Gerrard in the middle

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:01 pm

LegBarnes wrote:
stmichael wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:Ok i know you all shout at me for this but i personaly think gerrard is wasted in midfield we should have him as an out and out striker.

He is strong powerful , massive work rate , great header of the ball , wonderful finisher , great link up play and great football brain .

Seems to me a perfect striker , now if i am not much mistaken alan shearer was a goalkeeper till the age of 18 and look how good he become put gerrard up front for 10 games i bet he starts knocking in a goal  game   :buttrock

I think I've heard it all now.

well instead of saying that care to prove me wrong or just chat :censored: ?

Well, to rate a striker you don't have to look only with the ball mate.

Remember Aldridge? he hadn't a decent long shot, hadn't as much strenght as Gerrard in his legs, he wasn't as good as Gerrard to dribble, his left foot wasn't as good as Gerrard, and running, he was slower than Gerrard. When it comes to ball related things, Aldo was better than Gerrard only in heading.

But, he was million times better striker than Gerrard could ever be. Why? because being a striker is also about making the correct runs, knowing to drag a defence to help another mate, and "that something" that is difficult to explain what it is but it makes you being in the correct place to tap in.

So, IMHO, let's leave Gerrard doing what he knows best.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:02 pm

LegBarnes wrote:
stmichael wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:Ok i know you all shout at me for this but i personaly think gerrard is wasted in midfield we should have him as an out and out striker.

He is strong powerful , massive work rate , great header of the ball , wonderful finisher , great link up play and great football brain .

Seems to me a perfect striker , now if i am not much mistaken alan shearer was a goalkeeper till the age of 18 and look how good he become put gerrard up front for 10 games i bet he starts knocking in a goal  game   :buttrock

It's simple mate. Gerrard's a brilliant footballer, make no mistake, but we won't get the best out of him there. Infact nearly every game I've seen Gerrard play as a second striker he's been pretty poor. The reason why he's scored so many goals in the last two seasons is because he's making runs into open spaces made available by the gaps left by opposition BEHIND our front men. He's nigh impossible to track when he does that. Once he's into the spaces, he's got a bazooka of a right boot to punish opponents who can't track his lurking runs.

Up front, he'll be fully occupied by one centre half and space is going to be less available. Being who he is, I reckon he'll still do well but asking him to lead the line? He's gonna be less effective. THE best central midfielder in the world, but as versatile as he is, we're probably better off leaving him in the centre of the park and marauding around rather than have him wasted upfront as it's not his best position.

Also, what message would it send to players such as Crouch, Kuyt and Voronin?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby LegBarnes » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:09 pm

stmichael wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:
stmichael wrote:

It's simple mate. Gerrard's a brilliant footballer, make no mistake, but we won't get the best out of him there. Infact nearly every game I've seen Gerrard play as a second striker he's been pretty poor. The reason why he's scored so many goals in the last two seasons is because he's making runs into open spaces made available by the gaps left by opposition BEHIND our front men. He's nigh impossible to track when he does that. Once he's into the spaces, he's got a bazooka of a right boot to punish opponents who can't track his lurking runs.

Up front, he'll be fully occupied by one centre half and space is going to be less available. Being who he is, I reckon he'll still do well but asking him to lead the line? He's gonna be less effective. THE best central midfielder in the world, but as versatile as he is, we're probably better off leaving him in the centre of the park and marauding around rather than have him wasted upfront as it's not his best position.

well u didnt read my post well i didnt say a 2nd striker i said a out and out striker running on last man and linking up playing and holding the ball up we have alot of good standed midfielders and some games i think more so v lesser teams gerrard could do a good job up front he has more then enuff power and skill to do the job.

And above all no one in liverpool team has more composure and that is the 1st thing a stiker needs to score goals.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:48 pm

LegBarnes wrote:
stmichael wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:
stmichael wrote:

well u didnt read my post well i didnt say a 2nd striker i said a out and out striker running on last man and linking up playing and holding the ball up we have alot of good standed midfielders and some games i think more so v lesser teams gerrard could do a good job up front he has more then enuff power and skill to do the job.

And above all no one in liverpool team has more composure and that is the 1st thing a stiker needs to score goals.

Sure, he could do a "good job" against lesser teams but I assure you that Torres, Crouch, Kuyt and Voronin could all do a better job, seeing as that's what they've spent their careers doing.  Besides, doing a 'good job' wasn't your original point--your original point was that Gerrard was "wasted" as a CM which, I'm sorry, is nonsense.  He's the best box-to-box central midfielder in world football so why mess about?  ???
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby LegBarnes » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:05 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:
stmichael wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:
stmichael wrote:

Sure, he could do a "good job" against lesser teams but I assure you that Torres, Crouch, Kuyt and Voronin could all do a better job, seeing as that's what they've spent their careers doing.  Besides, doing a 'good job' wasn't your original point--your original point was that Gerrard was "wasted" as a CM which, I'm sorry, is nonsense.  He's the best box-to-box central midfielder in world football so why mess about?  ???

well that will be seen in the season ahead i hope !

I dont think he is best box to box midfield i think he is best player and he could out perform most in any area of the pitch which he has proven time and time agian just he hasnt been played up front much its postion he could master very easy.

as far as doing a job goes yes he could for the first season now and agian but he could grow into the postion after 1 season once he gets match EXP up front this is my point.

Sorry i posted my views i know it will never happen that he will play up front unless we get alot of injurys but just my perso view on Steve Gerrard liverpool super star !
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby YAWL » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:18 pm

Gerrard's best position is in the centre.  Think the form of Pennant towards the end of last season, the new signings Yossi and Babel will mean Gerarrd in the centre more often than not.

I'd guess usually in a 4-4-2, but you know Rafa we might see a five man midfield, with Torres capable of playing as a lone striker effectively and Babel an exciting left winger / forward.

The main reason why I like Gerarrd centrally is because he offers goals from that position.  United have Scholes, Chelsea have Lampard who do this, over the last two seasons we have had hardly any goals from centre midfield.

United's midfield scored 20 more goals than ours last season.  That's was the biggest difference between the teams.  Playing Gerrard central should help with this.
YAWL

Postby maguskwt » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:33 pm

LegBarnes wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:
stmichael wrote:
LegBarnes wrote:
stmichael wrote:

well that will be seen in the season ahead i hope !

I dont think he is best box to box midfield i think he is best player and he could out perform most in any area of the pitch which he has proven time and time agian just he hasnt been played up front much its postion he could master very easy.

as far as doing a job goes yes he could for the first season now and agian but he could grow into the postion after 1 season once he gets match EXP up front this is my point.

Sorry i posted my views i know it will never happen that he will play up front unless we get alot of injurys but just my perso view on Steve Gerrard liverpool super star !

you've got to be delusional my friend...gerrard as an out and out striker?.... :laugh:

I'm sorry but gerrard can never play as an out and out striker at the highest level... a striker's skills and a midfielder's skills are totally different...

gerrard's strengths are a midfielder's strengths... passing short and long (distribution)... running forward WITH the ball... crossing... tackling... long distance shots when given space... vision... play making abilities...

a striker needs to be quick thinking... instinctive... needs to know how to finish in different ways not just shooting with power... needs to know how to move without the ball... needs to be selfish... needs to know how to lose his marker in a flash... needs to anticipate all the time...

I'm sorry but gerrard is not a striker because his strengths are those of a midfielder's...as simple as that... yeah he might be able to hold the ball up... but what's next? it's quite idiotic and a waste to play gerrard as an out and out striker...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:15 am

stmichael wrote:Wouldn't be a normal day on here without a Gerrard in the centre debate.

We have 4 (maybe 5) top class central midfielders, one of whom can play on the right with almost equal ability. As far as I'm concerned, it's better to have 3 world class players in the team with Gerrard on the right than 2 world class players in the team with Gerrard in the centre.

Gerrard in the centre is better for Gerrard, but what's best for Gerrard isn't necessarily what's best for the team. Gerrard is the best right midfielder in the world, of course Rafa is going to struggle to find a replacement who is better.

Barcelona "waste" Messi and Ronaldo out wide because they don't want to alter their formation to fit them in centrally. Real Madrid "wasted" Zidane out on the left and Juventus "wasted" Nedved on the left.

Gerrard on the right is a non-issue, that's not what's stopping us from winning the league.

i totally agree mate

gerrards best position is centre but hes still one of if not the best right winger in the world when hes there

i believe gerrard should be used for the good of the team and not the godd of steven gerrard

but we pennant showing signs of becoming a great little player and benny n babel coming in i can see him playing centre more
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion