Reading vs. liverpool - carling cup - 25/09/2007 - The madejski stadium – 7.45 pm

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Smeg » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:42 am

LFC2007 wrote:
Smeg wrote:I doubt you'd say anything against your beloved Benitez if he didn't field Torres and Gerrard against the Mancs to be quite honest.

You sum up the happy clappy fan. Benitez got it wrong leaving out our second best player (and one of the most inform players in the country right now) against Pompey and Birmingham.

Simple as that. You don't go away to Portsmouth and league 3 of your best 5 players out of the starting line up and expect to come away with three points. If you want to go and win the league, you have to go and win in places like this.

What you say is devoid of any substance, or any justification, it's an empty judgement.

I don't sum up the happy clappy fan, I am a fan who tries to add a little perspective to my judgements. Conversely, your reaction sums up that of an A-class numpty. The epitome of a happy clappy fan would be one who agrees 100% with Rafa and his decision making, read ny post again, I am not that fan.

If Rafa didn't field Torres or Gerrard against the Manc's, there would be a bloody good reason for it. If he did, which I think is highly unliklely, it would be due to injuries to those two players. I have said that I was surprised at Torres' omission from the Birmingham match, where is it that you are missing the point?

What you say is devoid of any substance, or any justifica...........

Ahhh fuck off you pompus bellend. No-one gives a shit. :no
Smeg

Postby maguskwt » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:50 am

Smeg wrote:Its a pitty really he's playing next to someone like Crouch who offers nothing in comparrison. People bang on about what Crouch brings but Crouch doesn't have one attribute on Torres, not one. The difference in class in the two players is there for all to see.

completely and unanimously agreed...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Smeg » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:05 am

maguskwt wrote:
Smeg wrote:Its a pitty really he's playing next to someone like Crouch who offers nothing in comparrison. People bang on about what Crouch brings but Crouch doesn't have one attribute on Torres, not one. The difference in class in the two players is there for all to see.

completely and unanimously agreed...

What people don't see is actually how bad Baros and Sissy were. Thats what made Crouch look so good. Crouch isn't awful but he's a very average premiership striker. The fact is though he was a massive improvement on anything we had before that... (not including Micheal and Robbie).

He's average at actually heading a ball, obviously decent at winning headers due to his size, but he doesn't attack a ball consistently or properly, he doesn't have the anticipation and aggression to go and win headers all game either.

He has a very deft touch and the ball doesn't often bounce off him very often which against lesser sides can help us keep good possession, but the fact is thats about all he offers.

He misses far to many chances, always has, always will.

He's not even got average pace, tonight he was put through and I would be 70-80% of strikers in the league would have at least managed to get a shot off, he didn't. It wasn't only that though. Torres seemed to do what Crouch used to do, winning headers, flick ons, holding it up, back to goal etc... buthe done alot more aswell. He scored, ran in behind.

He also gets outmuscled by defenders aswell which makes his game even less effective, especially against better sides.

People seem to think he's some sort of excellent target man, when the fact is, when he was brought in he was the right mould of player, just not the right quality. He doesn't have the physical attributes, the vision or the leadership qualities (aggression and determination) to really impact games anymore in what is a far more advanced Liverpool side.

He's not bad, he's just not good enough. Something I said last season and stand by now. I said last season we needed a Left winger, a centre back and two strikers... I wanted Woodgate, Ashton/Anelka and anyone decent on the left.

We got one striker who looks the real deal, ifwe go out and sign the other and a left winger as good as Kewell who'll actually play we might be in business.

That Leto has no chance, he's poor. Babel, £11,500,000 for that? You've got to be joking? I've seen better on a sunday league pitch.
Smeg

Postby Smeg » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:09 am

Sorry better retract that last statement about Babel, he needs another year because at 20 he doesn't know how to control a ball, pass, not run into blind alleys, spot a pass, give a team width, tackle, play a one two or do just about anything else....

He'll figure it all out in a year after I remember Pires and Henry! :laugh:
Smeg

Postby Bretc » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:21 am

I do not agree with Rafa's comments on the 4 strikers. His statement will only be true if all 4 of them have the same standard, which in my opinion, is not the case here. Torres is in my humble opinion, one class above the other 3 in terms of overall quality. As such, Rafa should not rotate a fit Torres for the important matches, which would include all the league, CL and FA cup matches. Torres offers something which the other 3 simply cannot produce - class. He has that element of "something special" which has been missing in our frontline ever since God and Owen left. So my point is, rotation? Yes go ahead but rotate the other 3 strikers and keep Torres as our main striker.
Bretc

Postby Smeg » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:34 am

Bretc wrote:I do not agree with Rafa's comments on the 4 strikers. His statement will only be true if all 4 of them have the same standard, which in my opinion, is not the case here. Torres is in my humble opinion, one class above the other 3 in terms of overall quality. As such, Rafa should not rotate a fit Torres for the important matches, which would include all the league, CL and FA cup matches. Torres offers something which the other 3 simply cannot produce - class. He has that element of "something special" which has been missing in our frontline ever since God and Owen left. So my point is, rotation? Yes go ahead but rotate the other 3 strikers and keep Torres as our main striker.

ONE class above the other three?

I'm sorry, the other three are in nursery while Torres has just finished Uni mate. Thats the difference.

You say he offers class, you're 100% spot on. Anything the others can do, Torres can do equal or better aswell as offering us things none of the others can.

I can't believe Benitez even suggested the others were nearly as good to be honest... :laugh:
Smeg

Postby AB's Red Army » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:39 am

So Stu is using SMEG's account.  :D
DeviantArt: Click Here
AB's Red Army

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:18 am

Its now getting pretty embarrasing that people can not exchange views regarding a game of football without trading insults, name calling and acting like silly little teenagers.

I seriously wonder if people need to be excluded from these kind of threads if they cant manage to accept the fact that people will have views that differ from their own.

Seriously people, think before you post, and keep the mud slinging to PM's as it is tedious.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:27 am

Closed for reasons above.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion