What was that track?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Woollyback » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:17 am

bit of a long shot here but you never know. did anyone on here used to go to cream when it first opened back in 1992 or whenever it was? they regularly played a song which i'm sure was called "be my friend" and i'm sure it was by a local band. kind of a chilled out song it was, used to get played very late on at cream when everyone was all loved up. same kind of vibe as that chrissie hynde "state of independence" song. i absolutely loved it, takes me right back to those unforgettable nights every time i sing it in me head 

does anyone know the song i'm on about?     :buttrock
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:21 pm

sorry no. 1992 was a long time ago and everything was more fuzzy back then.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:15 am

not as fuzzy as it is now :sniffle
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:35 am

fuzzy indeed. i've just remembered i actually own it on 12" promo vinyl :blush:   it was by a band called people get ready. trouble is i haven't got a record deck any more :(

ring any bells anyone?
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:41 am

Sorry mate.... can't help you there..... unless you want to borrow an old turntable..... I've still got an old Linn LP12 Sonndeck that I seldom use these days.....

:D
ConnO'var

Postby kazza 1 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:54 am

Woolly, Paul Oakenfold was the resident DJ in Cream for 2 years, 1992 - 1994 along with Paul Bleasdale, who was the resident week night DJ, 1992 - until the end of the week nights at the club. I have tried googling the name of the song and the group name, but nothing relivant comes up. I have also tried UTube but again nothing.
I have a CD, by MOS called "The chillout sessions 2001" but its deffo not on there. You could try the MOS web site as theres quite a few chill out albums. I also have Cream Anthems 2000 and 2001 and I cant find it on either of them The only song that I can think of that might be it and it came out around the time your talking is "Nalin and Kanes Beachball, People get ready" The only problem is that theres loads of different mixes. The one I'm thinking of has the sounds of waves and seagulls at the beginning. The only one I can find is off an album called Trance Zone. I got it off Limewire. Its called Nalin and Kane Beachball (full mix) Its very chilled song. Remember listening to it in many a club when I was all loved up, lol. Let me know if thats the one your talking about.
Gone but never forgotten
JUSTICE FOR BABY P REST IN PEACE BABY BOY X
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby destro » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:24 pm

Bit Starsky and Hutch sounding for my taste, but I think this is the song

Be My Friend

:)
destro

Postby Woollyback » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:34 pm

that's the fecker, but there's another mix of it that's a bit more chilled out than that one on there :cool:  kazza, beachball is a classic, i absolutely love that tune :buttrock  think it came out in 1998, reminds me of a sh*te holiday in majorca  :laugh:
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza 1 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:07 pm

Sorry it was not the one you where looking for, but at least I found it for myself. I have loads of diffeent versions of beach ball but not the one I got yesterday, lol. If your ever looking anything thing else music wise, give me a shout. If I dont have it on computer, I'll have it on disc. Have everything from Neil Diamond to My Chemical Romance on computer and I have 100's of CD's. So feel free to let me know, I'd be happy to help.
Gone but never forgotten
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:14 pm

kazza 1 wrote:Sorry it was not the one you where looking for, but at least I found it for myself. I have loads of diffeent versions of beach ball but not the one I got yesterday, lol. If your ever looking anything thing else music wise, give me a shout. If I dont have it on computer, I'll have it on disc. Have everything from Neil Diamond to My Chemical Romance on computer and I have 100's of CD's. So feel free to let me know, I'd be happy to help.

nice one kazza :cool:  i've got a ridiculous music collection myself too. ipod 80gb is completely full and that's nowhere near the full collection, plus i've got a loft full of vinyl. music just rocks :buttrock
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:37 am

Woollyback wrote:
kazza 1 wrote:Sorry it was not the one you where looking for, but at least I found it for myself. I have loads of diffeent versions of beach ball but not the one I got yesterday, lol. If your ever looking anything thing else music wise, give me a shout. If I dont have it on computer, I'll have it on disc. Have everything from Neil Diamond to My Chemical Romance on computer and I have 100's of CD's. So feel free to let me know, I'd be happy to help.

nice one kazza :cool:  i've got a ridiculous music collection myself too. ipod 80gb is completely full and that's nowhere near the full collection, plus i've got a loft full of vinyl. music just rocks :buttrock

Woolly.....

I still listen to a lot of vinyl.... If you're looking for someone to offload your collection to....... give me a buzz....... very, VERY interested.
ConnO'var

Postby kazza 1 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:35 am

I used to have a lot of vinyl myself but a lot of it got stolen when I got divorced or he said it was his. I never bothered fighting for it back. Just built up my collection again by going to car boot sales or sales in music shops. Only this time i bought CD's. I'm still buying a lot even though I dont have a lot of room from them. Most of them are still in the plastic wrappers and have never been played. My biggest collection of music in on my external hard drive for my lap top. I download the most of it from Limewire and if I have parties I tend to use the computer rather than use my Cds. Started to get pi$$ed of at the way other people treated my disc's. Now if they want a paticular song, I can find it on the computer and don't have to worry about it getting ruined.
Gone but never forgotten
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:11 am

ConnO'var wrote:
Woollyback wrote:

Woolly.....

I still listen to a lot of vinyl.... If you're looking for someone to offload your collection to....... give me a buzz....... very, VERY interested.

sorry dude my record collection stays with me 'til the day i die. plus half of it's proper embarrassing sh*te :D

funnily enough somebody offered me £50 recently for an album i've got called "balearic beats vol.1". it's from 1988, the back of the sleeve syas this which says it all:

Copied from back of sleeve:

balearic beats by farley

"wot shall i file this BALEARIC BEATS under?" so young joe public, y.t.s., go-getter at yo-price megastore hits his first problem in pigeon-holeing the black vinyl. now seeing that the only "MATEY" joe's "EVER GOT RIGHT ON" is the rubbery balloon type his guv'nor sells, i think we should explain this happy, happy, groove a little more.

now while it's true that the balearic beat was born in IBIZAN clubs, such as AMNESIA and PASHA, it's breeding took place in a small, sweaty, strobby, smokey south london club called ..... THE SHOOM. the hardcore original shoomers, along with another london club THE FUTURE, had discovered the JOY'S of balearic beats, during several previous "summers of love" (sic), and had brought the music and the attitude back to london with them. the kinectic style of dancing now associated with balearics ugly brother, ACID HOUSE, is pure ibizan in origin. The loudest screams at SPECTRUM are always reserved for NITZER EBB and the RESIDENTS while hearing ENZO AVITABILE booming through the smoke at JOY is an ecstatic experience one step away, (some say forward) from sex.

THE FINI TRIBE and MANDY SMITH have become anthems all over clubland, whilst my personal faves are the fast euro-rhythms of CODE 61 and the post-punk thrashing of THE WOODENTOPS. every track of this album will fill floors and put smiles on faces, Throughout the balearic underground. look, i wonder if poor joe's getting the gist of all this, for joe and the yet uninitiated, balearic is the following and much, much more.....

.....loads of hugs and kisses ... smiley t-shirts and happy faces.... feeling saucey instead of sauced......eating fruits on the dance floor....bashed up converse trainers.....lovely girls with blinding accents.....ice pops.....hedionism....sparklers at the future....indian belly dancers at the shoom....almost everyone finally realising that "only love can conquer hate"....watching the sun set at the café del mar....watching the sun rise on primrose hill....the karma collective....poncho's pony tails and body paint....dj alfredo....new friendships....loads more hugs and kisses....just let this piece of warm anglo-ibizan club culture rush over you, enjoy it mateys!!!

loves & respects to OAKEY, THE RAMPLINGS, GARY HAISMAN, JOHNNY WALKER, STEVE PROCTOR, NANCY NOISE, and to all those out there who truly "shoooom!!!"

xxx hugs and kisses xxx - farley.
BOYS OWN FANZINE

produced by one pete "razor" tong :oh:  it's such a cool album, somehow it manages to have the likes of nitzer ebb and mandy smith on the same record without jarring, i love it. i bought it in late 1988 after coming back from an eye-opening holiday in the med. sounds corny as hell but they really were exciting times, the whole british way of "going out" was completely turned on its head from that summer onward and for the better imo.
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:02 pm

Woollyback wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:
Woollyback wrote:

Woolly.....

sorry dude my record collection stays with me 'til the day i die. plus half of it's proper embarrassing sh*te :D

No problem dude...... And you're not the only one with an embarrassing collection.....

FFS, I've got fecking Boney M, The Bee Gees and Donna Summer!
ConnO'var

Return to General Chat Forum