league table now, I just cannot help buut think a few more points picked up earlier on in the season may of had us in the mix, and I blame that earlier season form down to largely Rafa and his rotation policy. Apparently it keeps the player "fresher" but like as now, what is the point if your already out of the d@mn thing. That to me is the highlight and the focal point of where our season has gone to pot over the course of the year.

All in all I'm not letting this good rich vein of form cloud my judgement or cover over the glaring cracks that are the size of the grand canyon we it comes to our season as a  whole
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby ConnO'var » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:47 am

Rafa haters, Ciggy?

No lass.... lovers of Liverpool Football Club.

If we win the Champions League again, we'll be celebrating with everyone else. I'm no bitter.... praying for us to lose just to get rid of Rafa?

Naive and childish.
ConnO'var

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:51 am

wow so much hatred and sh*te all talked in one thread with accusations of being a kiddy fiddler thrown in for good measure.

sad muppets, yeah rafa is god, nothing is wrong with our club, rafas rotation will win us the league blah blah blah.
there now everyone can be happy,
112-1077774096

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:54 am

NANNY RED wrote:My house is in caos  :laugh: Sons a bitters and other half a spurs fan oh what a birthday im havin  :laugh:

haha , its a great day , happy belated birthday nan
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:04 am

Toffeehater wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:My house is in caos  :laugh: Sons a bitters and other half a spurs fan oh what a birthday im havin  :laugh:

haha , its a great day , happy belated birthday nan

Well ive just woke up with a smile in my face  :laugh: this week cant get any better im lovin it bluenoses out spurs out and we go through haha im skint though now cause my daughter done me in for the shops in Milan in two hours :p
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redrover » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:07 am

lads lads lads this is getting bitchier and bitchier. we're not mancs you know.
peewee is entitled to his opinion and is not the only one with grave reservations about our league campaign. his case is weakend at the moment cause we are on a great run, but he is right to remind people that this shouldnt gloss over how dissapointing this season has been to date.
remember this great run started when we were totally out of the race for the league and the reason we were is because of strange team selections by raffa which cost us imo vital points against teams we really should have beaten.
we are not in this position because of defeats, its because of draws and most of them were at home. so in that regard peewee is right to be disapointed and indeed to question if things will change next season, as apparently raffa doesnt appear to learn from his mistakes.
he is a master tactician in europe but the feeling remains that he hasnt fully got a grip on the premiership and how it works. maybe more time is the answer but time is no guarantee.
that said the comments from some people and the personal nature of them against peewee is bang out of order. he has his opinion and sticks to it despite popular opinion (reminds me of a certain manager  :D ) so quit the witch hunt and get on with supporting the best club in england (shamrock rovers are the best club in the world :;): ) and lets see where this season takes.
we are all reds.
shamrock rovers and liverpool are not a matter of life and death to me. they are much more important than that.
redrover

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:31 am

Guess we've finished discussing the Inter game .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion