Didi to stay - R u 1 of the supporters of his decision?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby anfieldadorer » Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:52 am

The old soldier to stay, assuming there'll be only one or two new incomers in the near future, I think i'm happy with his decision. We need a player with adequate experience like him, especially in big event like CL. UEFA cup won several years ago tells better why. What do you think? Why?

"This (transfer speculation) has been the case for the past two or three years now. At the end of each season the papers are full of stories linking me with a move away from Liverpool. I'm used to it now but it's getting tiresome commenting on them to be honest.
"I've always said that I'm happy here and that has not changed. I've got a year left on my contract and I'm more than happy to stay. Hopefully, we'll do well in the forthcoming season and we'll see what happens then. I had a brief chat with the boss when I returned so he knows how I feel. But what the future holds after that, I do not know.
"There have been quite a few changes at this club since the end of last season and it's going to be interesting. Every new manager brings with him different training styles and obviously the coaching staff has changed.
"Rafael Benitez had a great record at Valencia over the past three years. His reputation is good and that must bode well for Liverpool."
"It's been quite a short break this year. Even though Germany was knocked out of Euro 2004 at the first stage, three and half weeks off is all the international lads can hope for nowadays. Saying that, it feels good to be back with the club again. Training has gone well and we're just trying to build our fitness up again at this early stage," adds Hamann.
"Everyone was disappointed with the way last season went but we still believe in ourselves and are confident the new boss can lead us to success. The important thing last season was that we still managed to finish fourth. In doing that we ended the campaign on a high and, of course, qualified for the Champions League.
"Obviously, we have to play a qualifying tie first, but it is a big bonus for everyone at the club to be in this position, especially has we missed out last year.
"With regards to the Champions League, obviously we must come through the qualifier first, but if we do it will be great to be back in that competition. It is the Premiership that remains our top priority though.
"Whether we are good enough to win the league I don't know. Chelsea have brought a lot players in again. Arsenal didn't lose a game in the league last season and will be a formidable force once again, while Manchester United should also mount a stronger challenge this time."
"I'm sad to see Markus go but these things happen in football. It's business. The time was right for him to go somewhere else. He could see no future for himself at this club and I'm pleased to see he?s got himself a good move to Stuttgart. I wish him well."
"It's always good to get away for a few days during the pre-season and it's good to visit America, it's a fascinating country and I'm enjoying the trip."
Last edited by anfieldadorer on Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:00 am

Class act, still one of our top 5 or 6 players.

There are other area's which need improving first.
115-1073096938

Postby gerrard_steven » Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:40 am

didis is class and veru under rated he does the jobs no1 else wants to do and does them effectively, if he had genuine pace he would be world class
gerrard_steven

Postby C-R » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:52 am

I think he is a class player and one of the best in his position of the past 10 years.

However i dont think he will give us enough games this season, he seems to be picking up more and more injuries.

Personally i think he should be replaced, especially when you see players like Butt moving to Newcastle for 2.5 million.
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:57 am

I agree I love Hamann, he may be very defensive, but maybe Rafa will play stevie in a more attacking position, I agree with stu, there r more places in the Lpool team that need strengthin
He comes from Spain and he doesn't speak good English,
But we don't care cos he'll turn us into winners,
The European Cup will be ours before he's finished,
Raaaaafaa Benitez!
Rafa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:01 pm

next season is the last year of his contract so he can see it out and then be thanked for his service before returning to his native germany. :)
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Starbridge42 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:08 pm

He's been a loyal servent to the club for several years.  My personal opinion is that if he was to leave he shouldn't be one of those players who have tug of war played with them (with them as the rope) as loyal service commands respect r-e-s-t-c-p
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby Paul C » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:18 pm

I think Hamman is mint in midfield, it's just a pitty the lad doesn't have any pace :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:25 pm

He is awesome, I like Didi as he had shown nothing but class and dedication. He is very efficient as you don't see him miss a tackle often. There is no question about his heart and work ethics. He is probably one of the most consistent LFC players the last couple of years. Hope Rafa will put him into good use.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby RobG14 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:55 pm

There is no doubting that hamann is a class player, one of our most consistent players over the past few seasons. However it is quite clear judging by our home performances over the past two seasons that he and Gerrard cannot play in the same team. They are both too alike as they are both very defensive minded players and in them we have two players doing one mans job. I feel that in order for us to progress next season we need to have a good attacking midfielder like Murphy playing alongside Gerrard who will get at least 10 goals a season
RobG14

Postby Piewhack » Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:26 pm

RobG14, i disagree... i feel that when Hamann plays in mid with Gerrard... it actually gives Stevie G the freedom to come forward a lot more.. which he can do with deadly effect.. as his surging runs have proven.  OK, so last season was poor on all fronts and this wasnt due to the Hamann and Gerrard combo not working. How many times have we looked like half the team when Hamann wasn't playing??
Piewhack
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stapo1000 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:48 pm

he is a class midfielder with a bullet of a shot but, like murphy, he lacks pace. i think he can do a job for one more season for us. the position rafa has to focus on is right mid
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby barnesrush » Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:56 pm

i agree with robg14 on this one that despite didis obvious class him and stevie g dont give the team enough going forward whereas a player like murphy would give us more goals and more assists. gerrard although menacing when surging forward is not naturally an attacking player and many of his surges however exciting they may be do not result in goals. murphy adds more balance and gives the team all that stevie is lacking which is the clever final pass
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby madred » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:51 pm

Quality player and i hope he has a part to play under Benitez. Hopefully he will be able to venture forward a bit more this season.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion