Rafa quoted today in the daily star..

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:42 pm

Everyone (apart from Sabre and Bav) seems to have forgotten about Lucas, I realise he is only young and will probably need time to settle, but hopefully he wont be just a bit part player, but will make an important contribution this season.

I think Rafa is just saying IF rather than that WILL be it if we sign 2 more players. (Assuming the article is not just the usual load of b0llocks :D  )

I would prefer to wait and buy quality players , rather than buy the wrong players now and in 12 months time be trying to unload them again. If we intend to challenge for the title I would like to have seen at least 2 more top quality signings (second striker and a winger better than Benayoun) but that doesn't mean we can't challenge, it just means we may have to shuffle the pack more (when we have injuries)and some players are going to have to step up their game.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:48 pm

Dear me. If this is true we will finish up our summer spending if we get Benayoun is certainly worrying. With the prices top talent go for these days we'll need to spend another 30 - 40 million after the Torres purchase.
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:50 pm

LittleHobo wrote:the problem is Man utd have gone utd and added great depth to their squad, spent big and have defo improved, so they have took it on an extra level, making it harder to catch them up

I think it will be hard for rafa this year if he honestly thinks we can win it.

Unless we spend at least another 40 million on 2 quality players

i would like dani alves and simoa or quasimodo

Big bucks signings don't equal improvment of success. Chelsea spent big last season and upset the ballance of their team. Same thing could potentially happen to United. If Torres and Rafa's other signings bring more ballance to our play, then we're in with a shout to challenge for the title and make no mistakes about it. I'm really sick of people thinking it's the end of the world already because they've splashed the cash. So Fu*king what?! I couldn't care less who they buy! So long as we do well and take points off them next season in the league, then we can see where we are come next May.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kunilson » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:09 pm

i find it funny that alot of manc's and rent boys were criticising us about having big money to spend, saying we wanted to be "just like chelsea" and selling out, when in reality all that was happening is that we can compete with other top clubs when need be.....which is exactly what has happened with us getting Torres.
but manure have gone out and spent almost £100 mill which is a ridiculous amount and no-one will say sh1t whereas we were apparently gonna buy everyone and there was nobody without an opinion on it!

Rafa will get who he wants....im sure he isn't being "restricted" to only 2 more players. so there's no need to panic. i think our squad is pretty decent, aurelio and kewell will be like new signings anyway barring injuries...too many players = no time to gel problems like last year. title challenge into the new year at least is on... :D
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:06 pm

thing is... we have improved our forward line by adding Torres to the mix (voronin not so sure about it.... give me fowler,bellamy or even cisse anyday ahead of voronin)
but we have done fck all to improve our wingers... if its true and we do end up signing benayoun and only benayoun then that would be a mojor worry... i know in paper the business we conducted so far looks good but unless we sign a top class established winger who is better than the players wew already have (pennant, Kewell) then that woould be a big question mark to me .
linked to Babel i hear.... not that i dont rate him... in all onesty iv only seen him play a few times for holland and whenever iv seen him he looked average at best...
anyways if we were to sign 2 players then my guess would be that the 2 players will be Benayoun (backup for pennant) and a top class left winger who can compete for his place with Kewell and most probably make the starting position is own... (mancini, quaresma, vicente) any of the mentioned would be brilliant....
in a perfect world we'd go out and pay big money to get 2 class wingers to start ahead of our not so impressive wingers... but i think budget is a constraint and id be satisfied by the additions we make if we can sign benayoun+class winger.

still not good enough to be taken seriously as title contenders as yet !
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:30 pm

kunilson wrote:i find it funny that alot of manc's and rent boys were criticising us about having big money to spend, saying we wanted to be "just like chelsea" and selling out, when in reality all that was happening is that we can compete with other top clubs when need be.....which is exactly what has happened with us getting Torres.
but manure have gone out and spent almost £100 mill which is a ridiculous amount and no-one will say sh1t whereas we were apparently gonna buy everyone and there was nobody without an opinion on it!

Rafa will get who he wants....im sure he isn't being "restricted" to only 2 more players. so there's no need to panic. i think our squad is pretty decent, aurelio and kewell will be like new signings anyway barring injuries...too many players = no time to gel problems like last year. title challenge into the new year at least is on... :D

Utd are back in the position they were a few years ago.  They have always been able to go and spend big money on players which other clubs couldn't.  I don't hold it against them, just it was funny to see them criticise Chelsea for spending big.  I am surprised they haven't had to sell anyone though to help balance the books.
puroresu

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:06 pm

It's only the Star.

Has little credibility IMO.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lfcseb » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:27 am