Where could it go so right ! - A fans view

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby aCe' » Mon May 28, 2007 1:06 pm

RedorDead wrote:
aCe' wrote:
Penguins wrote:"you say ability to turm matches around... i say quality...
difference between manutd, chelsea and liverpool is that they have quality players who can provide that extra thing at crucial timing to win games... we dont... all we have is gerrard...performing when he feels like it"

ya, I agree

"dont get me wrong... im not saying wer a 1 man team... but we are a team with one world class player..."

I practically agree even though Reina, Alonso, Masch and to a degree Cara i find close, but all pretty defensive players.

"for the past 3 or 4 years... manutd and chelsea made great buys...world class players...every year they would fork out a fortune to sign class player who more often than not performed."

Yap, totally agree

"we have been buying decent players...with the odd class signing (reina..alonso) due to limited funds and poor scouting....simple as"

Hmm, true

"defend rafa all you want but...given the money he spent... we could and should have done better ! net profit in players sold.. free signings and all that mean fck all to me..."

This is were things start to confuse me.
U just mentioned due to limited funds we've been buying decent squad players and not afford world class which u have stated that we needed. Then u start now by saying given the money he has had he should be doing better?
What? Doing better with a whole 40 million transfer budget over 3 years? Even Spurs and barcodes have had bigger budgets than that.
And even in the footballing world you work with a budget.

Not selling and only buying for 50 million means exactly the same as selling for 50 million and buying for 100 million.
The transfer budget is still THE SAME!

"this summer.... rafa has all the money to spend and all the players to go after... he either steps up, buys class players and we have no more excuses for fckin up next season... or he buys the kuyts, bellamys and youth of this world and we fight for 4th.... either way... rafa has to deliver next season !"

ya, true, this summer it seems like there will be money to spend and sure he will be able to hopefully buy class players.
But this is the 1st time ever he has been able to do that.
Even if 2 3 or 4 top class players come in do you really expect the team to gel in no time at all and that the new signings will start in top gear from day 1.
We can all hope but I just don't see that as very likely.
And saying next season Rafa has to deliver or else is just too rash. I expect improvment and no more bellamy buys but with us just stomping at the same place for 3 years and not really improving the quality in the squad it will take time getting top class in many positions  all of a sudden in no time.

Manure has had 10 years adding 1 or 2 world class players every year. We have never ever been able to do that and maybe now for the 1st time we might.
You don't get from 0 to 100 in one season. I don't believe that
unless you are Chelski and spend 100 million in the off season.

it's looking promising but plz try and be realistic.

when i said done better... i didnt mean go out and buy world class players for cheap...
i meant better players for the same price... (Anelka better than Kuyt) or even better (1 class player to play alongside Crouch and maybe FSP if he hadnt loaned him out..plz try to tell me 16 mill or so wouldnt have got a to class striker ?! )
and yes i do think that we have to deliver next season... im not saying go out and win the league ( not that its out of the question either...)  but be there challenging for it and improving as a team... wouldnt be content with paying big money and playing for a championsleague spot with a team that could potentially beat any of the top sides...
and mate.... we are not moving from 0 to 100... we are not that far behind the leading 2 and with a few quality signings...say Alves , Silva and Torres we would look pretty damn good compared to any of the top sides....
simply compare us to the league champions and a combined select 11 of the 2 clubs would look something like this:

Reina(pool)

Alves(pool)        Ferdinand(ManC)      Carra(pool)       Evra(ManC)

Ronaldo(ManC)    Gerrard(pool)    Scholes(ManC)      Silva(pool)

Torres(pool)   Rooney(ManC)

6 of our player and 5 of theirs... 1 here one there... our squads arnt that different afterall...

just the difference in class is what seperates us from them atm... if we can inject some quality into our already solid squad... i think wed be a force to be reckoned with...

realistic you say... i am... we are not that far behind... we lack flair and creativity... a few signings and we CAN mount a challenge...if you cant see it... then we just have very different opinions i guess

Except only three of the starting eleven you posted actually play for Liverpool. I agree with your point in that we don't have an ENORMOUS gap to bridge but we are certainly a few players short of a genuine title challenge. We also need to change our mentality, beat the lesser teams of this league inbetween the big European nights but that's another thread I suppose.

yes i realize that...
did this same comparison a month or 2 ago when some were sugesting that liverpool are as good as manutd wen it came to peronnel... 8-3 but with 3 signings i think we can turn the table around... we have the backing of the board and the 3 players are def. affordale if we sell 1 or 2 of our names (bellamy ? alonso ? crouch ? sissoko ?)
cant say i expect crouch and xabi to leave... but wouldnt mind them both leaving if sissoko stays and maybe we sign a 2nd striker...long shot imo though
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Mon May 28, 2007 1:18 pm

Great post Ian. more please...... :D
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Mon May 28, 2007 7:02 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
adamnbarrett wrote:In a way it's maybe for the best that we lost otherwise it would have covered up a poor domestic season from our point of view. Also if we had of won on wednesday maybe Rafa wouldn't have been backed as so strongly as he will be by the new owners.

Do you really think Rafa is as naive to think a win in the CL final would have acted as a smokescreen for the poor premiership campaign?

Or that the new owners would have re-considered the extent to which they backed him in the transfer market?

I disagree, strongly.

if you actually read my post I said from our point of view i.e. the fans. So we the fans may have forgotten about our poor season domestically because of a european cup win like in 2005.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Mon May 28, 2007 8:17 pm

adamnbarrett wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:
adamnbarrett wrote:In a way it's maybe for the best that we lost otherwise it would have covered up a poor domestic season from our point of view. Also if we had of won on wednesday maybe Rafa wouldn't have been backed as so strongly as he will be by the new owners.

Do you really think Rafa is as naive to think a win in the CL final would have acted as a smokescreen for the poor premiership campaign?

Or that the new owners would have re-considered the extent to which they backed him in the transfer market?

I disagree, strongly.

if you actually read my post I said from our point of view i.e. the fans. So we the fans may have forgotten about our poor season domestically because of a european cup win like in 2005.

The quote is there, it is not like it has morphed into something different overnight.

"In a way it's maybe for the best that we lost otherwise it would have covered up a poor domestic season from our point of view. Also if we had of won on wednesday maybe Rafa wouldn't have been backed as so strongly as he will be by the new owners."

So you think it would have acted as a smokescreen to us the fans?

And what relevance does that have as to how we progress in the future?

Do you really think that Liverpool fans are as naive to be deceived by a good european cup run anyway?

Do you really think 17 years without a league title isn't enough to suggest our priority should be the league?

It's Rafa and the LFC hierarchy who will take the decisions, we don't decide who to sign in the transfer window, or which team is put out in the league.

And do you really think Hicks and Gillett "wouldn't have backed Rafa as strongly" had we won on Wednesday?

I don't think these guys would be as successful as they are if they were that naive.
LFC2007

Postby adamnbarrett » Mon May 28, 2007 9:05 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
adamnbarrett wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:

I disagree, strongly.

The quote is there, it is not like it has morphed into something different overnight.

"In a way it's maybe for the best that we lost otherwise it would have covered up a poor domestic season from our point of view. Also if we had of won on wednesday maybe Rafa wouldn't have been backed as so strongly as he will be by the new owners."

So you think it would have acted as a smokescreen to us the fans?

And what relevance does that have as to how we progress in the future?

Do you really think that Liverpool fans are as naive to be deceived by a good european cup run anyway?

Do you really think 17 years without a league title isn't enough to suggest our priority should be the league?

It's Rafa and the LFC hierarchy who will take the decisions, we don't decide who to sign in the transfer window, or which team is put out in the league.

And do you really think Hicks and Gillett "wouldn't have backed Rafa as strongly" had we won on Wednesday?

I don't think these guys would be as successful as they are if they were that naive.

Yes I do.

It doesn't, what has that question got to do with anything ???

Yes take a look at 2005, the season was hailed as a success despite finishing 5th in the league.

I didn't say our priority shouldn't be the league.

Businessmen are businessmen, they prefer not to spend money.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Mon May 28, 2007 9:13 pm

I'm sorry but what you have just said is absolute nonsense IN MY OPINION.

The league season in 04/05 was NOT hailed as a succes just because of Istanbul, nor would it have been had we won in Athens.

That is my point, do you really think after 17 years without the title that a champions league victory is enough to act as a smokescreen for our domestic failures?

You may have thought so, but I know most Liverpool fans see the league as being the main indicator of progression.

And as for "Businessmen are businessmen, they prefer not to spend money"

Of course in an IDEAL world they would not have to fork out a penny.

In the REAL world, they are acutely aware of the need to invest in the playing squad, why do you think they have been going on about generating extra revenue to compete with Man u and Chelsea so often?

In the short term, they have said time after time "we will back Rafa in the transfer market, there is not definitive figure, it is player specific".
LFC2007

Postby adamnbarrett » Mon May 28, 2007 9:52 pm

LFC2007 wrote:I'm sorry but what you have just said is absolute nonsense IN MY OPINION.

The league season in 04/05 was NOT hailed as a succes just because of Istanbul, nor would it have been had we won in Athens.

That is my point, do you really think after 17 years without the title that a champions league victory is enough to act as a smokescreen for our domestic failures?

You may have thought so, but I know most Liverpool fans see the league as being the main indicator of progression.

And as for "Businessmen are businessmen, they prefer not to spend money"

Of course in an IDEAL world they would not have to fork out a penny.

In the REAL world, they are acutely aware of the need to invest in the playing squad, why do you think they have been going on about generating extra revenue to compete with Man u and Chelsea so often?

In the short term, they have said time after time "we will back Rafa in the transfer market, there is not definitive figure, it is player specific".

there is a difference between 'maybe' and the defo wont.

Your opinion.

Ask any other Liverpool fan at the time of the Istanbul win and they'd of said that it was a great season. But we all know it wasn't.

IMO I don't think after 17 years without the title that a champions league victory is enough to act as a smokescreen for our domestic failures but for some fans (not including myself) it would.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Mon May 28, 2007 10:04 pm

adamnbarrett wrote:Ask any other Liverpool fan at the time of the Istanbul win and they'd of said that it was a great season. But we all know it wasn't.

So "we all know it wasn't" a great season yet "any other Liverpool fan" thinks it was a great season.

You've just contradicted yourself.

I would say the VAST majority of Liverpool fans are aware that the CL victory in 2005 did absolutely nothing to alleviate the failures in the Premiership.

The CL victory as an achievment on its own was great, but separate the league from that and it was certainly not a "great" season.
LFC2007

Postby adamnbarrett » Mon May 28, 2007 10:07 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
adamnbarrett wrote:Ask any other Liverpool fan at the time of the Istanbul win and they'd of said that it was a great season. But we all know it wasn't.

So "we all know it wasn't" a great season yet "any other Liverpool fan" thinks it was a great season.

You've just contradicted yourself.

I would say the VAST majority of Liverpool fans are aware that the CL victory in 2005 did absolutely nothing to alleviate the failures in the Premiership.

The CL victory as an achievment on its own was great, but separate the league from that and it was certainly not a "great" season.

What I mean is that many people blanked out the poor league performance because the cup win was on everybody's lips.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Mon May 28, 2007 10:10 pm

I disagree, most Liverpool fans thought the 2005 CL victory was out of this world, but that takes nothing away from the league. We all knew there was still plenty of work to be done for the following season.
LFC2007

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion