Finnan - Best season ever?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:00 am

Ever present,always there,regular,almost impecable,true,real,a footballer, a pro an unsung heroe!

Many will know my admiration for Didi Hamman...to me he was the battery of our team at times.in my mind a footballers footballer!Had passion but never used it in a negative way,had a heart and used it the best a man could..i loved him and always will,He was great!

Now i look at another unsung hero..Steve Finnan!
Non flamboyant..a worker..an essential part of the team and most of all A TRUE LFC PLAYER!

Not the most able of players,what he lacks in ability he more than makes up with effort!
People sing Carras praise at times and rightly so..to me Finnan deserves as much praise!

People were saying he is weak at times..i dont buy that atal!Know alls compare him to others and say he does not get forward enough..he is no threat on the wing!
With Gerrard in front of him and having the intelligence to cover,Finnan can go forward with pace and cross a ball as good as anyone!

Defensively hes as solid as a rock and consistant as they come!

Great player...one we would struggle to replace!
66-1120597113

Postby jkop » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:00 am

Totally agree Barry, Steve is an excellent defender who always does whats asked of him, and if something does'nt go his way he just gets on with it instead of making a big deal out of things, like some defenders. :nod
Were not Brazil were Norn Iron.
          Faugh a Ballagh.
                YNWA
        Healy......Healy !!!!!
jkop
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:42 am

And to think that he nearly left for Spurs after his first season. :oh:

Anyway, my opinion of Finnan. He lacks the pace to be a consistent attacking threat. PSV had no real left sided player but against a lot of teams because of his lack of pace he stays deep and it often leads to teams double marking our right sided player. Assists and goals aren't the only measure of attacking worth. Movement is unmeasured and a clever run can often pull a defender away, making more space, without ever having touched the ball.
Last edited by stmichael on Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby azriahmad » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:50 pm

Finnan still almost always manages to put in better crosses then Pennant and Gonzalez combined.

IMHO, Finnan has been a revelation over the past 2 seasons.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:18 pm

Decent player Finnan, although I thought he was better last season overall. Cast your mind back to the start of this season and Finnan was not too hot.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Feeney » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:22 pm

JBG wrote:Decent player Finnan, although I thought he was better last season overall. Cast your mind back to the start of this season and Finnan was not too hot.

To be fair tho JBG, he wasn't too shabby either and a lot of other players were playing far worse.

I think Finnan's worth is now well documented and even Rafa has had a few things to say about him recently, which is surprising as he normally doesn't say anything positive about his own players publicly. Arbeloa will bring even more from Finnan and I wouldn't be surprised if Finnan is still making regular appearances for us in 2-3 years tome.

Feeney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:32 pm

True Feeney, I guess my point is that Finnan was probably better last year than this, but then again, he was exceptional last year.

Perhaps my analysis is coloured having seen him play terribly (out of position) for the Republic of Ireland a few times this season.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:30 pm

A great servant with a masked passion for this club.

Not the best player (very good, though), but has the best attitude of any rightback in modern history, IMHO. He just gets on with his job and allows others the credit even when he deserves it.

Sad day when he leaves.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:58 pm

Finnans been his usual consistent self this season, but he was better last season, but saying that the whole team was better last year, so he cant be blamed for that. I see Finnan as a good, reliable player who will never let you down, we could probably do better one day, but there are much more important issues to be addresed before we start messing with our defense which is one are biggest strengths.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion