Centre backs - Who will we have next season

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stapo1000 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:31 am

It's a key area of the pitch where we MUST improve next season. Hyypia and Henchoz had far too many mix-ups last season which led to goals. I think Henchoz is past his best but Hyppia still has a few years left in him. There were a lot of full backs who did well in euro 04(ujfalusi and dellas to name 2). Who would you geT? ???? ????
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:33 am

Lets not forget Igor Biscan's influence on our central defence last season.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:37 am

Agreed, Stapo.

Actually, both of them are far too slow and decent pace is an asset for defenders especially if they were to employ the offside trap effectively.

That Calvarho (did I get the name right?), the Portugese centreback is one very useful player, with good ball control but I think he is far too expensive for us tight now as the new money from the Thais or whoever is not forthcoming anymore. Good central defenders have to be well organised as well and need not be turlly world class to be effective, just look at the Greeks. Otto Rehangel did not do his reputation any harm at all and I think England would have won the Euro if he were the gaffer as his organisational and tactical knowledge is way above the other coaches.

England has the necessary quality, only lack organisational discipline and tactical acumen.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stapo1000 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:50 am

YES, PACE IS IDEAL FROM CENTRE BACK AND UFALUSI WAS VERY QUICK AND EFFECTIVE FOR CZECH IN EURO04. I THINK HE(OR DELLAS) BE OUR BEST OPTION FOR NEXT SEASON. IF WE DON'T BUY ANY GOOD FULL BACKS, THEN NEXT SEASON I'D DOUBT WE COULD EVEN COME CLOSE TO CHALLENGING FOR THE TITLE.
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:08 pm

I agree, Henchoz and Hyypia are too slow, especially with the amount of quick strikers these days, Ujfalusi would be my first choice with Ayala  :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:31 pm

How much would they cost, especially with the Czech Republic doing quite well in the last Euro?

Another thing is fi they would be able to cope with the extra physical exertions by the Premiership strikers...however, if you are a classy player, you will always be a classy player no matter in which league you play in. Let's hope Benny get us some decent central defenders.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ROBtheRED » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:11 pm

Michael Dawson from Forest looks very promising and no doubt will be in the premiership very soon.

Carvalho from Portugal looked very useful in the Euro's but would be costly.

I expect Benitez will strengthen the central defence and may look to the spanish league for new faces. Ayala has been widely tipped and is very experienced but don't think he will be the long-term answer. Possibly Peregulino?.. . .Carragher looked very comfortable in the centre towards the end of the season but we will need him as a full back. 
Hopefully Henchoz will return to full fitness and get back to old form but the problem with the Henchoz-Hyypia partnership is the lack of pace, Benitez has already stipulated his team play at a high tempo and will not defend deep, therefore i think a young pacy defender with height would be a great acquisition, my tip would be Dawson.
"The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the kop make you feel great. . .yet humble."   Mr B.Shankly
ROBtheRED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fritzylfc » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:55 pm

remember what happens after big events our managers go daft buy so called super stars , we just finished another comp and were at it .lets all calm down i,m sure rafa won,t do the same as are past managers.theres plenty of time to get the squad together:) :) :) :)
fritzylfc

Postby Paul C » Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:17 pm

What you have to remember with Sami is that the lad has played non stop every season and never has a break, having 3 'class' defenders will do him good cos he will get rested!
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion