Coloccini - A defender to bolster our defence

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Santa » Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:42 pm

azriahmad wrote:If he only costs 3.5 and is as good as what some of you say and has some semblence of speed, he is worth a try.

I just can't help to keep thinking about Kezman who only cost 5 million to Chelski and had a prolific scoring record at PSV. Did we miss a bargain and paid too much for Cisse?

Don't know about Kezman's game & record but I don't think they can be compared until end of this season.
OTOH. Cisse and Drogba played in the same league, have a rather similar style. Drogba cost £24M...that makes Cisse a bargain (on paper at least).
Overall, I don't care if we pay over the odds for someone so long as he does his great job for us.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simic_ie » Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:43 pm

Never even heard of Coliccini before we were linked with him but since then I've been looking around on hte interweb to try and get an idea what he's like..... apparently he is due to start in the Copa America final v Brazils o if he's getting a start in the Argentinan defence he can't be half bad and Ithink for £3.5 million we can't be going to far wrong if this rumour proves founded. (It's the S*n quoting him so I'm pretty sure he's said nothing)
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:52 pm

He seems desperate to come here.... If RB really fancies him, then he must be good (knowing how he builds his teams around defense).

http://itv-football.co.uk/Teams/Liverpool/story_119738.shtml

The Argentine defender, currently on Copa America duty, has apparently caught the eye of Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez as he looks to find a new partner for Sami Hyypia.

The 22-year-old is valued at £3.5million by AC Milan, where he has become surplus to requirements and subsequently spent the last three seasons on loan in Spain.

Said Coloccini: "I've heard the Liverpool reports. We're in talks and the offer interests me. I'm proud a club the size of Liverpool rates me, I really like British football and follow it a lot.

"And for the coach who won the Spanish championship to ask for me - given all the players in Spain - is a boost. I'll be very appreciative if the deal comes off. I wouldn't let him down."

Coloccini spent last season marking the likes of Ronaldo and Ronaldino, but he says facing Rooney could be the best of the lot.

"I know one of Liverpool’s classic games is against Rooney’s club - Everton," he added. "He’s a great player and if I go there, I’ll have to mark him.

"There are good strikers in all European leagues and you have to be prepared to take on players with that sort of quality. In Spain, I've had to mark forwards who are just as dangerous. I can do it, I feel capable of it."
Last edited by The_Rock on Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby barnesrush » Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:01 pm

definately sounds very keen and extremely confident in his abilities. given the current milan defence its no shame to not get in the team. i remember another milan reserve going to arsenal for 3.5 mil about 8 years ago and he wasnt a bad player.

havent seen him play but sounds good to me
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby whylongball? » Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:13 pm

am just getting impatient with the lack of transfer activity from the coach..We really have to get some quality players soon..... ???
whylongball?

Postby stapo1000 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:46 pm

whylongball? wrote:am just getting impatient with the lack of transfer activity from the coach..We really have to get some quality players soon..... ???

dont worry about that. rafa is just biding his time and being shrewd as a manger should be. hes taking time to assess his squad and see what areas we must improve in and then his taking more time to see which player(s) we should buy to improve. he said it himself after we unveiled cisse- he'll buy 1 or 2 more players at least and its important not to spend lots of money but to spend it wisely
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:22 pm

I thought this was a little bit worrying, from ESPN :-

Three players charged over racism allegations

Three Spanish league players have been charged by the country's soccer federation after Malaga's Dutch midfielder Kizito Musampa alleged they had each racially insulted him, the soccer body confirmed Wednesday.

Federation spokesman Fernando Garrido said the trio -- Alaves' Argentine central defender Fabio Coloccini, Zaragoza's former Spanish international striker Juanele Castano and Las Palmas' midfielder Angel Lopez -- would be charged under a rule forbidding "the uttering of insults during matches."

The trio were implicated by the Kinshasa-born midfielder after Malaga's league game with Alaves on Feb. 10.

Musampa accused Coloccini of insulting him racially at the end of the match and added that it was the third time he had suffered abuse of this type, naming Juanele and Angel.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby madred » Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:27 pm

If this is true, we didnt want Bowyer at the club so we dont want him either.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adayinthelife » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:31 am

madred wrote:If this is true, we didnt want Bowyer at the club so we dont want him either.

Big difference between what bowyer did on a night out and what Coloccini alledgedly said in the heat of the moment.

I would welcome him and not just cuz we badly need him. :D
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby begintoend » Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:37 am

I'll give him a try too.

Seen his performance in the Copa. Isn't that bad. pacy but not lightning fast. Runs around and is very sound at the back. Good cover up for the last man.

3.5mil, that's a reasonable sum to me.
begintoend
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion