Zenden - Should we keep him?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bad Bob » Wed May 09, 2007 12:58 pm

stmichael wrote:Depends what we can get in his place.

All I'll say is it's a sign of how far we come when somebody like him is regarded as our weakest player and the one who is made the sacrificial lamb, as opposed to no-marks like Diao and Cheyrou.

True.  I expect he'll be shipped out this summer and replaced by someone much better at LM (he's already been 'replaced' 4 times over at CM) but I do applaud his effort when he's played for us.  I'll love him if he pulls a Smicer in Athens, too!  :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Wed May 09, 2007 1:06 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
stmichael wrote:Depends what we can get in his place.

All I'll say is it's a sign of how far we come when somebody like him is regarded as our weakest player and the one who is made the sacrificial lamb, as opposed to no-marks like Diao and Cheyrou.

True.  I expect he'll be shipped out this summer and replaced by someone much better at LM (he's already been 'replaced' 4 times over at CM) but I do applaud his effort when he's played for us.  I'll love him if he pulls a Smicer in Athens, too!  :D

Talking of Smicer I dont know if you saw this Bob, but Smicer  did a live chat the other day. Sounds a great bloke that still has great affection for Liverpool.

Moderator: Vladimír Šmicer will be joining the chat room shortly. You can start sending your questions now.
kompo: hello
irish pool fan: hello
Hakan Sukur: hi
Wangatang: hallo
BeN: hello
Maltese Red: hi guys
Maltese Red: Vladi youre a LEGEND! Ure the best
CalvinAnfieldIron: hello lads
BornRed: Vladi, thanks for that goal mate. I'm forever thankful for that
volenti_1992: hi
woody: Hi!
wolvega B1: great goal still like to watch it again
Moderator: Please send your questions in English.
Hafeez: hi
marcoampere: hi!
ujfalusi_ostrava: hi
Chris: hi
Pascal: hi
Lemarc: Thank you for such a MAGICAL GAME in Istanbul!
Vladimír Šmicer: Hi everyone!
mets: hi
Junski: I felt at Liverpool we only saw short periods of you at your best (but they were moments we will forever treasure!). Do you also feel that you never fulfilled your potential at Anfield especially due to all the injuries?
senga: hi vlad
Vladimír Šmicer: I think injuries are one of the main reasons why I didn't show my best football for longer periods. Every season I collected injuries. I was unlucky there. I needed regular football to produce my best form but never really got it because of injuries and also because there were also many good players at Anfield. I also feel I could have done better at Liverpool but its one of those things.
tariku: What are the chances for your club Bordeaux to reach the second place in the championship?
Vladimír Šmicer: I think our season up until now has been up and down. When we played in the Champions League we tended to drop points in the French league. Now we are playing some great football. We want to win our last three games but it won't be easy because we end with two away matches. We are going to give our best to finish second in the league.
greekscouser: What where your feelings when you were coming on as a substitute during the Champions League final?
Cudi KAKA: www.uefa.com THE BEST of www
Vladimír Šmicer: At the time I was surprised to come on but when Harry Kewell got injured I thought he'd play somebody else; but Rafa called me. I felt physically well before the final so was eager to get on. It was my last match for Liverpool so I was deternined to end it in style. I was free in my head and that was my motivation - to do well for the club in my last match. I wanted to enjoy the big game.
ISTANBUL: What has been the best goal of your career? As a Red I would have to say I loved your goal in Istanbul - but also the volley against Chelsea in the league.
Lee LFC 5 times: Vladi i for one would like to thankyou on behalf of every Liverpool fan for everything you did at your time at our club.
Vladimír Šmicer: It is hard to say which is my best but the most important has to be that one in Istanbul! I can still imagine it every day! It gave me the chance to touch that famous trophy and to bring such happiness to Liverpool fans. My volley v Chelsea was quite good too. Heskey crossed it and I got the winner in the last minute! I never lost against Chelsea - they were my lucky team!
clarkey11: What is the secret to Rafa's success in Europe?
Vladimír Šmicer: Rafa's record in Europe is amazing. It's his destiny to win the big cups. He prepares teams very well in the Champions League and we all knew exactlly what we had to do. There were no surprises. Against Juve in the semi he told us the plan in detail and we carried it out, as he asked. The same v Chelsea.He is still learning Premiership football and he will do better with each year in England too.
Paddy's mate: Vladi, what was it like scoring such a crucial goal and penalty in your last game, the European Cup Final?
Vladimír Šmicer: Scoring the penalty was the biggest test of my whole career. It's easy to say no when you are asked by the manager but I wanted to prove my worth. I was 32 and wanted to show I wasn't afraid to take the responsibiity. I told Rafa I'd love to take one. I sent Dida the wrong way. I told Milan Baros I'd put it right, but Dida kept going left! Milan told me to stick with it and Dida went left again!
Vladimír Šmicer: It was such an imoprtant goal for me. If I'd missed, my last game in a Liverpool shirt might have ended differently. The pressure was big. I felt so proud to score. It was easily the best day of my life.
tariku: What is your goal for the end of your career?
Vladimír Šmicer: Last February I had a muscle injury in my hamstring and it cost me the World Cup and some of this year too. I'm playing again now so my target is to play at least one more year and take some pleasure from these last few months. I just want to enjoy the last year of my career. Most of my ambitions have been fulfilled so now I want to have fun and relax - but also to win!
Frank's Wild Years: When scoring 'that' goal in Istanbul (thank you!), did it feel like the ultimate vindication for what was often a very stop/start spell at Liverpool? And other than that, what was your favourite moment for Liverpool?
Vladimír Šmicer: My other favourite moments for Liverpool came in 2001 when we won 5 trophies. I played the full season and it was the year I played my best football for Liverpool that season. Just signing for Liverpool in itself was a dream because I supported them as a kid. It was a dream come true. The year 2001 was my other highlight for sure but nothing will compare to that win in 2005!
Vladimír Šmicer: I will also remember the pride I felt playing for Liverpool. The fans sometimes did not like the way I played but I accepted it and still loved every minute of it.
BeN: Hi Vladimir. At Liverpool you played with your fellow Czechs Patrick Berger and Milan Baros. What do you think of them, and what do you think of the Czech Rep team currently?
Vladimír Šmicer: Milan was on top form in 2004, it was a pity he left Liverpool for Villa, but he's in Lyon now starting again. I think he can recover his best form soon, I hope so. With Patrik Berger - he is still the most talented Czech player of his generation. His left foot is magic. He scored some lovely goals for the Reds. His injuries have destroyed his career more than most. He's been so unlucky. Liverpool fans love him.
Vladimír Šmicer: As for the Czech team, right now we are transition. We're missing a lot of great players but we still have some brilliant ones like Čech and Rosický. We need more depth if they are missing.
hels: Hello Vladi its Helen from Liverpool. I hope all is well and you're enjoying life in France. It was lovely to see you back at Anfield for the Bordeaux game and meet you afterwards - lots of love Helen. How does it feel to be classed as a Liverpool Legend?
Vladimír Šmicer: Hi Helen! I am not sure I am a legend! It is kind of you to say. I am just happy to have been a Liverpool player. I had six great years and if the fans think I did a good job I feel proud. True Liverpool legends are Gerrard and Carraghers. They are unbelievable!
Zlatan: Hi Vladimir, a few words for Liverpool's awesome fans? Do you think they will be key to success in Athens?
dave: Hello Vlad. i was in Istanbul and had the best week of my life. Just a quick note to say thankyou for your goal and pen. You are a legend and hope to see you in athens cheering the reds
Vladimír Šmicer: Liverpool fans are always awesome. They are the key. At 3-0 down they were amazing in Istanbul. They lifted us so much. You know that Liverpool fans will be with them. The players know you are obligated to give the fans success because they crave it so much. They will make a lot of noise in Athens for sure! It's the final and they will make it one to remember. Reds fans deserve it.
fatbury: Hi - Julien Faubert is a player I admire at Bordeaux and I think he would do a good job at a Premiership club? Do you agree?
mikeyboy: vladimir, if your not doing anything on the 23rd your welcome to come to our party in Athens
Vladimír Šmicer: Julien Faubert asks me about the Premiership a lot and I think it is his dream. His style of play will help him there. He is strong, fast and has total commitment. He will suit the English game and I think he wants to go there one day. I hope he gets a chance.
dissy8: How disappointed were you not to get the chance to play at Anfield for Bordeaux? You would have got a great reception.
Vladimír Šmicer: I was so gutted not to play at Anfield that night. I never had a chance to say goodbye to the Reds fans after Istanbul. I was so disappointed. I wish Rafa had played me against Aston Villa in the last Premiership game before Istanbul. After six years I would have loved to have said bye to the Anfield fans. When I was not in the squad I was so sad. The Bordeaux match was my chance to get a reception .
Vladimír Šmicer: But the injuries killed me and it was impossible to play. Maybe one day I will play a friendly or something at Anfield. I hope so!
travelling/watching the game?
Vladimír Šmicer: I'd love to be in Athens but we have a game that weekend so we might have training the next day. If we are guaranteed second place already I will ask the coach if I can go to Athens but if we still have something to play for, I will have to miss out. Next year I will go to the final when Liverpool are in it again!
BURNA: Vladimir, just want to say thanks for your part in the greatest Reds match so far, i watched it again the other day. WEL DONE MATE!!
RedMike-86-: I echo that, many thanks for the years you dedicated to Liverpool FC Vlad - You'll Never Walk Alone!
Finnish Red: Vlad, best regards from Finland and just wanted to thank you for all those years at Anfield. Always in our hearts!
niz: Hi, Vladimir, you have been a part of the Czech national team at the major championships, and have come very close to winning the European Championship in particular on two occasions. How would you sum up your international career? Any regrets?
Vladimír Šmicer: I think I did well for the national team. It all started in 1993, I played in three EUROs, had 81 caps and 27 goals, so I think I did well for my country. My only regret was not playing in the World Cup finals with the Czech Republic team. Aside from that I have no regrets and I enjoyed it a lot.
Czech-Mate: Hi Vladi, thanks for making us reds happy, especially in Istanbul!
LeighC: Hi Vladimir, What do you think about the new American owners at Liverpool football club and do you think its good news for the club as a whole.
Vladimír Šmicer: Honestly I don't know if Liverpool's new owners are a good thing. I hope so! If they are bringing more money it will be good. I knew the former owner and he was a special man. He was quiet but a real fan. I hope the new owners will follow the team with as much support as David Moores.
Numbers: With your experience in Istanbul in mind, are AC Milan better or weaker than 2005? Tactially how do you see us beating them? And most importantly, should we give them a four- or five-goal lead this time?
Vladimír Šmicer: It's best not to give Milan a four or five goal lead this time! It was a miracle before, and something that might not be repeated ever. How we won that game still amazes me. I hope Liverpool lead this time. I think both teams are similar to 2005. Up front Milan aren't scoring goals. Liverpool have to stop Kaká and Gattuso. Benítez will get it right again. Come on the Reds!
Reddave7: Vladi mate you're a legend at this great club. Thanks for your goal and penalty in Istanbul. It was a shame you couldn't play against Liverpool for Bordeaux earlier this season because the Kop could have really thanked you. Good luck with the rest of your career.
Vladimír Šmicer: Thanks everyone, I really enjoyed it. Good luck Liverpool in Athens. See you soon!
account deleted by request

Postby Owzat » Wed May 09, 2007 1:41 pm

Effes wrote:He just hasn't got the quality we need to progress.

Exactly. It is reckoned he will leave, heading for PSV. What we need is top quality and too many players have come in from mediocre English clubs

Zenden - Boro
Crouch - Southampton
Fowler - Man City
Bellamy - Blackburn
Mascherano - West Ham
Pennant - Birmingham
Hobbs - Lincoln
Finnan - Fulham
Anderson - Hull

Not saying they're rubbish but you generally associate quality of player with size of club. Top quality players don't generally go down and then back up the leagues again. Mascherano is obviously an exceptional circumstance
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed May 09, 2007 1:43 pm

Nice read, that--cheers Saint.  Smicer was a trier and he came through on the big stage.  He'll always have my utmost respect for that!  :nod  I really do consider Bolo to be Smicer Mark II.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby EddieC » Wed May 09, 2007 3:07 pm

Owzat wrote:
Effes wrote:He just hasn't got the quality we need to progress.

Exactly. It is reckoned he will leave, heading for PSV. What we need is top quality and too many players have come in from mediocre English clubs

Zenden - Boro
Crouch - Southampton
Fowler - Man City
Bellamy - Blackburn
Mascherano - West Ham
Pennant - Birmingham
Hobbs - Lincoln
Finnan - Fulham
Anderson - Hull

Not saying they're rubbish but you generally associate quality of player with size of club. Top quality players don't generally go down and then back up the leagues again. Mascherano is obviously an exceptional circumstance

Sorry mate, but I don't agree with that at all. Apart from academy players, near enough every player at a big club will have come from a smaller club.

Crouch came from Southampton, does that mean that none of the big clubs should look at Gareth Bale, or Arsenal shouldn't have signed Walcott? Finnan came from Fulham, so did Van Der Saar & Saha, they've just won the prem. Fowler came from Man City, small club, so we shouldn't bother bidding for Micah Richards. Mascherano came from West Ham, as did Joe Cole, Rio Ferdinand and others.

The point is, it doesn't matter where a player comes from as long as they're good enough. Stuart Pearce was still playing non-league footie into his twenties FFS.
Last edited by EddieC on Wed May 09, 2007 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed May 09, 2007 9:55 pm

Sadly Zenden isn't good enough...at best he's average and that isn't enough for our squad players anymore.  We need 22 class players and the likes of Gonzalez and Zenden should be moved on ASAP
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kop On » Wed May 09, 2007 10:23 pm

I’d keep him, he’s a good professional, someone who won’t mind being a squad player and I feel he has enough quality to come on and help the team, there’s little reason in shafting him to another club. He holds all of the vital qualities you could ask for in a person and in a player. He works hard, he is like a gelling agent in the dressing room, he comes across as a good professional and a thoroughly decent person, I have no reason to allow him to leave.

He proved what he can do, by being one of our better performers in the semi final. That’s good enough for me, but it’s down to Rafa, after all.

If he does leave, then I’ll be saddened, but I wish him all the best, he’s a good player.
Kop On

Postby RedBlood » Wed May 09, 2007 10:25 pm

hes a nice guy but not good enough
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby europian-kings » Thu May 10, 2007 9:58 pm

i use to hate bolo and wenever i saw him in the starting 11 or coming on as a sub i use to shout at the screen and wonder wat rafa was thinkin about, but in these past few games i have seen something from him that i never did before.
ok he isnt the fastest, best tackler or wat have u in the game but u can tell he gives 110% effort each game which has impressed me. hes allways chasin the ball and reads the game really well, i for one hope to see him here for at least another season.
europian-kings
LFC Super Member

Postby DazH- » Thu May 10, 2007 10:06 pm

Anyone else think the Zenden situation is like Biscan's 2 years ago? Contract almost up, played a part in getting to the champions league final, but not quite good enough for Liverpool......
DazH-

Postby Rafa D » Fri May 11, 2007 6:55 am

DazH- wrote:Anyone else think the Zenden situation is like Biscan's 2 years ago? Contract almost up, played a part in getting to the champions league final, but not quite good enough for Liverpool......

I think he's done a lot more for us than Biscan did in the games he has played. Remember how bad Igor was in his ealry years? He was terrible.

Zenden's done a lot better than Biscan for me, but I see were you are coming from.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri May 11, 2007 11:11 am

Doddy do you really believe he should be given a new contract ?
I have been reading this thread with interest and am surprised if you do think we should keep him.

Granted he has done ok in the games against Chelsea....as a stop gap. But as you said he needs time and space and if you think about it realistically the games he may get a look in are the ones where we are playing poorer sides that are more up and at em, like the Sheffield uniteds etc.
Added to the fact that he came on a free so his wages are probably not cheap, i would definately be thanking him for his contribution and moving him on, sort of like Smicer and Biscan.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Marianne » Mon May 14, 2007 8:26 pm

I think we can afford to get rid of him-he doesnt really bring any benefits to our club...???
Oh Gerro we love you
Marianne

Postby mungi » Tue May 15, 2007 8:59 am

zenden should sadly move on, great pro but i think lacks that killer touch such as putting in one great pass a shot on goal. needs to beat ppl more often instead of truning his back. good lad and has done some good service to liverpool YNWA
mungi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion