Why does nobody want, - Javier saviola?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby azriahmad » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:52 am

Sabre, in retrospect, I'm glad that we did not re-sign Owen for 16 million pounds because i think Owen is past it - he has lost much of his speed, but he has compensated with the development in other aspects of his game that he is still a good striker, good, but not 16 million pounds good enough.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Elchris » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:06 am

azriahmad wrote:Sabre, in retrospect, I'm glad that we did not re-sign Owen for 16 million pounds because i think Owen is past it - he has lost much of his speed, but he has compensated with the development in other aspects of his game that he is still a good striker, good, but not 16 million pounds good enough.

i agree wif ya about the 16 mp but owen is pure class and i think he still got it.....he can come back to Lfc any time
Elchris

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:08 am

azriahmad wrote:Sabre, in retrospect, I'm glad that we did not re-sign Owen for 16 million pounds because i think Owen is past it - he has lost much of his speed, but he has compensated with the development in other aspects of his game that he is still a good striker, good, but not 16 million pounds good enough.

He'd of been worth 16m, if we'd have sold him to Madrid for 24m in the first place.  :angry:   :D
66-1112520797

Postby crazyhorse » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:35 am

azriahmad wrote:Owen grew up playing football in England and despite his small stature, is used to the physical aspect of the game here.

Saviola, obviously more skillful, had not experienced such a thing. If he comes up against Bolton or Blackburn, I think he'd get such a shock that he may never fancy playing in the EPL again and wished for quick return to more familiar grounds. Add to this the language, food and weather factor, you'd have a recipe for a disasterous spell.

I agree in part, but there are exceptions to the rule..

Junihno and Zola were small in stature but still succeeded here.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:43 pm

Juninho and Zola are the exceptions and also they are not out and out strikers who normally gets man marked by burly EPL defenders. The physical treatment that is considered "fair play" in the British game would not be much tolerated by the refs in Spain.

Like LittleHobo said, a more robust Tevez can't cope much in the EPL (but he is playing for West Ham, if he were playing for the top 4 sides, it would be different), it'd be worse for Saviola.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby spion » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:53 pm

The issue is that Owen no matter how good or bad has moved on & in my opinion Saviola on a free represents value for money. Even if we signed Saviola on a small short term contract we could recoupe the outlay with the transfer cash if he didn't work out.
spion

Postby azriahmad » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:23 pm

Saviola was on quite a lucrative contract, exactly how lucrative I don't know but last season or two the Barca president slated him for not agreeing to take a pay cut when another club showed interest but would not match his wages and he was immediately loaned out as he couldn't be sold. Would he then accept to be within the wage structure of Liverpool?
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion